[COMPLETE] Multilingual Christmas Carol Collection 2018 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

WiltedScribe wrote: December 16th, 2018, 9:03 pm No, I don't mind changing the sources. :) I was basing them off past collections, but the ones you found are definitely safer bets!
Thank you, Tomas!
I guess I'm just super cautious about having a definitely PD source link, even when I know the song itself is PD.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

alanmapstone wrote: December 17th, 2018, 2:34 am Hi Maria

Thanks for organising this project. It introduced me to the Cecil Sharp collection of English Folk Carols, some of which come from home county of Gloucestershire. I find these fascinating as they show a mixture of old rural superstition with more conventional christian belief. Some of the things people believed in olden times are really quite odd.
Old songs can be so revealing, can't they! My dad was a folk music aficionado, so we've had odd folk records kicking around this house since I was a kid, and there are always new discoveries of songs we've never heard before! I found all three of your carol choices intriguing, very glad you introduced them to this collection. :thumbs:
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Hello! I am ready to upload! Just making sure I have all the sources I need...
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Twinkle88 wrote: December 17th, 2018, 2:47 pm Hello! I am ready to upload! Just making sure I have all the sources I need...
Okay! I'm just off to the kitchen to get my supper. I'll check in again in about a half-hour, and we can touch base then on any last-minute details! I'm so looking forward to hearing the choir!
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

And here it is! We had 55 singers, 1 speaker (she read the lyrics), and 1 guitarist.

"Silent Night" Group Song
Languages: German and English
Source (German): http://www.free-scores.com/PDF_EN/gruber-franz-xaver-stille-nacht.pdf
Source (English): http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/silent_night_holy_night-1.htm
Music: Franz Xavier Gruber (1786-1863)
Words: Joseph Mohr (1792-1848)
English Translation: John Freeman Young (1859)
Duration: 3:44
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_silentnight_lib_128kbps.mp3

I'm unsure if the guitar accompaniment is okay to use.

The guitar was played by LibriVox volunteer HannahMB. She used a music book (not PD) to know what chords to play. I'm not the best at reading music, but I think perhaps the guitar sheet music used in the Carol Collection for 2012 (linked above as the German source) matches what she played? She matched her guitar playing to the key of our recordings, and improvised the guitar-picking... but the chords came from a non-PD book. I'll throw out the guitar accompaniment if you need me to.

EDIT: Here's a list of contributors:

2839reader
adr6090
Algy Pug
amitsharma
ArleneJoyce
barbara2
benderca
brianna
Carol333
ChristianeJehanne
ClaudiaSterngucker
commonsparrow3
coenders
DeRamos
ductapeguy
Ealswythe
Elizabby
ellies
EmmaHatton
ezwa
Falassewen
fiddlesticks
gibhere2
GillH
GilmoreDon
HannahMB
JayKitty76
johnb2
johng
jyro
Kaffen
Lmnei
marham63
martinw
McScotty
mightyfelix
moniaqua
mpcarlisle
opheliad
padraigo
Patrick79
Pauline C
Peter Why
PetitPoiSon
phileasfogg
RajVo
rieyrules
robinlamb
sacciotto
schrm
Sciguyvoice
SpiderScientist
stoogeswoman
Treefairy
tux753
Twinkle88
WiltedScribe
Last edited by Twinkle88 on December 17th, 2018, 3:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Is the MP3 really 64kb as is noted in the file name?

I think using chords from a non-PD book is OK, because chords on a guitar aren't really proprietary. It's not like a set of notes on a music score; it's just D, Fsharp, Aminor, etc. And if she matched the key you used, she really didn't use the published chords anyway.

So I'm OK with guitar, from the view of the MC. :) I haven't listened to see if it detracts or adds or is neutral to the recording.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

TriciaG wrote: December 17th, 2018, 3:18 pm Is the MP3 really 64kb as is noted in the file name?
Apologies. No, it is not. :lol: I will fix that.
TriciaG wrote: December 17th, 2018, 3:18 pmI think using chords from a non-PD book is OK, because chords on a guitar aren't really proprietary. It's not like a set of notes on a music score; it's just D, Fsharp, Aminor, etc. And if she matched the key you used, she really didn't use the published chords anyway.

