[COMPLETE]World's Story 5: Italy, France, Spain, Portugal - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote: November 12th, 2018, 8:08 am Joseph trimmed for spot PL :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_059_joseph_128kb.mp3
thank you, and PL ok now. Listening to this again, I think Joseph really has cheek to speak so saucily to the cardinal :lol: I'm looking forward to hearing this in contrast with Foon's Richelieu.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: November 12th, 2018, 9:30 am Section 87 - Death of Napoleon (time 3:02)
and section 47 - Hire
I have pronounced the name in an English way. If you want anything different let me know.
ah I see what you mean, well I actually didn't take it to be a name at all, I thought it was meant to be a "hired arm", a soldier. So yes, English pronunciation is absolutely fine. And well acted too, for some reason you almost sound like a host of soldiers and not just one man, maybe the use of the pronoun "us" is doing this trick.

And the elegy on Napoleon's death is really beautifully read. :9: It's just like the poem, bitter-sweet in the way that it's a death poem but also powerful and elating because the glorious battles are mentioned. Very nice touch.

Both sections PL ok. There was only a slight deviation in the final line of the poem and I pondered for a bit if I should mention it for correction, but I think both variants sound absolutely great, so no need to change it. :)

Thanks !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: November 12th, 2018, 6:35 pm Here are corrected Capulet and Petrarch:
and finally, Jim, thank you for the prompt corrections as well. Both sections now PL ok. :thumbs:

Sonia
haztag

Post by haztag »

Hi Sonia
love the subject..
would like to claim the following please...

yours...
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

haztag wrote: November 13th, 2018, 3:41 am Hi Sonia
love the subject..
would like to claim the following please...
yours...
oh hello there and welcome to this project. :D I see you are a brand new reader, so I'm especially pleased that you want to start out with this project. The sections are mostly very short, so it's good practice before you launch into something bigger.

I can assign you those 5 sections, but I would recommend starting with the shortest section first, then after careful editing and grooming, uploading and posting it already here, so I can give you feedback on it, before you start the second recording. This will prevent making any "newbie" mistakes in all the recordings ;)

Now I need to open your personal Reader Page. For that, can you please tell me under what name you want to be registered ? It can be your forum name or real name or anything else really. I just need to know :)

Please read the first post carefully, you'll find all the details for correct intro/outro and file naming there. Also read the special instructions in the second post, regarding footnotes and long/short disclaimer (I think your sections all need the long disclaimer, but you can see that in the MW (magic window).

Have fun with your first recording. Looking forward to listening. :D

Sonia
haztag

Post by haztag »

thanks a lot sonia..!!!
I suppose I can keep Haztag as my reader name..
speak to you soon....
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

haztag wrote: November 13th, 2018, 4:38 am thanks a lot sonia..!!!
I suppose I can keep Haztag as my reader name..
speak to you soon....
all right, here you go: https://librivox.org/reader/12914
this is your personal reader page, where all your projects will be listed and you can check what claims are still outstanding or have PL notes or are PL ok. If you click on Reader section details, you'll see your claims.

You are now officially signed up. Just ask as soon as you have any problems.

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Kitty wrote: November 13th, 2018, 2:56 am
Foon wrote: November 12th, 2018, 6:20 am Here are a few more of my sections. Sorry to put more on your PL list--no worries if it takes a bit longer, I know you're really busy!
well listening to your sections is always a pleasure :) and these are beautifully read again, and no textual errors at all.

Only one thing, in 4 of the sections, you forgot to say “This recording is in the public domain” at the end :?

Section 16, at 2:27 / Section 58, at 2:09 / Section 65, at 2:00 / Section 98, at 3:14
I ... have absolutely no idea how that happened--I recorded them all together, even! I'm a bit of a doofus sometimes, I guess :roll:

Thanks for your always kind words!
Here are the fixes; I just copy-pasted that line from section 43 into the other ones, I hope that's OK.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_016_tappan_128kb.mp3 2:35
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_058_tappan_128kb.mp3 2:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_065_tappan_128kb.mp3 2:07
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_098_tappan_128kb.mp3 3:21

PS did you also think that the hierarchy system to serve the Queen is terribly confusing ? :lol:
Yes :shock: I was so confused, learning those rules must have been hella confusing for those servants!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Foon

Post by Foon »

Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Sonia

Re: Hire

Checking the full text of the Schiller on Gutenberg I found that the character is actually called "La Hire" a french officer. I could change it if you think it is worth it.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: November 13th, 2018, 10:15 amHere are the fixes; I just copy-pasted that line from section 43 into the other ones, I hope that's OK.
of course, that's very time-efficient ;) thanks, all 4 sections now PL ok.
ah she is the voice of reason :lol: compared to her irate husband. Nice touch, and also PL ok.

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: November 13th, 2018, 10:59 am Checking the full text of the Schiller on Gutenberg I found that the character is actually called "La Hire" a french officer. I could change it if you think it is worth it.
ah, I don't know the original play, I must admit. Ok, so it was a name after all....well still, I don't think we need to correct the pronunciation. You can if you wish, but for me it's also fine like this.

Great find though :thumbs: thanks

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_019_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 14:22
Hello Sonia,
Above is my first claimed section for this thread.
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: November 14th, 2018, 4:38 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_019_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 14:22
Hello Sonia,
thank you, April, exellent start in your contributions for this book. I have never read Romola by George Eliot, but it sounds like it's a good book. I'm sure it's already done for LV though :lol:

Kudos for getting you tongue around the many Savaronola's in the chapter :mrgreen: not easy to pronounce. I also like your gruff speech for Piero in the end :thumbs: A typical Italian.

I have three small notes for you to consider this time:

> from 0:30-0:34: repeat of “the burning of the vanities, by George Eliot” – you can cut these 4 seconds out, we only need the title once, the second one is the correct one, where you include the date 1497

> at 10:27: (p. 60) – “There is a little too much shouting of Viva Gesu” – yours sounds more like “and viva guess who” – Gesu is simply pronounced like Jesu. In a previous sentence you said it correctly. Could you please maybe re-do this sentence to make it more clear ?

> at 12:37: (p. 61) – “Talk of heresy, indeed” – you say “hear-say”, but he means “her-e-sy” here in this context

The rest is fine. Just the sound was not the same as your usual sound, did you record in another room maybe ? It is slightly more echoey. :hmm: Not disturbing, but I was wondering why.

Thanks !

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote: November 15th, 2018, 2:20 am
adr6090 wrote: November 14th, 2018, 4:38 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_019_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 14:22
Hello Sonia,
thank you, April, exellent start in your contributions for this book. I have never read Romola by George Eliot, but it sounds like it's a good book. I'm sure it's already done for LV though :lol:

Kudos for getting you tongue around the many Savaronola's in the chapter :mrgreen: not easy to pronounce. I also like your gruff speech for Piero in the end :thumbs: A typical Italian.

I have three small notes for you to consider this time:

> from 0:30-0:34: repeat of “the burning of the vanities, by George Eliot” – you can cut these 4 seconds out, we only need the title once, the second one is the correct one, where you include the date 1497

> at 10:27: (p. 60) – “There is a little too much shouting of Viva Gesu” – yours sounds more like “and viva guess who” – Gesu is simply pronounced like Jesu. In a previous sentence you said it correctly. Could you please maybe re-do this sentence to make it more clear ?

> at 12:37: (p. 61) – “Talk of heresy, indeed” – you say “hear-say”, but he means “her-e-sy” here in this context

The rest is fine. Just the sound was not the same as your usual sound, did you record in another room maybe ? It is slightly more echoey. :hmm: Not disturbing, but I was wondering why.

Thanks !

Sonia

I have not changed locations for recording, I also caught a hint of the echoey sound you have mentioned. Beyond me just why it is there. Perhaps next time, I will attempt to record it again and hope it isn't there? Hmmm....
Sorry about my pronunciation of heresy, I honestly have not heard it pronounced the way you have suggested. I will get that pronunciation in my redo though, thank you. :)
I will also redo the sentence with Gesu in it, promise.
I wondered about saying the title twice, didn't seem right to me. I will fix that happily.

Thank you Sonia.
April