The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran, pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931).

This project can now be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-prophet-version-2-by-kahlil-gibran/
The Prophet is an inspirational book of 28 lyrical prose essays on life, love, children, religion, work, and more, - written in English by the Lebanese artist, philosopher and writer Kahlil Gibran. It was originally published in 1923 by Alfred A. Knopf, and is Gibran's best known work. The Prophet has been translated into over 40 different languages and has never been out of print. (Summary by Michele Fry, Soloist)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58585
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special, follow along with the text and point out any significant discrepancies.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: zqv5kKjU
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Kahlil Gibran) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahlil_Gibran
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prophet_(book)
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 8
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known): 1923
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro for Section 1 only):
    • "The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, recited by Michele Fry, Baton Rouge, Louisiana in January 2019. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Chapter 1, The Coming Of the Ship"

For the second and all subsequent sections, use this shortened Intro and Outro:
    • "Chapter x of The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, on [chapter title], recited by Michele Fry, Baton Rouge, Louisiana". (Read the chapter).
      End of Chapter x, on [Chapter Title]. This Librivox recording is in the public domain."
      Follow by 5 seconds of silence.
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename prophet_##_gibran_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. prophet_01_gibran_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Kahlil Gibran
Title: Chapter #, Chapter title
Album: The Prophet

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

Soloist: Michele Fry
MC: Phil Chenevert
DPL: Burgundy Grace
Cover: Michele Fry
Last edited by msfry on January 29th, 2019, 1:25 pm, edited 12 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I doubt very much that we can accept any recordings until the 1st January USA time, (don't ask me which time zone - I have no idea :D ).

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I agree with Anne. I suppose you could set this up, but no uploading until January 1.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: December 10th, 2018, 3:04 pm I doubt very much that we can accept any recordings until the 1st January USA time, (don't ask me which time zone - I have no idea :D ).

Anne
You mean, I can't upload files to Phil's folder so they can be PL'd before January 1st? I was hoping to catalog it on January 1st. So long as we don't publish them, how can storing files on a private server violate any copyright laws?
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: December 10th, 2018, 3:06 pm I agree with Anne. I suppose you could set this up, but no uploading until January 1.
Are LV projects considered "published" before they are catalogued? Please explain.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Making recordings/copies of copyrighted works is against the law - not just the "publishing" of them.

So technically, you recording them at home before 2019 is breaking the copyright - but no one will know about it. Uploading them, people will know about it.

Better to stay in the clear white rather than venturing into shades of grey. :)
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

I will happily DPL this project when it begins as of January 1, 2019.

Regards,
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace wrote: December 10th, 2018, 3:19 pm I will happily DPL this project when it begins as of January 1, 2019.

Regards,
Thanks, Angelique. Welcome aboard. Looks like we shall leap into the New Year together! :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Will it be "white and right" to get a MW ahead of time so I can fill in the section titles?
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Marrrvvelllouss, Michele!
~Angelique
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote: December 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm Will it be "white and right" to get a MW ahead of time so I can fill in the section titles?
Getting the opinions of the other admins on this (and confirmation on the uploading prohibition)... you're the first I'm aware of to ask these questions. You're the vanguard, leading the charge into 2019! 8-)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Michele , what you have said and are still implying in a public forum is that you are planning to break USA copyright laws. And I'm sure that is not what you intended but that is what you have said . I'm not commenting on the laws - I could read the whole thing today, our Ruth read it a few years ago - legally as she was British , and posted it on Legamus, also legally because it is European and any non American can download it legally. Things are Legal or not Legal , we do not host almost legal things just legal ones.

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: December 10th, 2018, 3:57 pm Michele , what you have said and are still implying in a public forum is that you are planning to break USA copyright laws. And I'm sure that is not what you intended but that is what you have said . I'm not commenting on the laws - I could read the whole thing today, our Ruth read it a few years ago - legally as she was British , and posted it on Legamus, also legally because it is European and any non American can download it legally. Things are Legal or not Legal , we do not host almost legal things just legal ones.

Anne
Sorry. How did I say that? I won't upload any files to LV until 2019 or ask LV to "host" anything. But I can read something aloud and record it for residence on my own private computer or cloud space, no?
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: December 10th, 2018, 3:46 pm
msfry wrote: December 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm Will it be "white and right" to get a MW ahead of time so I can fill in the section titles?
Getting the opinions of the other admins on this (and confirmation on the uploading prohibition)... you're the first I'm aware of to ask these questions. You're the vanguard, leading the charge into 2019! 8-)
Nothing new for me. I'm always leading one charge or another, not ever on purpose or to disrupt, but just following logical lines as I see them. Sometimes they expand awareness or even change policy, sometimes not. They do usually help set parameters more clearly. And if you believe Martha Stewart.. . . . "that's a good thing". :)

So on setting up the MW in advance, what's the logic of prohibiting that? Not arguing, mind you. Just asking for clarification.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm locking the thread and moving it to book suggestions till it is PD
Anne