COMPLETE Tarzan and the Golden Lion by Edgar Rice Burroughs - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

When I try to insert the new statement it sounds very different so I am wondering if, instead of using my desktop mic, it used the built in computer mic for this recording. I am also in a different environment than the original recording however I tried to simulate the original setting to the best of my ability and it still sounds much more crisp. I may need to re-record the section in order to improve the sound. Let me know what you think about that, I have not posted a new version. I'm sorry I did not catch it before.

On the "End of chapter" statement, I have heard it this way on many recordings however I see what you mean about it technically being the statement "End of Chapter 'x'". If this truly needs to be revised, I will need to edit all those uploaded to reflect this change.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

My opinions:

Regarding the sound quality: it's your choice if you want glaring differences in sound between the edits and the original, or if you want to record the chapter afresh. Does this chapters sound glaringly different in quality from chapters 2 and 4? If so, that might tip the scale towards a full re-record.

Regarding "end of chapter": I've also heard just the "end of chapter" on recordings. We do like to have the chapter number there, so that in case someone's player unknowingly skips around on them, they'll catch it sooner. Going from "End of chapter 3" to "Chapter 6 of Tarzan" is a good audio clue. I agree that the template wording needs to change to make this more clear. :? Since you've recorded 10 chapters already, I'll leave it to you to decide which way you want it and whether to edit the already-done chapters. (If this will cause sound difference issues as per the paragraph above, maybe leaving them as they are would be better.)

Bottom line: what would you as a listener prefer? :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

I have rerecorded and reuploaded Chapter 3, let me know if this version is better than the previous. I have also uploaded chapter 10 for PL.

I believe that I will stick with "End of chapter" for this book since I am this far in but will make note to do it otherwise in any future recordings.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Chapter 3 is now PL OK! Sounds much better, too. When you upload an edited file, change the flag in the MW to Ready for Spot PL so it's obvious it's ready for a final check.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Chapter 4 is PL OK. Well done.

My website
My Librivox reader page
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

Chapter 3 was an entire new recording and not just a spot PL so I left it as is. You will be caught up with me in a few days time at this rate!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

jaherring wrote: February 27th, 2019, 6:57 pm Chapter 3 was an entire new recording and not just a spot PL so I left it as is. You will be caught up with me in a few days time at this rate!
Cool. But since I thought it was a spot PL, I didn’t listen all the way through. I’ll do that tomorrow just to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I did notice that the overall sound was more pleasant and the number of extraneous noises were much reduced, so it was worth it. The first solo is a challenge for everyone and you’re doing very well. I hop you’re having fun.

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Chapter 5 PL OK!

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

PL 6 is PL OK. The volume is 91.9 db, which is just barely within specs; you'll want to keep an eye on this going forward.

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Chapter 7 is PL OK. Volume back to 88.8 db.

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Chapter 8 is PL OK. :thumbs:

My website
My Librivox reader page
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

Thank you!

Sounds good, I marked Chapter 8 as PL OK since it was still showing Ready for PL.

Part of the challenge for me is the extraneous noises where I am staying that I can do nothing about. The radiator will pop mid sentence and if I do not realize it I have to re-record the sentence in editing because I cannot seem to remove that sound without destroying the word it was within. Or the train in the distance with blow its' horn and you can hear it within the recording. Overall I am enjoying the process although more time goes into it than initially thought in order to do a good job.

Also, Chapter 11 is up and ready for PL.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds good, I marked Chapter 8 as PL OK since it was still showing Ready for PL.
Yeah, Mark doesn't have access to the Magic Window. I've been changing the PL status on your other chapters when I notice them, even though it's not officially my job. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

jaherring wrote: March 1st, 2019, 6:35 pm
Part of the challenge for me is the extraneous noises where I am staying that I can do nothing about. The radiator will pop mid sentence and if I do not realize it I have to re-record the sentence in editing because I cannot seem to remove that sound without destroying the word it was within. Or the train in the distance with blow its' horn and you can hear it within the recording. Overall I am enjoying the process although more time goes into it than initially thought in order to do a good job.
All of us who record at home have to deal with noise, whether it's the neighbor's dog, loud cars, or those #$^@&!! ubiquitous leaf blowers. Often it requires re-recording. One thing that might help is to use a low-cut filter, which may help with the train: use an EQ filter and zero-out everything below 100 Hz, which is where many low-level rumbly sounds occur. It's outside the range of the human voice, so it won't degrade your recordings. Don't know if it will work, but worth a try.

Chapter 9 PL OK.

My website
My Librivox reader page
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

I will try the filter on chapter 12. I will save an unmodified version in the event it does manage to mess things up (likely more from my lack of experience with the software than a software issue). Thank you for the tips, I hear a train as I am typing this.