COMPLETE[PLAY]Hecyra: The Mother-In-Law by Terence - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: January 20th, 2019, 10:43 am Phidippus act 3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_phidippus_3.mp3
ah Phidippus seems to be a nice character, who at least fights for his daughter. :thumbs: Another perfect Act, Alan, thank you so much. PL ok again.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I got all ready to do my role here since it is short and sweet and just the right thing before going to bed, but I'm running into a problem since she actually HAS to pronounce a name... :roll:

Which one is it: PARmeno / parMEno / parmeNO
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: January 25th, 2019, 9:17 am Which one is it: PARmeno / parMEno / parmeNO
Eva consulted google translate and they said ParMENo: viewtopic.php?p=1545367#p1545367

I personally would say PARmeno (actually I did say the name), but you know Todd's approach, it doesn't really matter, as long as you stay consistent within your own reading. :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Laches is in the MW ready for PL. Kind ofa grumpy character that actually ends up very evenhanded and rational.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 29th, 2019, 2:53 pm Laches is in the MW ready for PL. Kind ofa grumpy character that actually ends up very evenhanded and rational.
this role is splendid, Todd, and you did it great justice. I especially love this scene where he finally loses it with his son and yells as him to mend his ways. While you didn't actually yell (for fear of clipping :lol: ) I can definitely hear the suppressed outrage in your perfomance. :thumbs: great job

All of Laches PL ok.

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Philotis, the courtesan who exists for the sole purpose of expository gossip-mongering:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_philotis_1_128kb.mp3
3:37
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: January 31st, 2019, 12:00 am Philotis, the courtesan who exists for the sole purpose of expository gossip-mongering:
:lol: throughout the performance I was not really sure whether Philotis is a good friend to Bacchis now, who is worried genuinely about her, or whether she is more of a spiteful nature, gloating secretly about her misfortune. You make it quite ambiguous, sometimes having one tone of voice and sometimes another. :thumbs: I like it.

And PL ok btw ;)

thank you, great job. I wish Terence had included a dialogue between Bacchis and Philotis, maybe it would have become clearer. In any case, we would have had fun doing it.

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Kitty wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:29 am
mightyfelix wrote: January 31st, 2019, 12:00 am Philotis, the courtesan who exists for the sole purpose of expository gossip-mongering:
:lol: throughout the performance I was not really sure whether Philotis is a good friend to Bacchis now, who is worried genuinely about her, or whether she is more of a spiteful nature, gloating secretly about her misfortune.
With the line to Philo, I don’t think it was gallant in the captain to place a restraint on your tongue, I think we know where Parmeno stands on this ...
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:29 am :lol: throughout the performance I was not really sure whether Philotis is a good friend to Bacchis now, who is worried genuinely about her, or whether she is more of a spiteful nature, gloating secretly about her misfortune. You make it quite ambiguous, sometimes having one tone of voice and sometimes another. :thumbs: I like it.
Haha you're right, and it could go either way! I didn't even think about it, but took her words at face value. So any ambiguity on my part was unintentional. But I agree with you that it works well that way. And anyway, Philotis has to go meet a stranger now, so we'll never know! :lol:
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Here is Pamphilus. I tried not to make him someone likable, opting to use a moody and abrasive tone for the first two acts. So much hypocrisy from him in the end, when he is celebrating the fact that no other rapist exists except him. :roll: All that mirth is so unearned. I hope any reasonable listener will want to give him a swift kick in the rear after this LOL. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_pamphilus_3_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_pamphilus_4_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_pamphilus_5_128kb.mp3
Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: February 1st, 2019, 7:30 pmSo much hypocrisy from him in the end, when he is celebrating the fact that no other rapist exists except him. :roll: All that mirth is so unearned. I hope any reasonable listener will want to give him a swift kick in the rear after this LOL. :lol:
I agree, it sounds a bit unfair that he gets all he wants in the end. I also wonder how Philumena will take the news that she married her ravisher. Well, maybe she gives him the excuse that he was drunk when it happened. :hmm:

In any case, you gave the role a real character, Tomas, and his emotions are very graphic and believable all throughout. :thumbs: Excellent job and all 3 acts PL ok.

Well done. Thank you for tackling this controversial role.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

WiltedScribe wrote: February 1st, 2019, 7:30 pm Here is Pamphilus. I tried not to make him someone likable, opting to use a moody and abrasive tone for the first two acts. So much hypocrisy from him in the end, when he is celebrating the fact that no other rapist exists except him. :roll: All that mirth is so unearned. I hope any reasonable listener will want to give him a swift kick in the rear after this LOL. :lol:
Kitty wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 12:15 pm I agree, it sounds a bit unfair that he gets all he wants in the end. I also wonder how Philumena will take the news that she married her ravisher. Well, maybe she gives him the excuse that he was drunk when it happened. :hmm:
As Philumena's mother, we will be having "words" in Act VI, Pamphilus. This is NOT over. Bwaahhh haaa haa haaah (evil stepmother laugh). :evil:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 5:18 am As Philumena's mother, we will be having "words" in Act VI, Pamphilus. This is NOT over. Bwaahhh haaa haa haaah (evil stepmother laugh). :evil:
:lol: we should write an Act 6, definitely ! :thumbs:

Sonia