COMPLETE [Grp Language] An Essay Concerning Human Understanding Book III Of Words by John Locke-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Gary17

Post by Gary17 »

I would like to claim section 6, title Chapter VI of the Names of Substances Part One.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Gary17 :thumbs:

Section 6 is yours.

Craig

We are reading the section numbers in the text.
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Gary17

Post by Gary17 »

Great. Thank you.

Can you clarify what you mean by section numbers?

Do you have a deadline schedule in mind?

Gary
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the question Gary.

1. The common Names of Substances stand for Sorts.

You would say: One. The common Names of Substances stand for Sorts.

2. The Essence of each Sort of substance is our abstract Idea to which the name is annexed.

Say: Two ...

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
abestone

Post by abestone »

Hi can I do section 13?

--
Abe
Abe
soupy

Post by soupy »

Hi abestone :D

welcome to Librivox :thumbs:

Thanks for joining us here! Whether you're an avid listener of our content, or ready to jump in and produce your content, we're glad you signed up. If the information you want isn't mentioned below, you may find it through the LibriVox Wiki Index. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Main_Page

I will reserve section 13 Chapter X Of The Abuse Of Words Part Two for you.

Let me know what discplay name you would like to use.

Also let me know if you have any questions.

Craig
BC for this project

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
abestone

Post by abestone »

OK, great! I should be able to upload it pretty soon (not having done this before, I wanted to be sure I could finish before I claimed anything). I think I've followed all the instructions.

Screen name: this appears where? Is there a reason for it not to be just my actual name?

--
Abe
Abe
soupy

Post by soupy »

I'm glad you're so exited to start.

Your profile name is abestone.

Some use the same for display name - others use their own name unless your name is Abe Stone whereas you can use any other name but I can't put you in to read without a display name.

You can also let me know if you have a website that you own that you want listed.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
abestone

Post by abestone »

Yeah my name is in fact Abe Stone (although I sometimes hope people will parse "a best one"). I'm indifferent as to spacing and capitalization of my display name. :)

--
Abe
Abe
soupy

Post by soupy »

Section 7 is all yours A Best One :D

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Cboswell7498

Post by Cboswell7498 »

Hi, I'm a new reader. I am waiting on the okay for the test recording I've submitted, but I would love to read a section of this book. I am a philosophy major and find John Locke's work very interesting. I think since Im new Id like to start with section 9. From there Id be willing to take other sections as well to help complete the book. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew at once and would like to get my feet wet with a shorter selection. I'll let yo know when I get the official Okay.

Here's my test if anyone here needs to hear it. Not sure if its necessary to post here, I'm just covering my bases.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_cboswell7498.mp3
soupy

Post by soupy »

Hi Cboswell7498 :D
Hi, I'm a new reader. I am waiting on the okay for the test recording I've submitted, but I would love to read a section of this book. I am a philosophy major and find John Locke's work very interesting. I think since Im new Id like to start with section 9. From there Id be willing to take other sections as well to help complete the book. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew at once and would like to get my feet wet with a shorter selection. I'll let yo know when I get the official Okay.

Here's my test if anyone here needs to hear it. Not sure if its necessary to post here, I'm just covering my bases.
Thanks for your interest in the philosophy of John Locke. Volunteers have read many philosophical texts. I am planning on doing Locke's 4th book after this one is completed.

I listened to your test recording of:

People were pleased to find that Peter Piper had picked a couple pages for fable fans at LibriVox. Thankful that this was Thursday the thirtieth, the Piper anticipated forum fun and a wonderful weekend of recording! This is a test by YOURNAME. Had it been an actual LibriVox contribution, it would have been a Public Domain text, previously published and probably interesting." (Leave the mic running for 3-5 seconds at the end, where you don't say anything.)

I found several things to talk about.

First- You recorded it in stereo instead of mono.
Second - you read Thursday the thirteenth for Thursday the thirtieth
Three - There was background noise that can be cleaned up.
Four - the volume was a little low at 87.5 - we like it at 89

Please complete the test again and upload it to this project and I will check it again.

This link will take you to a link of recording helps
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

I will put you in for section 9 Chapter VII Of Particles.
Your profile name is Cboswell7498 - let me know what display name you would like and if you would like to add a website that you own and I'll list you in the magic window.

Craih

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Cboswell7498

Post by Cboswell7498 »

soupy wrote: May 8th, 2019, 10:07 am Hi Cboswell7498 :D

Thanks for your interest in the philosophy of John Locke. Volunteers have read many philosophical texts. I am planning on doing Locke's 4th book after this one is completed.

I listened to your test recording of:

People were pleased to find that Peter Piper had picked a couple pages for fable fans at LibriVox. Thankful that this was Thursday the thirtieth, the Piper anticipated forum fun and a wonderful weekend of recording! This is a test by YOURNAME. Had it been an actual LibriVox contribution, it would have been a Public Domain text, previously published and probably interesting." (Leave the mic running for 3-5 seconds at the end, where you don't say anything.)

I found several things to talk about.

First- You recorded it in stereo instead of mono.
Second - you read Thursday the thirteenth for Thursday the thirtieth
Three - There was background noise that can be cleaned up.
Four - the volume was a little low at 87.5 - we like it at 89

Please complete the test again and upload it to this project and I will check it again.

This link will take you to a link of recording helps
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

I will put you in for section 9 Chapter VII Of Particles.
Your profile name is Cboswell7498 - let me know what display name you would like and if you would like to add a website that you own and I'll list you in the magic window.

Craih
Yes, It was pointed out to me that I recorded in stereo instead of mono. I also made mention of me misreading thirtieth in my official test post. I caught the mistake after upload, but figured that my recording quality could still be demonstrated even though there was that flub. I will also boost my volume a bit. What would you suggest as far as cleaning up background noise? I'm using Reaper to record, is there some kind of plugin I should seek out? I don't have a website for you to list. You can use my user name as my display name I guess? Unless you recommend otherwise.
Thanks
-Chris
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Most people use Audacity to record because it has a full compliment of add ons and is free :D
This link will take you to the software used on Libriox

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Software_We_Use

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_1-2-3

It looks like Reaper has a youtube tutorial.

You are signed up for section 9

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Cboswell7498

Post by Cboswell7498 »

Okay, Ill figure out how to clean up the background noise. I already have 2 DAW softwares on my PC, so Id rather not Download Audacity if I don't have to, although I will if I need to. Ill re-post tonight and see if I my new submission will meet the standards for LV.
Thanks
Chris