[COMPLETE]World's Story 5: Italy, France, Spain, Portugal - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 1:16 pm Well you should get some sleep than since it is a later time for you. I will patiently await your final pl. :wink:
everything is perfectly corrected and PL ok now, April. Thank you :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hypatia wrote: January 7th, 2019, 4:12 pm Here is section 123:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_123_tappan_128kb.mp3 (12:00)
thank you for this interesting lesson marriage politics, Hypatia. :thumbs: Beautifully narrated and flawlessly read. Kudos on the excellent job with those many Spanish and Portuguese names. :clap: It was nice to listen to.

After the final sentence, that Catherine would be too young for the King, out of curiosity, I checked the ages of these people. Indeed, while Philippa and John were only 3 years apart, Catherine was 13 years younger than her sister. She would have been only in her early teens at that time. So I guess his choice was a reasonable one.

PL ok, of course. Well done.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and thank you for this highly dramatic chapter. That was a time of upheaval back in the final days of the revolution. And yes, quite ironic that Robespierre would end up on the guillotine after he sentenced so many to that same fate. :? I always get squeamish when I hear such episodes of executions.

Nevertheless, excellently read again. And a great job on the French slogans. :thumbs: Thank you for yet another PL ok section, Jim.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia. I liked the way Carlyle set it up as a tragic play. Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: January 8th, 2019, 6:20 am Thanks, Sonia. I liked the way Carlyle set it up as a tragic play. Jim
yes indeed. I was highly surprised by his style. I never read anything by him but didn't think his "histories" would read that way.

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:thumbs:
Kitty wrote: January 8th, 2019, 1:47 am
adr6090 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 1:16 pm Well you should get some sleep than since it is a later time for you. I will patiently await your final pl. :wink:
everything is perfectly corrected and PL ok now, April. Thank you :)

Sonia
April
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Leni
=================
Hypatia

Post by Hypatia »

Kitty wrote: January 8th, 2019, 2:25 am
Hypatia wrote: January 7th, 2019, 4:12 pm Here is section 123:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_123_tappan_128kb.mp3 (12:00)
thank you for this interesting lesson marriage politics, Hypatia. :thumbs: Beautifully narrated and flawlessly read. Kudos on the excellent job with those many Spanish and Portuguese names. :clap: It was nice to listen to.

After the final sentence, that Catherine would be too young for the King, out of curiosity, I checked the ages of these people. Indeed, while Philippa and John were only 3 years apart, Catherine was 13 years younger than her sister. She would have been only in her early teens at that time. So I guess his choice was a reasonable one.

PL ok, of course. Well done.

Sonia
Thanks Sonia. I was more concerned about the army of carpenters and servants they needed to try to impress each other with more luxury every day! It was interesting to see the diplomatic proceedings, and the war alliance sealed by the marriage. Of course, the daughters had no say in the matter.

Hypatia
Hypatia

Post by Hypatia »

Here is section 124:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_124_tappan_128kb.mp3 (9:19)

I'm not sure I like Froissart's stilted language (or at least the translation of it).

Regards,
Hypatia
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Leni
=================
Hypatia

Post by Hypatia »

Hi Sonia,

Can I please claim sections 94 and 113?

Regards,
Hypatia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Leni and Hypatia, thank you for your sections. Will PL them some time soon this morning !
Hypatia wrote: January 8th, 2019, 7:26 pm Can I please claim sections 94 and 113?
of course, thank you :9: they're reserved for you now.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Leni, two excellent sections again. Wow that must have been so adventurous (and scary) to sail away into unknown waters and not finding a coast for days. :shock: I always thought the Portuguese had sailed totally near the coast, always land in sight, and so mapped the outline of Africa. But now I learn they were drifted off to open sea quite far and didn't see any land. :? Brave men !

The legend of Prester John was unknown to me so far. Interesting. I wonder how this story was born. :hmm:

Both sections PL ok. Wonderful job.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hypatia wrote: January 8th, 2019, 5:50 pm Here is section 124:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_124_tappan_128kb.mp3 (9:19)
I'm not sure I like Froissart's stilted language (or at least the translation of it).
and I also checked your section, Hypatia, and it's also PL ok. Yes, Froissart is THE chronicler in France at that period. I think his French style was also not so easy to understand :lol: I remember we read some excerpts of his chronicle in the French course in High School. Back then I couldn't appreciate him as much as I probably would nowadays.

Thanks !

Sonia
Adamsantoni

Post by Adamsantoni »