(Complete) The privilege of pain - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I had some time, so I've gone ahead and recorded the Introduction:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/privilegeofpain_00_everett_128kb.mp3 (6:28)

This is a very interesting little book - I'd also like to read Chapter 18 please, Pain: the Great Teacher.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Fritz and Beth,
Fritz, thanks for chapter 10. Would you like to read more chapters from the book?
Beth, sure, the introduction is all yours.
Have fun,
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

MW updated.

I have also edited the spelling of the author's name.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 00 - Introduction

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Moved to Readers Wanted.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 10 - Chapter X: THE FREEDOM OF ILL-HEALTH

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Thank you Anthony. :thumbs:
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

And here's Section 16, the last chapter and conclusion combined:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/privilegeofpain_16_everett_128kb.mp3 (11:07)

There are some great quotes here, if anything is wanted for the catalogue summary!
The efficacy of suffering in promoting the growth of the spirit seems to me to lie chiefly in the fact that it does for us what we so seldom have the courage to do for ourselves. It sweeps away all the rubbish and dust of life. In the blessed emptiness induced by this mental house-cleaning we are able, often for the first time, to separate clearly the essential from the unessential. In sickness soul and body demand instinctively only that which is for each its most imperative necessity. In the crucible of suffering the true essence of our character becomes manifest.
The race reaches toward an ideal of ultimate perfection, just as a plant stretches upward towards the sun. Both are unattainable. The tide flows only to ebb, the field must be sown anew year after year; we build cities knowing that time will eventually destroy them... but after the ebb comes the tide, bringing ever new treasures to our shores; the germ of spring lies hidden in the barren breast of autumn; out of the ashes of vast cities still greater cities will arise, and Death is but the portal of Life. No physical disablement is a barrier to achievement. This is the glorious fact which the illustrious men and women I have enumerated have proved beyond the possibility of dispute.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Elizabby wrote: January 30th, 2019, 8:54 pm And here's Section 16, the last chapter and conclusion combined:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/privilegeofpain_16_everett_128kb.mp3 (11:07)

There are some great quotes here, if anything is wanted for the catalogue summary!
The efficacy of suffering in promoting the growth of the spirit seems to me to lie chiefly in the fact that it does for us what we so seldom have the courage to do for ourselves. It sweeps away all the rubbish and dust of life. In the blessed emptiness induced by this mental house-cleaning we are able, often for the first time, to separate clearly the essential from the unessential. In sickness soul and body demand instinctively only that which is for each its most imperative necessity. In the crucible of suffering the true essence of our character becomes manifest.
The race reaches toward an ideal of ultimate perfection, just as a plant stretches upward towards the sun. Both are unattainable. The tide flows only to ebb, the field must be sown anew year after year; we build cities knowing that time will eventually destroy them... but after the ebb comes the tide, bringing ever new treasures to our shores; the germ of spring lies hidden in the barren breast of autumn; out of the ashes of vast cities still greater cities will arise, and Death is but the portal of Life. No physical disablement is a barrier to achievement. This is the glorious fact which the illustrious men and women I have enumerated have proved beyond the possibility of dispute.
Added to MW
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you both. Beth, if you want to sign up for more, just let me know (smile).
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 16

PL OK
Anthony

zoelyons

Post by zoelyons »

Hello,
I’d like to claim sections 4 & 5 if you’re willing!
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello,
sure, chapters 4 and 5 are all yours. Have fun,
Stav.
Nichalia

Post by Nichalia »

Can I read 4 and 11?

Also... what is happening with these spellings? Helph (health) and loads of s in musicians...
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi,sure, I can give you 11. But 4 has already been claimed. Would you like to read another chapter instedd? Available chapters are those which are marked opened in the magic window, on the first post. I thought I copied the titles from the etext, but would change the spelling as you suggested. Sorry for missing that. I am blind so it is more dificalt for me to spell correctly.
Stav.