COMPLETE: William Again by Richmal Crompton - choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Also feel free to let me know if I commented on things I wasn't supposed to. I'm new to this and still trying to figure out exactly what I need to do :)
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi, Campbell, you can ignore minor background noises unless they obscure the reading or are especially distracting. Constant hums or high-pitched whines can mean an equipment problem (and are hard on some listeners' ears), so those are worth pointing out, but little bumps and rustles are usually OK. Thanks for listening so carefully!
Laurie Anne
lymiewithpurpose

Ok thanks for the feedback! Will not point those out next time! David feel free to ignore my comments on background noise :D
Campbell
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I should add, in your future long and illustrious career as a DPL :) you might hear things like music or TV in the background. Those are not OK because of possible copyright problems if the music or dialogue is understandable in the recording. And if you hear background noises that just drive you bonkers, it's worth pointing them out because they'll probably drive other listeners bonkers too, though it'll be up to the BC or soloist whether to do anything about them. It's really a judgment call. Minor household noises (birds outside, dogs in the distance) -- usually OK. Somebody running the vacuum cleaner 10 feet from the mic -- not. :D
Laurie Anne
lymiewithpurpose

Ok that makes sense! Good to know I will definitely keep an ear out for these things! Thank you for all of these tips, they’re really helpful!
Campbell
david wales

Post by david wales »

corrected 1 file uploaded

25.51 long

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/williamagain_01_crompton_128kb.mp3

Hi Campbell, Thank you for your careful pling; 'twas really helpful.

I have light to moderate hearing loss so I can't hear subtle sounds. I replaced with quiet space the banging and rustling you indicated. (I rested the book on the edge of the computer and shelf that I was using to record, so I think every time I shifted the book it replicated to the file. So now I will hold the book away from all physical stuff. I'm used to recording with the text on an ipad so having a physical book (much as I love them) to deal with requires some thought on my part (not always easy). I'm hoping that I can still record for some time before my hearing loss becomes too much to deal with.

0:13 banging
0:26 banging
1:44 banging
2:27 heard "what wrote that read" You heard correctly. Red Gang is capitalized in the text and so must be a title of some work
10:17 “can’t” seems to be cut off (missing the ‘c’ sound) Hmmmm, I can hear the c. Let's just leave it.
12:27 rustling
16:06 rustling
19:48 rustling
20:46 heard "people's what and what can" corrected/clarified about "people’s writing what can."
21:01 "oh mercy spare me...." repeated there are several oh mercy spare me but the text indicates what I have recorded
24:56 rustling
25:24 plot jump, maybe missing text? The text indicates a time lapse with the use of * * * * * but no way to indicate this verbally, alas. I added some more quiet time to help.

You have a greast future ahead of you dpl-ing! :clap:
Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »

Peace, David
lymiewithpurpose

Yay! Great! I have a few other things I need to get done first, but I should get to it later today! Thanks for the info about what was written in the text, there are just a few weird little spots that make me wonder what the author said. That happens in every book!

Looking forwards to listening more!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Ok, I spot PL'd Chapter 1, sounds great! All the little spots I heard are now fixed, and thanks for clarifying when the text had repeats for me! It's a PL OK! I'll get back to you a bit later with Chapter 2!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Sorry for replying so late, I'm heading out of town tomorrow and had to pack. Just so you know over these next few days I may be slower to respond. I should be able to listen to anything though but it might take longer to get a reply. Will probably only be able to listen in the mornings. I will get back in town Monday afternoon and should be quicker to reply then.

Anyways, I loved Chapter 2! William is quite the character, reminds me of myself as a kid when I had to visit relatives! Background noise was much better; could still hear page flips, but were less noticeable. Whatever you did worked! Here are a few notes for you:

1:43 heard "his mother suddenly his mother
10:32 heard "head" two times, it's possible I heard wrong though
12:09 there was a bit of a pause, if it was for a time lapse that's great but pointed it out in case it's not
16:09 repeat of "well he waxed still more confidential"

Really enjoyed it! Can't wait for William's next adventure!
Campbell
david wales

Post by david wales »

corrected 2 uploaded

17.27 long

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/williamagain_02_crompton_128kb.mp3

1:43 heard "his mother suddenly his mother The first “his mother” is the beginning of a sentence that is interrupted by “Suddenly…” I inserted some space before “Suddenly” to give a better idea of this.
10:32 heard "head" two times, it's possible I heard wrong though “I could knock you ole long-haired head off.” I re-recorded this sentence to be clearer.
12:09 there was a bit of a pause, if it was for a time lapse that's great but pointed it out in case it's not * * * * indicating time lapse; left as is
16:09 repeat of "well he waxed still more confidential" indeed a doubling; took out one of them

Will record some more on Sunday. Today was dealing with a heavy glass door onto the patio that managed after 8 years to slip off its hinge and threaten to smash itself to bits on the patio. Rescued by a contractor friend of mine who fixed it but insisted all the time in making jokes about some folks being unhinged. I suffered silently. :hmm:
Peace, David
lymiewithpurpose

Oh no! That door sounds annoying! I hate when things don't work properly!

As for the recording, it is now PL OK! So great! Am excited for William's next adventure!
Campbell
david wales

Post by david wales »

Peace, David
lymiewithpurpose

Yay! Gave me something nice to do after traveling all day. Wow William sure knows how to get himself in trouble doesn't he? Just a few notes:

The volume is too loud. It is right now 94.9 db, should be around 89.
3:19 – can’t hear ‘s’ in ‘said’, you may be able to hear it (I remember we disagreed on something similar earlier) :D
5:00 –heard “must supposed to” - am I supposed to comment on things like this? I have been just because I don't have text to compare it to, but I am more than happy not to.

Looking forward to see what William will do next!
Campbell
david wales

Post by david wales »

corrected 3 uploaded

20.56 long

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/williamagain_03_crompton_128kb.mp3

The volume is too loud. It is right now 94.9 db, should be around 89.
For some reason my compressor and replaygain functions stopped working. I uninstalled everything and then re-installed. Program behaving a little differently now. I hope the problems have been corrected. This should be about 89 level; please let me know if it's not. Fingers crossed.

3:19 – can’t hear ‘s’ in ‘said’, you may be able to hear it (I remember we disagreed on something similar earlier) Recorded it again; hope it's clearer
5:00 –heard “must supposed to” - am I supposed to comment on things like this? I have been just because I don't have text to compare it to, but I am more than happy not to.
yes, please comment on anything you don't understand. If you don't, others won't either. That first word wasn't clear, now better, I hope. Though not the case here, William often speaks his own kind of English; trying to be faithful to the text and at the same time be understandable is a bit of a challenge sometimes.
Peace, David