COMPLETE[PLAY]A Little Bit of Fluff by Walter W. Ellis - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Just checking in and letting you know that the stage directions are coming along... It's taking a little while. They are looong and I've been out of town. Should have Act 1 ready to submit soon. Didn't want you to think I'd forgotten about them or wasn't working on them. :)
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Character descriptions and stage directions for Act 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/littlebitoffluff_[stagedirections]_[1]_128kb.mp3
41:28

Thanks!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

By the way, the [ ] should not be in the filename you submit: they show you what you change in the example. So your file name should be

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/littlebitoffluff_stagedirections_1_128kb.mp3

Doesn't matter here because I cut everything apart and make a new master file that goes into the catalog. But in books etc you file name is what goes in and everything has to match (or chapters don't sort properly etc).

Thanks, Todd
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Thanks.. I knew better. Wasn't thinking! Sorry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TroubleATM wrote: March 31st, 2019, 10:04 pm Here is Ursula for Act 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/littlebitoffluff_Ursula_3_128kb.mp3 4:00
Thank you, nice job with this! I think you characterized her well. Very proper and mild for the most part, but with the occasional flash of temper. No lines missing; however, we need the full character description as found in the MW. So at the beginning, you should say:
Ursula, Mr. Tully's maid, read by Aleacia Messiah
TroubleATM

Post by TroubleATM »

mightyfelix wrote: April 12th, 2019, 12:28 pm
TroubleATM wrote: March 31st, 2019, 10:04 pm Here is Ursula for Act 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/littlebitoffluff_Ursula_3_128kb.mp3 4:00
Thank you, nice job with this! I think you characterized her well. Very proper and mild for the most part, but with the occasional flash of temper. No lines missing; however, we need the full character description as found in the MW. So at the beginning, you should say:
Ursula, Mr. Tully's maid, read by Aleacia Messiah
Ok, I will add this to my recording. Thank you!
Aleacia Messiah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've finally had a chance to PL the Act 1 stage directions. I'm sorry about the delay. I had quite a lot of PL work pile up while I was out of town.

Nice job, Elisabeth! My husband was in the room when I started listening, and he commented to me on how much he likes your voice! :D

I have a few notes for you, but they should be pretty easy. No need to re-record anything, and I didn't find anything missing. I have one or two questions for Todd, too.

Currently, you have the LV intro and disclaimer at about 2:06. This needs to be at the very beginning. Characters can come after. Just cut this and paste it at the beginning.
Now, here is a question for Todd. After the character list, do you want this next part included? I think you usually omit it, if I remember right. It's currently at about 1:33:

ACT I

SCENE.—John Ayers’ Flat in Bayswater, No. 13 St. Mark’s Mansions.

Two weeks elapse.

ACT II

SCENE.—The same.

ACT III

SCENE.—Mr. Tully’s Flat—next door—No. 14 St. Mark’s Mansions.
Then there are several times when the stage directions are continued on the next line, and you've put in a long pause there, as if it is a separate line. However, when no one is speaking in between, you don't need to leave a long pause. So you should cut these pauses down to a more normal length, unless Todd responds that he'd rather do this himself. I tried to note all the instances below, but may have missed a few:
3:48 after "She thinks"
5:49 after "she taps loudly on it."
6:01 after "crosses to center"
6:26 after "apparently annoyed"
8:03 after "exit Chalmers"
9:13 after "Handing second wire to John"
9:45 after "places telegrams on table R. C."
10:10 after "nervously twisting his hands"
11:04 after "turns pages over quickly"
11:33 after "openmouthed as in opera"
12:38 after "turns quickly to John"
13:11 after "very satisfied"
14:04 after "looking into space"
15:26 after "puts bits in handkerchief pocket"
16:20 after "left of table right center"
16:52 after "Tully shuts door"
18"34 after "pick up torn paper"
20:01 after "Advancing to Tully"
20:13 after "biting his nails"
20:26 after "comes down left"
20:36 after "comes down to John"
20:48 after "patterns on carpet with foot"
22:02 after "quick exit"
22:49 after "crossing to door right"
24:02 after "Exit John into room right"
25:22 after "creeps off again"
31:50 after "removes gloves"
31:55 after "groans loudly off right"
32:04 after "then sit again"
32:25 after "gazing at door right"
32:40 after "groaning all the time"
33:50 "left of Mamie"
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thaks to you both.

All of these PL changes look like things I can easily do while editing. (The list will help me do that. Thanks.) So I think you can concentrate on recording more narration and I'll edit this file as I cut in the other reader parts to finish Act 1.

Thanks, Todd
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Thanks for the direction and the voice compliment.. I was hoping that my speech was not too "southern" for the part :) I will try to be more aware of the pauses with further narration. This is my first attempt at stage direction. Thanks for everyone's patience!!
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Hi, I am seeing "N.B." in the stage directions near the beginning of act 2 and don't know what this means, so I'm unsure how to read this part. How would you like this read?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That's a good question. It took me a little while to find the line in question. Here it is, for greater context:
(JOHN enters in overcoat, muffler and hat. N.B.—He completes his change after next exit.)
What do you think, Todd?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

N.B. stands for Notte Bien - translating litterally as "note well". In other words, just "Note: ...."

Either Notte Bien or Note is fine with me.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I never knew that. Thanks! As many plays as you've done, I figured you'd know it. :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

It is not strictly a Play term, but used in lottsa general office writing. Like using "PS" for Post Script in letters.

Thanks, Todd
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Thanks! That one had me baffled :D