COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 062 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the corrections to Othello Wayne :D

It seems you might have got confused a little while making the correction.

Listen and read from 14:12

The paragraph below should be reread or amended.
It would not be difficult to show, were it necessary, that America would soon become a richer and more happy country, provided the step was adopted. That corrosive anguish of persevering in anything improper, which now embitters the enjoyments of life, would vanish as the mist of a foggy morn doth before the rising sun; and we should find as great a disparity between our present situation, and that which would succeed to it, as subsists between a cloudy winter, and a radiant spring.--Besides, our lands would not be then cut down for the support of a numerous train of useless inhabitants--useless, I mean, to themselves, and effectually to us, by encouraging sloth and voluptuousness among our young farmers and planters, who might otherwise know how to take care of their money, as well as how to dissipate it.--In all other respects, I conceive them to be as valuable as we are--as capable of worthy purposes, and to possess the same dignity that we do, in the estimation of providence; although the value of their work apart, for which we are dependent on them, we generally consider them as good for nothing, and accordingly, treat them with greatest neglect.
Thanks for all you're doing for Librivox listeners :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

To Wayne, Craig, and Jo: Greetings! :)

Jo, thank you for explaining JSON. I googled the error and couldn't make sense of it! :)

Craig, thank you for PLing the new file which Wayne sent up successfully, following Jo's intercession! :)

Wayne, Thank you for your efforts to date; you're going to make a great LibriVox reader! :) You have a fine reading voice! Taking care of your grandkids and trying to record at the same time must he a herculean task. Given that you say you now have the second Negro Essay ready to roll, I am going to do this:

I am going to move Essay No. 1 over to Volume 63 of the Nonfiction Collection. Since Vol. 63 has just opened, that will give us all time to get Essay No. 1 word perfect (which it deserves, as an important and well read piece! :) ). Also, that way, Essays 1 and 2 will be together in the same volume.

So, Wayne, take some time to read the paragraph in Essay No 1 in accord with the text. Then, please upload your corrected file to snf063 viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73089

---------------
Wayne, as to the author of the piece, that was all new research for me. I enjoyed doing it and found the history very interesting. I am going to leave the author of both pieces as "Othello." That he was a free Negro seems unquestionable. Who exactly he was, or where he was from, we don't really know. You said, in Essay No. 1 "a free Negro of Baltimore." I'd just leave that as is. If you want to just say "a free Negro" and not mention a place in Essay No. 2, that might be better, but it's no big matter one way or the other.

Please upload both the corrected Essay No. 1 and Essay No. 2 to SNF063 here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73089.

Whew......
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Sue Anderson wrote: January 4th, 2019, 8:26 am
---------------
Wayne, as to the author of the piece, that was all new research for me. I enjoyed doing it and found the history very interesting. I am going to leave the author of both pieces as "Othello." That he was a free Negro seems unquestionable. Who exactly he was, or where he was from, we don't really know. You said, in Essay No. 1 "a free Negro of Baltimore." I'd just leave that as is. If you want to just say "a free Negro" and not mention a place in Essay No. 2, that might be better, but it's no big matter one way or the other.

Please upload both the corrected Essay No. 1 and Essay No. 2 to SNF063 here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73089.

Whew......
Just to clarify (without having listened to the recording), we read the text exactly as written - no additions of subtractions. In other words, "Othello Baltimore, May 10, 1788"

If we want to speculate on the actual identity, based on Sue's or other research, this can be added to the summary or to the author blurb in the catalog.

https://librivox.org/author/13907
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations! This collection is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/short-nonfiction-collection-vol-062-by-various/
Jo
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Sue,

I know I am more trouble than I am worth, but one question about the 'upload' of the revised (and I hope correct) Negro Essay. When I go into the 'uploader', automatically adds the rest of the file name. How do I adjust it so it goes to "viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73089"?

