COMPLETE: William Again by Richmal Crompton - choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » January 29th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Listened!

Strangely enough, the volume is at 95 db now. Not sure what's going on. If you want, I can change it, or I can leave it to you so you can figure out what is going on.

3:19 - better, still a bit cut off but is understandable

5:00 - fixed! I agree with you, William is quite the little rascal!
Campbell

david wales

Post by david wales » January 29th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I don't know what is going on with my program. I lowered the level on the file by 6 db and uploaded that. Let me know if that works. It looks very low level on my screen! What function do you use to assess the sound level? Maybe that would help me. Thanks for your help.

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/williamagain_03_crompton_128kb.mp3
Peace, David

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » January 29th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Did it upload properly? Still at 95 db from what I see. I use the Checker program. It shows all the tech settings as well as the volume. I took a look by importing it into Audacity. Looked very large to me, almost peaking at the 1. I could amplify it properly though. Maybe it's having trouble exporting your file? I really don't know :hmm:
Campbell

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » January 29th, 2019, 7:23 pm

I've looked in the uploader directory and verified that your new files did go through (which means that the link is right and isn't still pointing to one of the earlier versions). I agree that something might have gone wrong with Audacity exporting the new file to mp3 -- though that's just a guess too.
Laurie Anne

david wales

Post by david wales » January 30th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Hi Campbell, I'm really stumped. Never had this problem before. I've opened this file again, massaged it, and exported it again. I then opened the mp3 file in audacity and it is back to 95 db. (I'm not having any problems in the other book I am recording.) Could I please take you up on your earlier offer for you to correct the db level and hope that works? If not, I guess I'll have to try recording it all over again. Thanks for all your work.
Peace, David

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » January 30th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I did it! Amplified it down to around 89 db, uploaded it, then re downloaded it to check. It worked! So now it's all good! Weird that you aren't having this problem anywhere else, hopefully it's just this file! Luckily it's now PL OK! Hope whatever went wrong is better in the future! :D
Campbell

david wales

Post by david wales » January 30th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Hi Campbell, Thank you so much for fixing file 3. I am happy to report that file 4 has worked like a charm. So here it is:

4 uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/williamagain_04_crompton_128kb.mp3

Edit: I've also downloaded and can now use Checker for db levels. Didn't know about this program before. Thanks for putting me onto it. Also, there are several places where time and place jump * * * * and also several places where people stutter and repeat themselves.
Peace, David

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » January 30th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Yay! Volume is perfect! That was strange last time... glad to hear Checker worked for you! I know it's saved me many times! Also, thanks for the heads up. Very helpful. Only two notes this time:

4:45 ‘not one of us...’ repeated, heard ‘bang bang' in the middle of the two, so thinking maybe not intentional?
21:06 – heard “he simply crawdin the stuff instead of putting it there”

Otherwise great! Love it! William is so relatable! Reminds me of myself as a child...
Campbell

david wales

Post by david wales » January 31st, 2019, 5:56 am

corrected 4 uploaded

23.21 long

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/williamagain_04_crompton_128kb.mp3

took out the duplication; bang bang is my way of marking a place that I have to correct when I later edit; missed one :(
in your later citation, the hard-to-understand word is "trodden", referring to the dirt on the carpet; I think I'll leave it as it's fair clear, just not an expected word, nor one used very much in conversation
again, thank for your work
Peace, David

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » January 31st, 2019, 7:41 am

Great all fixed! PL OK! Thought it might be trodden, just thought I'd mention in case it wasn't. Can't wait for Chapter 5!
Campbell

david wales

Post by david wales » January 31st, 2019, 10:48 am

5 uploaded

24.58 long

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/williamagain_05_crompton_128kb.mp3

Hi Campbell, This chapter was a bit of a challenge. The group of cockney kids was hard for this American voice to emulate. Did the best I could. (I kept thinking of Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. :roll: ) If some of the dialogue is hard to understand, I think we'll just let it go; not sure I could do any better on re-recording.
Peace, David

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » January 31st, 2019, 3:42 pm

Yay! I'm always excited to see a chapter come through! Had a morning of a couple of hours of PLing some denser works, nice to have a more lighthearted one to listen to! Sounded great! Your cockney accent was great (although I've never heard one before, but sounded great to me). PL OK! Just one question, how does singing work here at LibriVox? I'm sure you know what you're doing, so I'm assuming we can sing in recordings. Is it just background music we have to listen out for? Copyright stuff confuses me sometimes...
Campbell

david wales

Post by david wales » January 31st, 2019, 4:02 pm

Hmmmm, I don't think singing is a problem. Librivox has song collections, especially Christmas carol collections, so I don't think singing is an issue. Though calling what I did in this chapter singing is a far stretch. :roll: Well, the heavy rain (which has delighted my Los Angeles droughty soul) has stopped drumming on the skylight so I'll record a bit more. Cheers! :)
Peace, David

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » January 31st, 2019, 4:04 pm

david wales wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 4:02 pm
Though calling what I did in this chapter singing is a far stretch.
Ha ha! Hey it was much better than anything I could have done... and if anybody complains, just say you were putting on a character voice :lol: Can't wait!
Campbell

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » January 31st, 2019, 4:48 pm

For the record, singing is OK for Librivox if it's specifically called for in the text (like if a character breaks into song) or the project is a music project (like the Christmas carols). The tune has to be either public domain or invented by the reader, and the performance has to also be public domain -- no 1930s show tunes and no splicing Cardi B or Yo-Yo Ma into the recording.
Laurie Anne