[solo] The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde - pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894).

This project can now be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-strange-case-of-dr-jeckyll-and-mr-hyde-by-robert-louis-stevenson/
This story deals with the obvious fact that we humans are split, dual. Why is this? We have urges to do the 'right' thing, to be honorable and helpful and wise, but we also frequently fail to follow these better instincts and follow instead urges to do dishonorable, evil and hurtful things. Are we really composed of two different personalities housed within the same brain, within the same person? Dr Jeckyll in this story is so convinced and manages by scientific means to actually split himself into his ordinary composite self, and his evil self whom he calls Mr. Hyde. The horror of this is well documented here and shows what might happen were this possible. (summary by Phil Chenevert )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename drjeckyllandmrhyde_##_stevenson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. drjeckyllandmrhyde_01_stevenson_128kb.mp3)

[
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
linny

Post by linny »

Dole checking in! :clap:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

linny wrote: December 11th, 2018, 1:06 pm Dole checking in! :clap:
:thumbs: it will be awhile before I start this but it'll be fun then.
linny

Post by linny »

Note to self, never do a quick librivox checkin without my glasses. I have no idea why you would need a dole to help you but I’ll do what I can. :lol:

No need to rush. I’ll be here when you get here. My husband arrives home for leave Dec 21 - Jan 11 so I’ll be a little slow during that time period.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The first 2 chapters are now in the MW.
linny

Post by linny »

I’ll get caught up over the weekend. My husband leaves the states again on Friday and until then life is really busy.
linny

Post by linny »

Chapter 1
Extra wording - "Chapter [number] of The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson. This is a LibriVox recording.
I don’t know if you want to bother with the edit but well, it’s my job to point it out. :wink:

Chapters 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7
PL ok

Catch up complete. :)

Actually, I don't remember ever reading this so DPLing it is great fun. Thank you.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

linny wrote: January 12th, 2019, 1:28 pm Chapter 1
Extra wording - "Chapter [number] of The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson. This is a LibriVox recording.
I don’t know if you want to bother with the edit but well, it’s my job to point it out. :wink:

Chapters 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7
PL ok

Catch up complete. :)

Actually, I don't remember ever reading this so DPLing it is great fun. Thank you.
I am going to leave that extra RLS in there. Yes, it is your job and you do a great one so keep it up. About reading it, would you believe that I have never read it before either? Apparently I missed a LOT of the classics while concentrating on comic books in my youth. This way I get extra credit from the teacher, right?
linny

Post by linny »

I toggled chapter 1 to PL OK.

Chapter 8
4:31 repeat - and the cook, crying out “Bless God! it’s Mr. Utterson,” ran forward as if to take him in her arms.

At the time I viewed most of the classics as 'boy' books. If it was even mentioned as a classic then I wasn't interested. I was much more focused on Little House on the Prairie and Nancy Drew. :roll:

I'm not a teacher but given your solo library here you get all the extra credit your heart desires. :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

linny wrote: January 13th, 2019, 2:05 pm I toggled chapter 1 to PL OK.

Chapter 8
4:31 repeat - and the cook, crying out “Bless God! it’s Mr. Utterson,” ran forward as if to take him in her arms.

At the time I viewed most of the classics as 'boy' books. If it was even mentioned as a classic then I wasn't interested. I was much more focused on Little House on the Prairie and Nancy Drew. :roll:

I'm not a teacher but given your solo library here you get all the extra credit your heart desires. :D
The repeat has been removed and the file uploaded again. Thanks for the extra credit, my GPA needs the help. :D (now back to those comic books!)
linny

Post by linny »

Chapter 9 is PL OK but I still hear that repeat on 8.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

linny wrote: January 13th, 2019, 4:34 pm Chapter 9 is PL OK but I still hear that repeat on 8.
I uploaded chapter 8 again and think it is fixed. But then I 'thought' i'd fixed the sink too and we all know what happened there! :roll:
linny

Post by linny »

8 is spot check PL OK.

Are you sure 10 is the file for me? I don't mind but it's not normal for you so I think you might have an edited version somewhere. I wanted to check before I continued.

1:16 – repeat/stumbles - Many a man would have even blazoned such irregularities as I was guilty of; but from the high views that I had set before me, I regarded and hid them with an almost morbid sense of shame.

1:37 - It was thus rather the exacting nature of my aspirations than any particular degradation in my faults, that made me what I was, and, with even a deeper trench than in the majority of men, severed in me those provinces of good and ill which divide and compound man’s dual nature.

2:26 - Though so profound a double-dealer, I was in no sense a hypocrite; both sides of me were in dead earnest; I was no more myself when I laid aside restraint and plunged in shame, than when I laboured, in the eye of day, at the furtherance of knowledge or the relief of sorrow and suffering.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I apologize for the inconvenience; that was indeed a track only partially edited that got mixed up by my file system. I'm uploading the fully edited one right now for your listening astuteness.

Is it just me, or does RLS use way too many dependent clauses? My brain had trouble keeping track of his thought and meaning in those convoluted sentences. Maybe it's just me. And his amazing vocabulary was impressive too. Anyway, once you listen to this final track you can enjoy the immense prestige among your peers of knowing the real story of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. Ain't you proud? I know I am. :roll:
linny

Post by linny »

I have to admit I'm glad we didn't give up comic book and Little House on the Prairie time. It's good to know the story and I'm sure we are better for it but I really thought it was going to be more "Jack the Ripper-ish". :oops:

Congratulations on completing another solo. :clap:

Please keep me in mind for another. :D