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 5th, 2019, 1:43 pm
Sue Anderson wrote: January 4th, 2019, 8:26 am
---------------

Whew......
Just to clarify (without having listened to the recording), we read the text exactly as written - no additions of subtractions. In other words, "Othello Baltimore, May 10, 1788"

If we want to speculate on the actual identity, based on Sue's or other research, this can be added to the summary or to the author blurb in the catalog.

https://librivox.org/author/13907
Jo, I am sorry if I did not make myself clear in my remarks to Wayne. I was not referring to his reading of the actual text of the Essays Nos. 1 and 2. I was referring to how he words the Librivox introduction to these essays. Of course, the actual text must be read “exactly as written, no additions or subtractions of words.”

What Wayne says by way of introduction to Negro Essay No. 1 is this” “What the Negro Was Thinking During the Eighteenth Century,” Essay on Negro Slavery, No. 1 by Othello, a free Negro living in Baltimore, May 10, 1788, in the Journal of Negro History…” etc.

What I was concerned about was the phrase “living in Baltimore” since we do not know whether Othello was “living in” or just “visiting” Baltimore (i.e. giving a speech in Baltimore as part of a speaking tour). I did not think it was necessary to remove the words “living in Baltimore” from his introduction of Essay No. 1, but I thought it would be more accurate to just say “Othello, a free Negro” for Essay No. 2.
Probably it would be best to just say "Othello."

Gutenberg’s typography adds confusion. The last words you see in Gutenberg’s version of Essay No. 1 are these: “Othello Baltimore, May 10, 1788.” When I first saw those words, I thought the name of the author was “Othello Baltimore.” However, when I looked at Essay No. 2 and saw the last words were “Othello Maryland, May 23, 1788.” I knew that “Baltimore” referred to a place, not a last name.

If you look at the original text from 1788, the typography is different. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=osu.32435073185555;view=1up;seq=424 Othello is written in very large caps on a different line from Baltimore and the date, written in smaller size text:

OTHELLO
Baltimore, May 10, 1788

The American Museum magazine uses pseudonyms frequently (for instance “Tribunis.”). This, and the way the signature/date text was laid out led me to the conclusion that “Othello” was a pseudonym.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Kalamareader wrote: January 5th, 2019, 3:23 pm Sue,

I know I am more trouble than I am worth, but one question about the 'upload' of the revised (and I hope correct) Negro Essay. When I go into the 'uploader', automatically adds the rest of the file name. How do I adjust it so it goes to "viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73089"?

Wayne
Hi Wayne,
Let's see if this helps:

Open your corrected recording in Audacity.
Name the recording "snf063_negroessay_othello_wc_128kb and export it as an "mp3"
Which will result in a mp3 file named "snf063_negroessay_othello_wc_128kb.mp3"

Go to the uploader. When the uploader asks you to open a file, open this "snf063" file. Chose "knotyouraveragejo" as the MC, as you did before, press "upload" and, that is when you will see the longer https name appear, (i.e. https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/ ....plus the name of your file)

Just as you did before, copy this long file name, and post it to the thread for volume 63: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73089

The only difference is that this time you want to name your file "snf063" instead of "snf062."

-----------------------
When it comes to Negro Essay No. 2, you will want a file name that differentiates it from No. 1. You can name it "negroessay2" if you like.

Any problems or questions, we're here to help! :help:

Regards,
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sue Anderson wrote: January 1st, 2019, 7:54 pm
Hi Ava, While I was entering the data for Tesla, I came across this absolute gem on page 702 of the February 1919 issue of the Electrical Experimenter: "Women Now Trained as Meter Readers." The article opens thus:
"Can women read electric meters satisfactorily? They can."

If you don't want to read this one, I will! :mrgreen:
Go for it. Who knows what else you might be capable of. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Well, Ava, when I was a Campfire Girl, I earned a merit badge for learning how to change a fuse, so perhaps there's hope for me yet. :hmm: