COMPLETE[PLAY]The Benefit of the Doubt by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

I should be finished within a couple of days tops. My Scottish accent is so bad :oops: but, I have to do it because, to me, it's obvious he grew up there, so, I'm just going for it! (terrified face here). No more trying to get it right, I'm doing it. Will deliver soon. Thanks so much for your patience :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Treefairy wrote: March 30th, 2019, 4:52 amI should be finished within a couple of days tops. My Scottish accent is so bad :oops: but, I have to do it because, to me, it's obvious he grew up there, so, I'm just going for it! (terrified face here). No more trying to get it right, I'm doing it. Will deliver soon. Thanks so much for your patience :)
oh don't worry too much about the accent. I'm sure it will be fine. I also sometimes do a "faux-scot" as I call it, it's surely nothing authentic but I do my best and I think it will make a nice effect. And you never know, in a part of Scotland, they may just talk like you do ;) Or it's Fraser quaint personal accent that you bring in. There is always an explanation for any interpretation.

Looking forward to it. You're the final role we're waiting for. :9:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: March 29th, 2019, 8:52 pmMrs. Quinton Twelves, Act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/benefitofthedoubt_mrsquintontwelves_1_128kb.mp3
a wonderful Kitty-performance, TJ :clap: I especially love the final lines where you "cringe under my scathing stare" :mrgreen: I guess Mrs Cloys has put poor Kitty through a trauma at one point. In any case, an endearing character somehow and wonderfully acted out. PL ok. Thanks !!!!

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kitty wrote: March 29th, 2019, 4:47 am > for the voice credit, could you give us the full description, please “Justina Emptage, her daughter

> at 15:58: It’s in the Red Book. [Pointing to the writing-table.] Claude——! – could you leave a bit more space for the stage directions here, please ? In some parts your spaces are quite short but still manageable for Todd to fiddle with, but here you don't leave any space at all. :?
Fixed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/benefitofthedoubt_justina_1_128kb.mp3
17:52

Just for my understanding, that I do it right in future cases - the pauses in a role generally are for the most part to mark the different snippets in order that they easily can be found, or do I have to leave like the space needed for the whole for example sentence(s) of stage directions?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote: March 30th, 2019, 9:36 amJust for my understanding, that I do it right in future cases - the pauses in a role generally are for the most part to mark the different snippets in order that they easily can be found, or do I have to leave like the space needed for the whole for example sentence(s) of stage directions?
thank you, PL ok now.

And yes, the space between the different speaking chunks are so that the editor can visually see it better where the new chunk starts. You do not leave more space if another character speaks 15 lines or if they only say "Oh" before you start again. It would be hard for you to guess how much space would be needed and the files would become very long :shock:

What I do is, in the end I go back through all my recording and simply make a copy/paste of 2 seconds of silence between every chunk uniformly, so it's easily seen where a new one starts. 2 seconds seems like a good measure, 3 of course would probably be even better (but Todd never complained at 2, so I think that's fine :mrgreen: )

Sonia
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

Act 1 is ready, I've left about 15 seconds in between each line so it's easy to put together. Is that okay? Should I edit it differently? If it's okay, I'm ready to upload. Thanks so much
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

Oops, I just saw the answer above mine...Is 15 seconds too long? I'll put together act3 while I"m waiting for your answer. :) Thanks for your patience :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Treefairy wrote: March 30th, 2019, 9:08 pmAct 1 is ready, I've left about 15 seconds in between each line so it's easy to put together. Is that okay? Should I edit it differently?
:shock: NO !!!! I think 15 seconds is way overdoing it. Your file will be over an hour long. If you don't mind, 2 or 3 seconds is fully enough. You can easily copy/paste a 3-second-break while highlighting every 15-second-break along the way.

Well...if it's too much to do then you can upload it like this, better too much than not enough, but really, for the next acts, 3 seconds is enough ;)

thank you

Sonia
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

Okay,no problem, I was just going to look for the answer to that question from another time. I remember a specific time. I'll keep it to 3 seconds. Thanks!
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wonderful Robin, and I find your accent simply delicious 8-) and you put in a deeper voice to sound more male, which is also an added bonus. :thumbs: I don't think you needed to have any doubts about your performance. You play hesitating and suspicious Fraser really well.

I have a few notes to correct still, but nothing much. In some places you forgot to insert the breaks, especially when the stage directions were inside your speech, you need to be careful about this as well in the 3rd act. I noted only a few down here, as the others are still long enough for Todd to handle:

> first the volume is extremely low, only 78 dB. Todd will adjust the volume anyway in the editing phase, but since you have to reupload anyway, could you amplify by 10 dB maybe ? That way I will also hear it all better ;)

> at 0:01: for the voice credit, could you please give us the full description (as in the MW): "Alexander Fraser—“Fraser of Locheen”, read by Robin"

> at 0:07: "Thanks. [Standing at the further end of the piano, to SIR FLETCHER.] Do you mind not playing?" - here you would need to leave 2 seconds for the stage directions as well

> at 0:25: "Of course. [Agitated.] I—I’ll tell them, if you like." - you are saying this rather agitatedly, so the stage directions will surely be cut out, still it's always helpful to leave the space, just in case we need it. I guess you don't need to do it in this instance though, as it's really well done, I only mention it for a next time ;) Better leave Todd the option of inserting a narrator, if needed

> at about 2:25: missing line: "No."

> at 3:50: "There will be only to-morrow to settle everything" - you say "no tomorrow", which is a bit exaggerated, even for Fraser :lol:

> at 3:54: "to make all arrangements. [Pacing up and down.] The servants at Lennox Gardens " - please insert missing break for stage directions

> at 4:06: "and have done with it. [Pausing in his walk.] I am returning to Lennox Gardens now" - same here: longer break

thanks, and looking forward to the next act :9:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 2 is 1 hour and 40 minutes long! Good thing I already had Larry record "Part 1" and "Part 2" words to add to intro and outro. It'll get a bit shorter as I edit and smooth it, but not by enough to fit one section.

Still no Internet except for on my phone, so I can't upload or download anything.

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ToddHW wrote: March 31st, 2019, 2:21 pm Act 2 is 1 hour and 40 minutes long! Good thing I already had Larry record "Part 1" and "Part 2" words to add to intro and outro. It'll get a bit shorter as I edit and smooth it, but not by enough to fit one section.

Still no Internet except for on my phone, so I can't upload or download anything.

Thanks, Todd
I wonder how Todd is coping without access to the Internet and Librivox?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDa_cpgHWs

Cheers
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

Thanks for the feedback, Sonia! I'm on it. I'm working to have them both to you within 24 hours. Thanks again!
Robin :)
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »