[COMPLETE] The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 10 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This volume of the 1001 Night is fully claimed,
Oops - I missed that. Moving it to Readers Found!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Section 17 uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_17_anonymous_128kb.mp3
5.1 Mb
5m34s

Urgh. You can hear my sore throat. I'd better wait for it to improve before recording the long section...
Foon

Post by Foon »

SkyRider wrote: June 18th, 2019, 7:33 am Section 17 uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_17_anonymous_128kb.mp3
5.1 Mb
5m34s

Urgh. You can hear my sore throat. I'd better wait for it to improve before recording the long section...
Thanks Paul!

Be careful, if it hurts, it's your body's way of telling you to take it easy!
I have a dinner thing to get to, but I'll PL hopefully tomorrow. :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Taking it easy sounds like a good option. :-)

There's no hurry - have as many dinners as you like.
Foon

Post by Foon »

SkyRider wrote: June 18th, 2019, 9:40 am have as many dinners as you like.
Hahaha well one was enough! :lol:

Section 17 is PL OK, nicely done! :thumbs:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Paul,
Now back to the usual roles ;) I've uploaded section 20!
Excuse my French! (both literally and proverbially :lol: )

Readers needed:
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Foon wrote: June 19th, 2019, 6:15 am Excuse my French!
There's a surprisingly large amount of it - presumably, that long paragraph is quoting Galland, but it would be nice if Burton had done it in translation...!

All good - section 20 PL OK.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you Paul & Elsie :D

Readers needed:
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

elsieselwyn wrote: June 19th, 2019, 9:15 am Whew! Section 26 ready for PL:
Whew, indeed. Well done on that - you've clearly put a lot of legwork in to find out how to expand the acronyms.

There are a number of places where the person that proofread the scan just replaced the Greek word with {Greek} rather than attempting to render it in some way. I think you've done the right thing skipping those as putting the text in would mean having to find a copy of the original manuscript. It does leave some obvious gaps in the read though.

There are a few small corrections that I'd like to suggest.

Volume - Please amplify by 2.5 dB - I wouldn't have commented on this if it were the only thing, but if you're making corrections anyway it would be good to hit the target level.

01:30 - "According to Munchi" should be "Accompanied by a Munshi"

02:27 - You've expanded N. Lat as North Lateral a couple of times. May I suggest that the context makes Northern Latitude a better rendition? In UK English, we're more likely to use Latitude rather than Parallel.

07:45 - There's an extra "Alle" at the start of the quotation as you've pasted it in.

10:06 - I'd suggest that in the citations "c." is almost certainly "circa" rather than "one hundred". There are a number of these...
10:06 - ii c. 80
10:19 - i c. 135
11:44 - i c. 8
13:07 - vi c. I9 (See also next point)
14:39 - iv c. 40
15:17 - v c. 13
24:58 - xi c. 13

13:07 - Here's another gripe with the proofreading. I'm sure all those capital I in numbers should actually be 1s, though again it would need a copy of the original to check this. There are four of these:
13:07 - vi c. I9
24:45 - Suetonius, cap. Iii
30:34 - xi 7I
33:30 xxvi I60-I74
Foon - do you have any thoughts on what to do with these?

17:52 - You've corrected your pronunciation of "Hetairesis" but left both versions in.

Sorry if this appears overly critical - I want to emphasise that you've made a far better job of this than I could, but it's my role here to do the nitpicking.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

SkyRider wrote: June 19th, 2019, 10:58 am
elsieselwyn wrote: June 19th, 2019, 9:15 am Whew! Section 26 ready for PL:
Whew, indeed. Well done on that - you've clearly put a lot of legwork in to find out how to expand the acronyms.

There are a number of places where the person that proofread the scan just replaced the Greek word with {Greek} rather than attempting to render it in some way. I think you've done the right thing skipping those as putting the text in would mean having to find a copy of the original manuscript. It does leave some obvious gaps in the read though.

There are a few small corrections that I'd like to suggest.

Volume - Please amplify by 2.5 dB - I wouldn't have commented on this if it were the only thing, but if you're making corrections anyway it would be good to hit the target level.

01:30 - "According to Munchi" should be "Accompanied by a Munshi"

02:27 - You've expanded N. Lat as North Lateral a couple of times. May I suggest that the context makes Northern Latitude a better rendition? In UK English, we're more likely to use Latitude rather than Parallel.

07:45 - There's an extra "Alle" at the start of the quotation as you've pasted it in.

10:06 - I'd suggest that in the citations "c." is almost certainly "circa" rather than "one hundred". There are a number of these...
10:06 - ii c. 80
10:19 - i c. 135
11:44 - i c. 8
13:07 - vi c. I9 (See also next point)
14:39 - iv c. 40
15:17 - v c. 13
24:58 - xi c. 13

13:07 - Here's another gripe with the proofreading. I'm sure all those capital I in numbers should actually be 1s, though again it would need a copy of the original to check this. There are four of these:

17:52 - You've corrected your pronunciation of "Hetairesis" but left both versions in.

Sorry if this appears overly critical - I want to emphasise that you've made a far better job of this than I could, but it's my role here to do the nitpicking.
Oh no problem! I must have submitted the wrong recording before I amplified the volume. I appreciate the attention to detail :D
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Foon

Post by Foon »

SkyRider wrote: June 19th, 2019, 10:58 am 13:07 - Here's another gripe with the proofreading. I'm sure all those capital I in numbers should actually be 1s, though again it would need a copy of the original to check this. There are four of these:
I think you're right. I know from experience that 1's and I's are among the trickiest things in PG proofing... There are more small errors in the text like these, so I'm very inclined to think they're indeed supposed to be numbers!

Readers needed:
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

So here is Section 26 for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_26_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (36:00)

note: I just realized that somehow I managed to record this accidentally in mono and not stereo :roll: . I don't think I can convert it from one to the other. If you want me to rerecord, I can.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

note: I just realized that somehow I managed to record this accidentally in mono and not stereo :roll: . I don't think I can convert it from one to the other. If you want me to rerecord, I can.
Umm... our recordings are supposed to be in mono.

EDIT: If you meant this the other way around, you can make stereo into mono pretty easily. Let me know if you need instructions.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Foon

Post by Foon »

elsieselwyn wrote: June 20th, 2019, 5:39 pm So here is Section 26 for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_26_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (36:00)

Thank you Elsie!
I see Tricia has already answered you regarding mono/stereo; just to be clear, did you only redo the corrections? Or did you rerecord the whole section? :hmm:

Readers needed: