[COMPLETE]The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

JayKitty76 wrote: December 14th, 2018, 6:43 pm Phil,
I couldn’t find a section 0 in the MW, but on section 1, the Notice and Explanatory, it isn’t listed in the table of contents but is first when you actually look at the chapters themselves...
I’m sort of confused :hmm: :hmm:
Oh, I see what you mean. I just assumed that was part of chatper 1 but if you want to make it a separate section that is fine but we will need to add a section zero.. There is no zero section because the template will only make one if you mark that box when setting it up. I suggest making the notice and explanatory section part of section one so the chapters fall correctly otherwise people may become confused. what do you wish to do? Don't worry, you will not need to renumber the sections.
EDIT: I checked with other versions and they just make the notice part of chapter 1.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi Phil,
Misspag has claimed chapter 1 and I feel uncomfortable reading any of the chapters myself because of some of the racist slurs included in the book, so that is why I assigned myself the Notice and Explanatory. Could you please make section 1 section 0 so it is counted as a preface of sorts? Or would that mess things up too much?
If it’s too complicated, it’s fine, just include it with chapter 1. It’s just that I wanted to be part of the recording process in my project here, but as I stated before, my conscience and beliefs don’t agree with my reading any of the racist slurs included in every single one of the chapters. :?
Thanks for understanding :thumbs:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

JayKitty - let me see if I can add a section zero and keep the chapters in alignment.
EDIT: DONE, thanks to Kitty who showed me the way. Image
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thanks! Now can you just delete section 45 that comes after Chapter the last? Sorry for all this trouble.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thanks! You're a really great MC- Thanks for putting up with my mistakes :)
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

JayKitty - I know it seems impossible but there may be people who have not read Huckleberry Finn or who are not aware of the style of writing. For these few it might be a good idea to put something in the summary for potential readers to let them know before they claim a chapter that much of the book is written in dialect and not spelled like normal English and that some people may not wish to read the constant racial epithets. Dialect can be very hard for some people to decipher since it contains a lot of non standard abbreviations and ellipses that don't give a clue as to it's meaning. Something like "This book contains a lot of American dialect and racial slurs and epithets as common in the 1800's. Please preview the chapter before claiming to be sure you are comfortable with reading it" Or something like that and it can always be taken out before the book is cataloged. [I recorded this novel as a solo and can assure you the dialects caused me to stop cold and try to puzzle out the meanings many times! and I grew up in New Orleans, Louisiana and actually heard them spoken yet it was a challenge for me] Let me know what you think.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I am moving this to Readers Wanted
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi Phil,
Sorry, I've been offline for a couple days.
I forgot about putting a kind of 'warning' (maybe that's not the right word, perhaps 'notification' is a better choice?) in the summary. I recently read Huck Finn for the first time myself, and I do like the language (er, Huck's unusual wording/way of thinking ["seven times seven is thirty-five" or something like that :lol: ] but yes, I will edit the summary.
Thanks for notifying me :thumbs:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
MFD32

Post by MFD32 »

Hi all. I can take Chapter 2 if it's open. Thanks.

-Mark-
fshort

Post by fshort »

I would like to record Chapter 2. I've read the chapter. This book is a classic and stands alone in its reputation. On another recording, I substituted the word "colored" for "nigger" because I couldn't bring myself to say it. In that recording, the word nigger was inadvertent. Assumed. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a totally different kettle of fish. I have no trouble reading the classic in all its brilliance of social commentary.
Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

fshort wrote: December 18th, 2018, 6:03 pm I would like to record Chapter 2. I've read the chapter. This book is a classic and stands alone in its reputation. On another recording, I substituted the word "colored" for "nigger" because I couldn't bring myself to say it. In that recording, the word nigger was inadvertent. Assumed. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a totally different kettle of fish. I have no trouble reading the classic in all its brilliance of social commentary.
Hi fshort,
Mark claimed this chapter about 30 minutes before you posted. LV has a policy of first -come-first-served when it comes to claims. I understand your reasoning behind this, but we prefer that the book is read how it is written. If you'd like any other sections, please let me know :thumbs:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

fshort wrote: December 18th, 2018, 6:03 pm I would like to record Chapter 2. I've read the chapter. This book is a classic and stands alone in its reputation. On another recording, I substituted the word "colored" for "nigger" because I couldn't bring myself to say it. In that recording, the word nigger was inadvertent. Assumed. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a totally different kettle of fish. I have no trouble reading the classic in all its brilliance of social commentary.
For the record for everyone reading this: Words, even "inadvertent" ones, are NOT to be changed in any LibriVox recordings. This is clear LibriVox policy. Here's a link and the quote:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies#May_I_change_the_text.3F
May I change the text?

Occasionally people ask if they can change the published text, for instance by omitting or substituting offensive words or ideas.

The answer is No. We present the text as it is written: no additions, omissions, or substitutions. If the text contains a word you just cannot say, consider choosing something else to record. (There is so much available to record! No need to cause yourself discomfort.) If you wish to make an "editorial comment" about the content of the text, you may do so in the written catalog summary, but you may not add it to the recording.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
laurie02

Post by laurie02 »

Hi all, I'm new and would love to try my hand at some recording!! Please could I have chapter three? Or chapter 4 if three has been taken :) I would like to be listed as Laurie02

Thanks
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi Laurie!
I will put you in as Laurie02. You've got chapter 3 :thumbs:
If you want any more just let me know :)
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

JayKitty76 wrote: December 19th, 2018, 12:36 pm Hi Laurie!
I will put you in as Laurie02. You've got chapter 3 :thumbs:
If you want any more just let me know :)
JayKitty, note that Laurie02 has apparently not done her 1 minute test and should not record anything until she has the OK. Please explain how this is done and tell her not to record the chapter yet.