Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you so much :D
Carolin
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Horner94 wrote: March 4th, 2019, 5:53 pm Hi Luke,
Thank you for your feedback.
I turned up the volume and added another second onto the recording.
Please review audio recording and let me know what you think: https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/firtreefairybook_35_johnson_128kb.mp3 Time 13:34
I tried downloading MP3 Gain, but experienced some problems.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards,
Chad
Hi Chad,
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you on this. I just joined the project. The reading is good and there are just two changes need be made:

1. The bit rate is variable and needs be constant at 128kbps
2. There is over 8 seconds of silence at end and should be ~5 seconds

Also, for future recordings, if it is too much for this one (not totally necessary, I think), is that there is some clipping, degrading the audio quality. It is brief and infrequent here but using a compression (or a limiter) before the amplification should help tame those peaks.
Scotty
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

carrielsherry wrote: March 8th, 2019, 12:35 pm Hi Carolin,

I've finally got section 5 ready; I've been sick for most of the past two months, but I think my voice is mostly back on track now!!

section #05 -- https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/firtreefairybook_05_johnson_128kb.mp3 (16:51)

Please let me know if there are any improvements you'd like; I switched mics from the one I used on my test to get something a little more consistent and the sound is slightly echoey (but no more than some others that have been approved). Let me know if you'd like me to do some sound editing or to rerecord.

Thanks!
PL OK! :thumbs: Nice reading. I can't tell you how many times I read this to my daughter during her princess phase. :)

In future, I would just watch the beginning silence as it should be less than one second, but it isn't noticibly longer here.
Scotty
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

enz2103 wrote: March 31st, 2019, 12:44 am I have completed my recording of chapter 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/firtreefairybook_02_johnson_128kb.mp3

The total length is 21:26
Nice work. Only two easy PL notes (no recording required):

1. At 10:34 there is throat clearing that could be cut out
2. While in there, could you trim the end silence to ~5 seconds, as it is at least 6.5

Thanks for the story!
Scotty
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you so much :9:
Carolin
LexHankins

Post by LexHankins »

iBeScotty wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 7:36 pm ... Also, for future recordings, if it is too much for this one (not totally necessary, I think), is that there is some clipping, degrading the audio quality. It is brief and infrequent here but using a compression (or a limiter) before the amplification should help tame those peaks.
Pardon the intrusion, but I thought the only way to deal with clipping is to reduce the gain (microphone level) before recording. When someone says, "compression", I usually think of dynamic compression, which generally makes soft sounds louder, right?
--
Lex (she/her)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

If clipping is caused due to high input volume, you are right, theres nothing that can be done after the fact. But clipping is often caused due to too much amplification, and that can be avoided in the way scott explained. Thank you!
Carolin
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Yes, if you find you are amplifying to raise the average volume and you are clipping then the dynamic range is a bit wide and compression will squash it. Compression by itself does not amplify, though some filters may build it in to compensate. (And a limiter is an extreme kind of compression, taking down the peaks.) Of course, once the signal is amplified, or pre-amplified, to clipping then the distortion is baked in.

Edit: I should add that if you are clipping without amplifying in the DAW (Audacity?) then that is an input levels issue which is easily eliminated by making sure you have enough headroom. The standard way to set levels is make the loudest sound you will record into the mic while watching the meter and adjust the level to -12dB. This should leave plenty of headroom to amplify later.
Scotty
carrielsherry

Post by carrielsherry »

Are there any of these for which orphanage is impending? I'd be happy to help with one or two of them if needed.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you! I just went through the old claims and i did orphan a bunch of sections :thumbs:

Which one(s) would you like?
Carolin
enz2103

Post by enz2103 »

iBeScotty wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 7:44 pm
enz2103 wrote: March 31st, 2019, 12:44 am I have completed my recording of chapter 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/firtreefairybook_02_johnson_128kb.mp3

The total length is 21:26
Nice work. Only two easy PL notes (no recording required):

1. At 10:34 there is throat clearing that could be cut out
2. While in there, could you trim the end silence to ~5 seconds, as it is at least 6.5

Thanks for the story!
Here is the fixed version: https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/firtreefairybook_02_johnson_128kb.mp3

Thank you!
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

enz2103 wrote: May 9th, 2019, 9:06 am Here is the fixed version: https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/firtreefairybook_02_johnson_128kb.mp3

Thank you!
PL OK! :thumbs:
Scotty
vijeta6

Post by vijeta6 »

May I claim The Darning Needle section 38?
vijeta6

Post by vijeta6 »

May I claim section 41-The Princess and the giant?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all!
Carolin