[COMPLETE]: Recollections of Imperial Russia by Meriel Buchanan - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Well that's great to know!! :-)
Here's a question: Do I have the authority to insert a translation to English after the paragraph?
I think Google Translate offers what seems like a reasonable one, and it would be less frustrating to ANY listener to know what the heck those words meant (especially to French speakers who may not be able to understand what I tried to read! lol)
Jan
Here's the translated paragraph:

"Are you sure that England has left the world that we live in--we Russians? Here we understand nothing--nothing. We do not know anything about them in advance, mostly. It's relaxing, but it seems empty to me. "
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

jmoorehouse wrote: January 24th, 2019, 2:02 pm Here's a question: Do I have the authority to insert a translation to English after the paragraph?
Sadly, no. Our policy is to read it as written. Sometimes readers slip something into the book summary.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Okay then! :-) I will probably get Chapter 1 uploaded this afternoon.
Jan :thumbs:
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

craigdav1 wrote: January 24th, 2019, 2:05 pm Sadly, no. Our policy is to read it as written. Sometimes readers slip something into the book summary.
Dave, did the policy change? I've heard LV books with notes by narrators... These are PD books, after all, it's logical to allow some freedom :? ... but whatever you say, boss.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

karlkuzmich wrote: January 24th, 2019, 2:10 pm These are PD books, after all, it's logical to allow some freedom :? ... but whatever you say, boss.
Narrator comments should not be recorded. I've been the DPL on probably 1000 LV books and none had reader's comments. Freedom to comment is a slippery slope.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

I am compliant to a fault! :lol:
On we go.
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Chapter 1 uploaded--22'10"
Thanks for your help, Karl and Craig.
Go Team!
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Jan, for the pleasure, ch.1 PL OK :thumbs:
If you remember to mark your sections "Ready for PL" in the MW, that would be helpful. Links in the forum are helpful too. But don't worry, eventually I'd find everything either way :-)
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Okay! Good tip. Ready for PL--you'll see that in the future
And thanks!!!
More soon.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/recollectionsofimperialrussia_03_buchanan_128kb._data_.mp3

33'41'

Chapter 3 Ready for Proof Listen

I think I may have covered all bases this time! :hmm:

Jan

P.S.. I had forgotten to use MP3Gain. :oops: NOW it's ready!
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Ch.3. By the "standard" (as requested) PL level it is a resounding PL OK!
However, if you wish, I could help you with Russian proper names. OTOH, Mr. Buchanan did not show much penetration in Rus. history or customs, so maybe that level of perfection would be misplaced here :roll:
Your call, Jan! :D
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

I would very sincerely welcome phonetic support on those Russian names. I've been using Linguatec but have not been certain if I should listen to the British English pronunciations (since the author was British) or the Russian pronunciations. I've compared them, however. Certain that I will stumble trying to sound Russian, I have opted for the British pronunciations, but I would be happy for any improvement options!
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you for the prompt reply!
I'll keep watching the proper names. Actually, the Eudoxia that got me going at 18:55 is spelled in the Greek manner in the book. If it were the Russian Eudokia, it would have been [yev-duh-KIA], but I have no idea what was Mr.Buchanan thinking about. This far he sounds like the stereotypical British lord whom some less sensitive Russian classics made fun of :-)
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Jan, Dave, what's that "_data_" in the filename? I'm not sure it's okay :shock: