[COMPLETE]: Recollections of Imperial Russia by Meriel Buchanan - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.8 PL OK :thumbs:
Sec.9:
- Low volume, please add ~6 dB.
- 9 sec of silence at the end, please shorten to 5.
The wronG names are too numerous and not worth fixing because many are misspelled as well. Just a rule of thumb for future: Russian last names ending with "sky" or "ski" (Glinsky, Schouiski, Obolensky, Kurbsky, etc.) should all end with the "ski" sound, the same you would use for skiing. When you add an additional vowel they become feminine, which sound ridiculous to the misogynist Russian ear :-)
Also the "G" in Glinsky, Godunoff, etc., always makes the sound like "Glass", never like "Gin".
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

I'll fix it all, no problem.
I was not happy with this chapter when I finished it anyway!
Thanks much.
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

P.S. Linguatec speakers makes a ya sound at the end of lots of names. I will follow YOUR very expert lead!
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Okay, Jan, if you wish I'd be happy to mark every correction, but I'm not sure what to do with the misspellings... Thoughts?
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

IF you really are willing to give me the correct pronunciations for the names that are incorrect, then perhaps spelling is not the worry for us. Am I understanding the offer? I have created a spread sheet which--maybe? I can send to you. I have the name as Meriel Buchanan spelled it, the pronunciation as per Linguatec. It may be that it would be easiest for you to just go through the spreadsheet and correct the phonetics? It would certainly be a favor to me and a gift to any listeners who might land on this book....
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Of course you could simply record the correct pronunciations, if you're willing! That might be easiest. I could send you my list of names (getting longer each chapter) and you could just read them into a mic and upload here.
Let me know.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jmoorehouse wrote: March 27th, 2019, 6:41 am Of course you could simply record the correct pronunciations, if you're willing! That might be easiest. I could send you my list of names (getting longer each chapter) and you could just read them into a mic and upload here.
Of course, if you are willing to do the chore, Jan! Please PM me the list, and I'll do my best. Please instruct where to upload the file.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Hi--
I just went through your recording and corrected my phonetic prompts. What a difference this will make. Thanks again so much. I am heading south to my mother's home again to help her transition back from the rehab hospital to her own home for a few days. I'll get back to Chapter 9 and beyond when I'm home late next week.

Just FYI, my goal is to finish by the end of June. I have been aiming to complete three chapters a month, with two (and any mop up) in June. I should be able to stay on track, but this trip to Mom's and then our trip to the East Coast will make April a little sketchy.

Just didn't want you to think I'm daunted or discouraged by the pronunciation assistance. You've gone above and beyond, and it's much appreciated.
Jan :thumbs:
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Okay--Chapter 9 with improvements, I believe, to meet my own standards.
Jan

Code: Select all

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/recollectionsofimperialrussia_09_buchanan_128kb.mp3
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Okay--Chapter 9 with improvements, I believe, to meet my own standards.
Jan

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/recollectionsofimperialrussia_09_buchanan_128kb.mp3
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jmoorehouse wrote: April 6th, 2019, 4:23 pm Okay--Chapter 9 with improvements, I believe, to meet my own standards.
Jan
Sec.9 PL OK :thumbs:
It meets any standard! I guess, a little part of the credit is mine :D
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

You get enormous credit, and I give it gladly!
Thanks for your help, so very much.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/recollectionsofimperialrussia_10_buchanan_128kb.mp3

Chapter 10 ready for Proof Listen! It is SO much easier to make these recordings with clarity on pronunciation of names. Thanks again. :9:
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

More welcome home work for you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/recollectionsofimperialrussia_11_buchanan_128kb.mp3
29'33"

There were a couple of new names in this chapter. I winged it and will be happy to correct pronunciation if they're unrecognizable!

Happy Spring.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec 10,11 PL OK :thumbs:
The new names are just fine!