[COMPLETE]A Multilingual Rubaiyat - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

To keep this project moving I have allocated Section 7 (Rubaiyat - Fourth Edition) to myself.

It now looks that you will have one more section to PL, Sonia.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Kitty »

Algy Pug wrote: November 4th, 2018, 11:33 pm To keep this project moving I have allocated Section 7 (Rubaiyat - Fourth Edition) to myself.
It now looks that you will have one more section to PL, Sonia.
ok, thanks for the warning :mrgreen:

that means we can move to readers found...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Algy Pug wrote: November 4th, 2018, 2:40 pm I have prepared a cover image for this project.
ah, good you told me, I will preclaim it for you then !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChristianeJehanne wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 4:55 am Voici ma Section, numéro 11.
28' 41''.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/multilingualrubaiyat_11_various_128kb.mp3
et c'est fait, je l'ai écouté et ta lecture est parfaite de nouveau :clap: Bientôt je connais les sections par coeur :lol: écoutant le même poème en une multitude de langues dans quelques jours, c'est hallucinant.

PL ok.

merci Christiane !

Sonia
ChristianeJehanne

Post by ChristianeJehanne »

Bonjour chère Sonia, :)
Oui, ce doit être en même temps intéressant de comprendre les subtilités des traductions, surtout pour un poème, ce n’est pas évident.
Et la traduction, moderne, que nous ne pouvons pas enregistrer bien sûr, est encore très différente.
Les interprétations sont aussi multiples... Vin spirituel ou hédonisme...
C’est un joli texte, j’ai vraiment été ravie, et je te remercie beaucoup de m’avoir fait confiance.

Bonne journée !
Bien amicalement, :D
Christiane Jehanne.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Kitty »

and one final Rubaiyat PL :) thank you, Algy, this was a highly entertaining version. I loved all the voices you're doing here for the several pots and boisterous tavern crowd :thumbs: quite a lively interepretation.

And all is perfectly PL ok.

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello, Rubaiyat lovers,

Algy suggested to me to try to find the translation of Fitzgerald's English edition by Osip Rumer (into Russian), and the best I was able to find was http://www.khayyam.nev.ru/fitzjer_.shtml , which is obviously a result of some kind of OCR with additional work done, and no information on the edition used as the source. Sorry, I don't think I'll be able to locate the source. I did come across a site (possibly stale) that was offering a hard copy of the book (published in 1922 in Moscow) for around 4000 rubles. As far as Rumer's works are concerned, it is of less interest, I am afraid, than his later works (published, say, in 1959) in which he actually translated Khayyam from the original (instead of from English). I've seen publications online based on later editions (like 1978 or 1986, for instance), the public-domainness of which I am not prepared to discuss.

Let me know if there is anything else I can attempt.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Thank you for your research, Tovarisch.

It appears that none of the three translations are from the First edition of Fitzgerald, which contains only 75 quatrains.

Yes, indeed - $60 seems a lot for an old book that few people might want to read.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Algy,
The link to the Italian text on the magic window is not working (at least is not opening on my computer :( ) and I am worried to read a text which could be not the correct one.
In case con you send me again the link to the correct translation (as you did in a previous message indicating different possible Italian translators)?
Thanks a lot, Pier
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I have just uploaded my recording of the Greek translation at https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/multilingualrubaiyat_12_various_128kb.mp3 with a duration of 29:07

Thank you!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Iunta4Ios wrote: November 14th, 2018, 4:45 am Algy,
The link to the Italian text on the magic window is not working (at least is not opening on my computer :( ) and I am worried to read a text which could be not the correct one.
In case con you send me again the link to the correct translation (as you did in a previous message indicating different possible Italian translators)?
Thanks a lot, Pier

Hi Pier

Please try this link:
http://www.superzeko.net/progetto_omarkhayyam/EFitzGeraldIRubaiyatDiOmarKhayyamTradFulviaFaruffini.pdf

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Perfect Algy, :D
Thanks!
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

One more question:
Shall I read the number of the paragraphs like " Uno, due" or rather "primo, secondo..."? :hmm:
Pier
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Iunta4Ios wrote: November 14th, 2018, 8:02 am One more question:
Shall I read the number of the paragraphs like " Uno, due" or rather "primo, secondo..."? :hmm:
Pier
I think that reading the ordinal numbers (uno, due, tre etc) would be more in keeping with what other readers have done in this project.

In any case, Fitzgerald's numbers don't relate to any sequences in the original Persian.

I look forward to hearing your reading.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page