• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/short-science-fiction-collection-065-by-various/Science fiction is a genre encompassing imaginative works that take place in this world or that of the author’s creation where anything is possible. The only rules are those set forth by the author. The speculative nature of the genre inspires thought and plants seeds that have led to advances in science. The genre can spark an interest in the sciences and is cited as the impetus for the career choice of many scientists. It is a playing field to explore social perspectives, predictions of the future, and engage in adventures unbound into the richness of the human mind. ( A. Gramour)
- This collection is for science fiction recordings of less than 70 minutes in duration
• Text must be in the Public Domain (with expired copyright, or published before 1923)
• Each recording must contain a complete story
• Claiming stories is unnecessary (duplicates are held for future collections)
• There is no deadline (when finished, post to the currently open collection)
For help with LibriVox requirements and policies see the Recording Notes topic
Stories found on the Project Gutenberg US site are cleared for recording
Gutenberg’s Science Fiction Bookshelf is a good starting point.
Gutenberg’s science fiction content is not always cataloged as such (search by other criteria)
Gutenberg plain text, us-ascii, uncompressed files of less than 78 KB or 10,000 story words can generally be read in less than 70 minutes
Project Gutenberg continues to add science fiction magazines such as The Galaxy and Astounding Stories. There you can view the fantastic covers and illustrations that accompany the stories. A compilation of PD stories from Galaxy magazine can be found here: Galaxy PD
The Librivox Main Page also contains pages listing Gutenberg stories appropriate to this collection:
The Science Fiction Short Stories Science Fiction Short Stories page shows stories that can be read in less than 60 minutes.
The Science Fiction by Women bookshelf in Gutenberg can be found here: SF by Women
The Science Fiction Shortish Stories page shows longer stories that may be read in less than 60 minutes depending on your reading speed.
The LibriVox Short Science Fiction Index displays stories already in the LibriVox catalog (Note: duplicates welcome)
A Librivox discussion and suggestion thread on science fiction in the public domain and the new arrivals in PG can be found here: List of Early Science Fiction
Stories from sources other than Gutenberg require evidence of public domain status. For more information see the Copyright and Public Domain page of the LibriVox wiki .
• Recording must be a monaural MP3 file with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and a bit rate of 128 Kbps.
• File name must be formatted entirely in lower case letters and use under-bars to separate values as in: ssf065_titleinoneword_authorlastname_readersinitials_128kb.mp3 (e.g. ssf065_nightfall_asimov_abc_128kb.mp3) Exclude definite articles like “The” from the file name.
• Recording must contain LibriVox announcements at beginning.
Recordings require 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file.
“[story title] by [author]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
You can then optionally say: "Recording by [your name]".
Then repeat: "[Title], by [author]. Translated by [translator]."
"End of [title], by [author] Translated by [translator]."
You can then optionally say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
• Recordings require 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file.
For help with recording issues see the LibriVox Newbie Guide to Recording.
For help with noise cleaning in your recordings see theNoise Cleaningpage of the LibriVox wiki.
Posting completed recordings:
• Send your completed recording to us by using the LibriVox Uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
- You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
- When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
- For help with posting completed recordings see the How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
o The story title
o The author’s name
o The URL displayed by the LibriVox Uploader after the file has successfully uploaded
o The URL for the online version of the text
o The duration of the recording
• If this is your first submission to the Short Science Fiction Collections please provide:
o Your name/pseudonym as you wish it to appear in the LibriVox catalog
o Your personal website URL (optional)
• Check this forum thread frequently for messages pertaining to your story!
Level of prooflistening: standard
Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
BC Admin ===========================================
(PL = Proof-Listening; PLC = Proof-listening Complete; PL OK = ready to catalog)
Questions can be posted to this thread.
Please post below.
Live Long and Prosper!