[COMPLETE]: Recollections of Imperial Russia by Meriel Buchanan - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thank you! Just got home from our East Coast tour. I look forward to moving on to Chapter 12.
I do appreciate the thumbs up!
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.12 PL OK :thumbs:
Beautiful rendering of Crimean places and Tartar names, you must have done your own research!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thank you! In fact, I think I picked up a sense of how to say things from listening to you. :-) No research done...and I was afraid you'd be miffed! lol
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.13,14 PL OK :thumbs:
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thank you! Chapter 15 almost ready. Hope to post it later today, then write the blurb for the book, and we're done!
:-)
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/recollectionsofimperialrussia_15_buchana_128kb.mp3
28'48"

Here you go--for your proof listening pleasure. And then I wonder what you think of this book.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

This note is for Craig:
I recall that I need to provide a blurb about the book--something I anticipated returning to the set-up page to do after I completed the recording. Now I cannot seem to access that set-up page. Perhaps you can help me. Here's what I've written--based primarily on information in Wikipedia (but not quoted).

In this memoir, Meriel Buchanan (9-5-1886 to 2-6-1959) links the history of Russia to powerful, lingering memories of her years living there. She was the daughter of the man who turned out to be the last ambassador to Imperial Russia. As a young adult, in her role as the ambassador’s daughter, she had regular access to the court of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, providing her with unusual experiences and impressions. She describes first hand the sights, sounds, and some of the activities she remembers from this elevated and sheltered vantage point. The family left Russia in 1918, and the author’s memories are filled with nostalgia and longing for the Russia she experienced.

Let me know if there's a more appropriate way for me to get this accomplished. When the final chapter has been proofed, I shall be very happy to see this go live as a friend of mine has a Russian mother, age 92, who has lived here in the U.S. since she was a young adult. She is very anxious to listen to it!
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Jan,
Thanks for the book summary. I can add it to the project screen. At some point the system doesn't allow BC's to add the information. Again, thanks.

edit: It will appear as follows:
In this memoir, Meriel Buchanan (9-5-1886 to 2-6-1959) links the history of Russia to powerful, lingering memories of her years living there. She was the daughter of the man who turned out to be the last ambassador to Imperial Russia. As a young adult, in her role as the ambassador’s daughter, she had regular access to the court of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, providing her with unusual experiences and impressions. She describes first hand the sights, sounds, and some of the activities she remembers from this elevated and sheltered vantage point. The family left Russia in 1918, and the author’s memories are filled with nostalgia and longing for the Russia she experienced. - Summary by Jan M.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Perfect! Many thanks. I'm relieved to know I was shut out! I was afraid I just couldn't figure out how to find the portal.
Yay!
Thanks for your help with this.
Jan :clap:
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jmoorehouse wrote: May 28th, 2019, 7:19 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/recollectionsofimperialrussia_15_buchana_128kb.mp3
28'48"

Here you go--for your proof listening pleasure. And then I wonder what you think of this book.
Jan
Sec.15 sounds good, but the ultimate "n" is missing in the file name (buchana). Just rename the file, and the book will be PL OK :)

Ms. Buchanan was not a historian, therefore it's not surprising that the book is a patchwork of historical facts mixed with legends, fairy tales, misconceptions, and fantasies. She also lived a sheltered life among the highest ranks of nobility and could not see the big picture, so the last chapter does not show deep understanding of the processes going on.
If you are really, REALLY interested in the subject of the early 20th century Russia, I could suggest Russian Realities and Problems; it is PD (1917), and we could make it another LV project: https://imwerden.de/publ-3632.html, I'd be happy to BC / PL.
There are six chapters written by the clearest minds of the period, and it could still present interest for historians. I did not read it through, and it could be too dry and boring though. FWIW :-)
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Oooooh--that is very very tempting! I'll ponder it as I travel over the next two weeks. I may just see about setting that up, since I am indeed very interested in knowing more. I appreciate your thoughts on the author. Sheltered indeed! I see a bit of romanticizing, and I know little about it, just know how people are and how well she probably was living.
Thanks for your work on this, my new friend! I am eager to have it posted and done.
Warmly,
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Author name corrected in the file, as per Proof Listener's eagle-eyed directive!
The book is done. No doubt I'm supposed to know what happens next but I depend on you two wonderful, gifted, detail-minded gentlemen to help me out here.
Sincerely,
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse