COMPLETE Ancient Tales and Folklore of Japan by RG Smith -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
BurgundyGrace
Posts: 628
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Post by BurgundyGrace » January 12th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Section 3 is nicely read, David. Pronunication of names and places are especially well done.

A note for correction:
In running the recording under the Libriovox checker, (which you may download here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker )
I note a DC bias of -32.

You can learn more about that, and a fix, on the Librivox Wiki site, here, under "Recording is Off-centre":
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Questions_and_Answers

Once that is done, you will be PL Ok.

Please feel free to ask questions; we're happy to help.

Thanks for your reading!
~Angelique

Lmnei
Posts: 2800
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » January 12th, 2019, 6:58 pm


BurgundyGrace
Posts: 628
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Post by BurgundyGrace » January 12th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Hello, Lynda!
Section 8, "A Miraculous Sword" is PL OK!

Section 9 is missing blocks of text at the beginning. I think due to the format, you may not have seen where the story begins.
It is here:
IX
4 THE PROCESSION OF GHOSTS' 1

SOME four or five hundred years ago there was an old
temple not far from Fushimi, near Kyoto. It was called
the Shozenji temple, and had been deserted for many
years, priests fearing to live there, on account of the
ghosts which were said to haunt it. Still, no one had
ever seen the ghosts. No doubt the story came into the
people's minds from the fact that the whole of the priests
had been killed by a large band of robbers many years
beyond the memory of men for the sake of loot, of course.
So great a horror did this strike into the minds of all,
that the temple was allowed to rot and run to ruin.

1 Somewhere between the years 1400 and 1550 there lived a family of celebrated
painters covering three generations, and consequently difficult to be accurate about.
There were Tosa Mitsunobu, Kano Mitsunobu, and Hasegawa Mitsunobu j some-
times Tosa Mitsunobu signed his pictures as Fujiwara Mitsunobu. When to this
I add that there were other celebrated painters Kano Masanobu, Kano Motonobu,
besides their families, imitators, and name forgers you will realise the difficulties into
which one may fall in fixing on names and dates ; but, as usual, I have been placed
safely on high ground by a kind friend, H.E. Mr. Hattori, the Governor, whose
knowledge of Art is great. Undoubtedly it was Tosa Mitsunobu who painted the
picture known as the Hiyakki Yako, or as The One Hundred Ghosts' Procession,
which is celebrated, and has served as a map of instruction in the drawing of hobgoblins
and ghosts, ' spooks,' ' eries,' or whatever you may choose to call them. As far as I can
judge, the picture was painted about the end of the first half of the fifteenth century.

61

As always, thanks for your contribution to the collection.
~Angelique

realisticspeakers
Posts: 1044
Joined: December 6th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Post by realisticspeakers » January 12th, 2019, 8:09 pm

"Kind reader,
if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."

BurgundyGrace
Posts: 628
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Post by BurgundyGrace » January 12th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Section 7 is PL Okay and very nicely read.
Many Shakespearean/Japanese stories throughout this collection; you've added marvelously to them!

Regards,
~Angelique

MelodiaVox
Posts: 18
Joined: January 1st, 2019, 6:03 pm

Post by MelodiaVox » January 12th, 2019, 10:16 pm

May I sign up please for Section 13? I am a newbie, with my one-minute test having just been approved. Thank you for your consideration.

oogiesragdoll
Posts: 22
Joined: November 15th, 2018, 9:24 am

Post by oogiesragdoll » January 12th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Hello, can I please have sections 18 and 20? Thank you

openbookdavid
Posts: 27
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 10:07 am
Location: Netherlands (The Hague)
Contact:

Post by openbookdavid » January 13th, 2019, 1:17 am

Thank you, Angelique! I've now used Normalize in Audacity to fix the problem. I had used Checker before sending the file the first time, but after seeing the word "Passed," I hadn't tried to interpret the specific values. Now I know to keep an eye on the DC bias, and I've changed the Checker validation setting from "Gentle" to "Strict." Maybe that will help.

Here's the fixed version:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/folklore_03_smith_128kb.mp3
BurgundyGrace wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 1:48 pm
Section 3 is nicely read, David. Pronunication of names and places are especially well done.

A note for correction:
In running the recording under the Libriovox checker, (which you may download here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker )
I note a DC bias of -32.

You can learn more about that, and a fix, on the Librivox Wiki site, here, under "Recording is Off-centre":
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Questions_and_Answers

Once that is done, you will be PL Ok.

Please feel free to ask questions; we're happy to help.

Thanks for your reading!

BurgundyGrace
Posts: 628
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Post by BurgundyGrace » January 13th, 2019, 2:14 am

All with section 3 is now PL OK, David!
In truth, this is a learning process for us all ... and there's ALWAYS something else to improve.
It's a top-flight tragi-comedy. *Smile*
~Angelique

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42341
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » January 13th, 2019, 6:25 am

thank you all! :D
Carolin

Please help us finish The Theory and Practice of Brewing and learn about beer!

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42341
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » January 13th, 2019, 6:32 am

MelodiaVox wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 10:16 pm
May I sign up please for Section 13? I am a newbie, with my one-minute test having just been approved. Thank you for your consideration.
hi and welcome to librivox!

you are welcome to participate in this project. as this is your first claim, i will add you to the reader database. to be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. we can also link to your personal website or blog.

i see you have already completed your one minute test :thumbs: so the above info is all that is still needed :)
Carolin

Please help us finish The Theory and Practice of Brewing and learn about beer!

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42341
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » January 13th, 2019, 6:48 am

oogiesragdoll wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 11:29 pm
Hello, can I please have sections 18 and 20? Thank you
thank you for claiming! i see you have your catalog name in your other post, so i have signed you up :) your personal catalog page is here https://librivox.org/reader/13049

you can get started right away! have fun and please let us know if you have any questions!
Carolin

Please help us finish The Theory and Practice of Brewing and learn about beer!

MelodiaVox
Posts: 18
Joined: January 1st, 2019, 6:03 pm

Post by MelodiaVox » January 13th, 2019, 9:42 am

Thank you. May I be added please to the reader catalogue as follows:
Catalogue Name: Maria Melodia Queri
Forum Name: MelodiaVox
URL: http://solveaproblemlikemaria.com

Lmnei
Posts: 2800
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » January 13th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Hi Angelique!

Here is Section 9 back - I do not think I have every done that before - started on page 2 of a Chapter! The insert goes until 3:12

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/folklore_09_smith_128kb.mp3 - 8:57

Have a good day and thanks for the quick PL!

Lynda

MelodiaVox
Posts: 18
Joined: January 1st, 2019, 6:03 pm

Post by MelodiaVox » January 13th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Carolin wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 6:32 am
MelodiaVox wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 10:16 pm
May I sign up please for Section 13? I am a newbie, with my one-minute test having just been approved. Thank you for your consideration.
hi and welcome to librivox!

you are welcome to participate in this project. as this is your first claim, i will add you to the reader database. to be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. we can also link to your personal website or blog.

i see you have already completed your one minute test :thumbs: so the above info is all that is still needed :)
Thank you for your feedback. Therefore, may I be added please to the reader database as follows:
Catalogue Name: Maria Melodia Queri
Forum Name: MelodiaVox
URL: http://solveaproblemlikemaria.com

Post Reply