[COMPLETE]: Recollections of Imperial Russia by Meriel Buchanan - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

6 and 7 in the MW appear to have the correct titles (Catherine - Empress! and Paul, respectively).
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Terrific! I'm relieved.
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jmoorehouse wrote: March 10th, 2019, 6:27 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/recollectionsofimperialrussia-07-buchanan-128kbl.mp3

This chapter is titled Paul. I realized that I may have put "Paul" in the section title for the metadata for chapter 6 when I repaired the two mispronounced names yesterday. I wonder if it's easier for me to re-export or if you or Craig can fix that for me somehow. And perhaps after all it's no problem. (The title should have been "Catherine: Emporer" for chapter 6.)

Thanks!
Jan
Ch.7 PL notes: good performance, but wrong file name:
* Please use underscores "_", not dashes.
* End with "128kb", not kbl
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Ooops--yes! Fixing it now. Thank you!
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Oops--next message should be correct.
Last edited by jmoorehouse on March 16th, 2019, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Better, but still "kbl" :-)
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

So now you know why I majored in English and NOT in technology! lol
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jmoorehouse wrote: March 17th, 2019, 10:03 am So now you know why I majored in English and NOT in technology! lol
I don't know what was Mr. Buchanan's degree to botch most on the names... your degree must have helped in your navigation through the maze. But there was a spot where he did a decent job, and you could improve, if you are up to perfection:
Sec.8 39:50, pg 161, "Chmielnicki or Mazeppa" [Khmel-NIT-ski or Mah-ZEP-pah] 8-)
Sec.7 PL OK :clap:
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thank you! Happy to fix that.

Just FYI, I know that Meriel Buchanan was a Ms. or Mrs., not a Mr. Don't know if there's any degree for her.

I'm thinking I might have been better to have stuck with English pronunciations of Russian names instead of TRYING to make the names sound appropriate in Russian. It's SO VERY HARD to wrap my tongue around the consonants and to get the emphasis on the correct syllable!

It's certainly appropriate to call this book a memoir instead of a history, although it reads more like an attempt at history. Way off the mark?

Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Jan, for clarification!
jmoorehouse wrote: March 18th, 2019, 7:13 am I'm thinking I might have been better to have stuck with English pronunciations of Russian names instead of TRYING to make the names sound appropriate in Russian. It's SO VERY HARD to wrap my tongue around the consonants and to get the emphasis on the correct syllable!
I'll try to explain. If I cannot recognize or have to guess a name from what I hear then I look it up in the text. In most cases you say what's written, and then I let it go. In the rare cases when your attempts to wrap your tired tongue around the concoction of English, French, Polish and Russian syllables are not successful, then I try to express the sound through more familiar words and syllables. Don't hesitate to mark sections "PL OK" if I fail to clarify the sounds. :D
It's certainly appropriate to call this book a memoir instead of a history, although it reads more like an attempt at history. Way off the mark?
I agree! It seems to me Ms. Buchanan is mostly repeating what she learned from popular stories, operas, and whatever else she was exposed to. She doesn't seem to have studied history seriously, but she wrote a passable, if somewhat naive, intro.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

I appreciate this effort on your part, and I appreciate the explanation!
Happy listening.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/recollectionsofimperialrussia_09_buchanan_128kb.mp3
35'44"

Chapter 9 is posted and ready for your kind listening ears. Kind and astute and critical! :-)
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse