COMPLETE - Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche (trans. Helen Zimmern) - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Cori

Post by Cori »

Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future by Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Translated by Helen Zimmern (1846 - 1934)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/beyond-good-and-evil-by-friedrich-nietzsche-2/
I'll have figured something sensible out by the time the book is catalogued. In the meantime, for my future prooflistener's benefit, it's best described as a cranky old goat ranting about pretty much everything, including dissing fellow philosophers. Unexpectedly amusing in places. Ideally will be finished this year, but there's not so much of 2018 left, so we'll see. (Non-summary by Cori Samuel)
ACTUAL SUMMARY: By turns illuminating, infuriating, bewildering, and amusing, Nietzsche's masterwork covers a lot of ground. He rejects most strands of Western thought, especially on the subject of morality, and develops his own theme demanding that individuals embrace their own 'will to power' to give life intention and direction. First published in German in 1887, this translation was produced in 1907 by Helen Zimmern, a long-standing acquaintance of Nietzsche.

There is an accessible text at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4363 but it leaves out all words in Greek, and is not in alignment with any printed edition; hence using the archive.org version. - Summary by Cori Samuel
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4363 (I'm reading from https://archive.org/details/beyondgoodevilpr00nie/page/n5 but it isn't an accessible version. However, the Gutenberg version has [Greek words here] instead of the actual Greek words, so ... )
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Preface of Beyond Good and Evil. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • "Recording by Cori Samuel. "Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future, by Friedrich Nietzsche. Translated by Helen Zimmern. Preface"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • Only if applicable, say: "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future, by Friedrich Nietzsche. Translated by Helen Zimmern"
    There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of each recording.
  • Example filename beyondgoodandevil_##_nietzsche_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. beyondgoodandevil_01_nietzsche_128kb.mp3)
PL and MC found - thank you!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up.

Weird not seeing the uploader instructions at the bottom of the post. I guess you've got that part figured out by now, eh? ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Wondermelon

Post by Wondermelon »

And how do I apply?
Cori

Post by Cori »

Wondermelon wrote: December 17th, 2018, 10:33 amAnd how do I apply?
Welcome to Librivox, Wondermelon! I like your taste in books ... see you've posted here and in a Grace Livingston Hill book too. :D

So, a little bad news, but then all the good news.

Bad news - both these books are solos, which means they're being recorded by just one person (the person who made the first post in the thread. Here, it's me. :mrgreen: )

Good news, though ... we can definitely help you through all the steps to apply for other projects, and then perhaps into solos of your own, if you'd like!

A great place to start is with the wiki page describing the 1 minute test. (Or 20 second test, if you read at the same speed I do ;) ) It's not an audition, rather an excellent way to check that you have all your technical settings sorted out early on, and to get you comfortable with using the forum, uploader, and general LibriVox processes.

Once you've done that, you can pick a first section to record. Many, many people start with the Weekly Poetry (search for the thread here) but if poetry isn't your thing, then you can find short sections to record in that part of the forum, or in the Readers Wanted: Books section. I very highly recommend doing the test and a short section (under 3,000 words) to start with, so you get a feel for how much work it might be (it varies for different people!) and then you can get into bigger adventures if you want. Let me know if you have any questions. :thumbs:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

TriciaG wrote: December 16th, 2018, 1:19 pmWeird not seeing the uploader instructions at the bottom of the post. I guess you've got that part figured out by now, eh? ;)
Thank you! Yeah, I did a bit of a tidy-up of the info ... just what's useful to me and my eventual prooflistener (I fear I've put people off with an overly honest summary ... don't think I've ever gone 24 hours without getting someone on board before. Well, except maybe the whispered Christmas Carol ... a bit too weird for people. :roll: )
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'm gonna be brave, I can DPL this if you wish, Cori. I have never read Nietzsche, so let's expand my horizon. (this better be good :mrgreen: )

I'm gonna read from archive too, since I prefer the original scan to Gutenberg, to be honest. This is the version you're using too, if I understand correctly. The Greek letters won't be a problem, I can read them.

I know it's standard PL. Do you want me to tacitly ignore differences that are not meaning changing or should I tell you anyway and let you decide ?

I can start tomorrow.

Sonia
Cori

Post by Cori »

That would be fantastic, Sonia, thank you! :9: I'm not sure I can promise its goodness overall, but one thing I've particularly enjoyed is the famous sayings -- I found it fun to read those in context finally.

I'd love your help with the Greek, too -- I'll ask when I get to editing that chapter. :D

Please do ignore non-meaning-changing differences, but let me know about anything you think will be a problem, including noises / weird pauses etc. Could you please double-check the beginnings and endings too -- I tend to edit those after recording and am always worried I'll muddle things up.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cori wrote: December 17th, 2018, 1:04 pmThat would be fantastic, Sonia, thank you! :9: I'm not sure I can promise its goodness overall, but there are a few really famous sayings and I found it fun to read those in context finally.
well, I'll let myself be surprised.
I'd love your help with the Greek, too -- I'll ask when I get to editing that chapter. :D
ok, we'll manage. Let's say, I can read the letters, I know what their equivalent sound is, but I'm not a Greek speaker, so the stress eludes me. Though I once talked to Rapunzelina about it, she mentioned that usually the stressed syllable would have a visual stress on the syllable too if I'm not mistaken. If all else fails, we can ask her ;)
Please do ignore non-meaning-changing differences, but let me know about anything you think will be a problem, including noises / weird pauses etc. Could you please double-check the beginnings and endings too -- I tend to edit those after recording and am always worried I'll muddle things up.
ok got it. I'll check everything, don't worry.

Looking forward to the cooperation.

Sonia
Cori

Post by Cori »

Have popped Chapter 1 up (yes, of course they're all reallllly long. :roll: The whole book will be about 7 to 7.5hrs when done.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Going Solo. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cori wrote: December 17th, 2018, 1:25 pmHave popped Chapter 1 up (yes, of course they're all reallllly long. :roll: The whole book will be about 7 to 7.5hrs when done.)
:shock: wow indeed a long chapter. Well, keep them coming, in the next 3 days I still have quite some time to PL....next week will be a bit trickier. I hope you are not in a hurry.

Sonia
Cori

Post by Cori »

I started work on this in April. Really not in any hurry. :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok...I finished the first two sections. Wow, quite heavy stuff, but to his credit, he doesn't use too difficult convoluted sentences to bring his point across. And your reading is absolutely interesting to listen to. 8-) Didn't get boring at all. An excellent start :clap:

Section 0 is already PL ok.

For Chapter 1 I noted down three deviations, where I think maybe the meaning is changed. In philosophical discussions, the precise word may carry a lot more weight than in a novel for example. That’s why I wanted to point those out. Up to you to decide if they are worth changing. And please tell me if this is too picky.

> at 5:54: (p. 8) “As little as the act of birth comes into consideration in the whole process and continuation of heredity” – you say “procedure of heredity”, not sure if that is the same meaning here.

> at 22:09: (p. 16) “Let us only understand this “could be” !” – you say “understand how this could be” which changes the meaning a bit. If I'm not mistaken, he refers to the use of “could be” in Kant's previous sentence :hmm:

> at 50:39: (p. 31) “in every causal-connection” – you say “casual”, which is definitely a different thing from causality

Something else, the final section in the MW is named "From the Heights", but in the archive text it's called "From Lofty Mountains". And the translation is quite different from the Gutenberg version. Did you switch to Gutenberg after all ? Just wanted to make sure that I'm checking against the correct source.

Sonia
Cori

Post by Cori »

All three corrections made -- that's a perfect level of feedback, Sonia, thank you!

And, I was lazy when I filled in the magic window and just copied from Gutenberg without checking :roll: -- I definitely am reading from the archive.org version (and should probably change the text link in the MW too. I don't like reading from a poorly-accessible version, but the Gutenberg one isn't so good, IMO.)

I've also uploaded chapter 2 ... chapter 3 is nearly done too, then things will slow down a lot :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 1 is now PL ok. :thumbs: excellent patches, wouldn't hear a difference in sound.

Chapter 2 is also very interesting again. Compliment on your French, nice accent, easy to understand.

I have two small things to note (one probably optional):

> at 46:46: (p. 58) “to sweep away from ourselvey conjointly a stupid old prejudice and misunderstanding” – you say “altogether”, not sure how important the difference is here :hmm: it might mean the same

> at 51:05: (p. 60) “which lie concealed in honours” – you say “he” (you probably didn’t enlarge the scan big enough here ;) )

that's all :)

Looking forward to Chapter 3.

Sonia