So I'm OK with guitar, from the view of the MC. :) I haven't listened to see if it detracts or adds or is neutral to the recording.
PHEW!!! What a relief!!! :D
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Wow! I'm back, and I will now get busy entering all those names in the MW and PL-ing the file!
Looks like Tricia has already answered the question about the guitar accompaniment, so -- Thanks, Tricia!
Okay, I'm off to start entering names. Be patient, this may take awhile!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No rush from my end. :) Supper's soon, then we will be doing the church treasurer stuff, so I've got at least a couple hours before I can start cataloging. :)
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Okay, MW should be up-to-date with all 57 names!
And I've just listened to the choir 3 times! Once as PL'er, and then two more times just for the sheer pleasure of listening!
Twinkle, you have done a marvelous job! The blending of the voices is beautiful, just as though everyone had been singing in the same time and place together!
What a lot of work this must have been! Thank you so much for this very special contribution to this year's collection!
:clap: :9: :D

Oh, and by the way, in case I didn't make it obvious, this section is PL OK!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Tricia, some clarification as to what ought to go into the meta data in the MW:
"Silent Night" Group Song
Languages: German and English
Source (German): http://www.free-scores.com/PDF_EN/gruber-franz-xaver-stille-nacht.pdf
Source (English): http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/silent_night_holy_night-1.htm
Music: Franz Xavier Gruber (1786-1863)
Words: Joseph Mohr (1792-1848)
English Translation: John Freeman Young (1859)
There are two different sources, and I can only put one in the MW. Also two languages, and again only room for one. Since 3/4 of the singing is in English, I went with English language and source. Is that okay?

Also,there are two different authors for the words, plus a composer. To complicate the decision, I see that the composer Franz Gruber has been the credit used when this carol was sung in 3 previous collections, and Joseph Mohr has been credited with it in 3 other collections. I entered Mohr here. Should I have gone with Gruber or Young instead?
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

And ... here's the updated summary for the catalog. (Fingers crossed that I got all the formatting right!)
<br />LibriVox volunteers bring you a festive selection of 21 Christmas carols for the 2018 holiday. This year's collection includes traditional favorites and lesser-known selections in English, Dutch, French, Greek, Scottish Gaelic, and German. The singers wish all listeners around the world a happy and peaceful Christmas and New Year.<br /><br />
<em>Avent</em>; words traditional French; music by Ezwa.<br />
<em>The Bitter Withy</em>; words and music traditional.<br />
<em>Ça Bergers</em>; words traditional French; music by Ezwa.< br />
<em>The Cherry Tree</em>; words and music traditional.<br />
<em>Coventry Carol</em>; words and music traditional.<br />
<em>Χριστός Γεννάται Δοξάσατε (Christos Gennatai)</em>; words by Cosmas of Maiuma (d. 794); music by William J. Kirkpatrick (1838-1921).<br />
<em>Constant Christmas</em>; words by Phillips Brooks (1835-1893); music by Timothy R. Matthews (1826–1910).<br />
<em>The First Noel</em>; words and music traditional.<br />
<em>De Herdertjes Lagen Bij Nachte</em>; words and music by Joseph Alberdingk Thijm (1820-1889).<br />
<em>De Vos Ravissantes Voix</em>; words traditional French; music by Ezwa.< br />
<em>In the Bleak Midwinter</em>; words by Christina Rossetti (1830-1894); music by Gustav Holst (1874-1934).<br />
<em>King Herod and the Cock</em>; words and music traditional.<br />
<em>Leanabh An Aigh</em>; words by Mary M MacDonald (1789–1872); music traditional.<br />
<em>Many Hundred Years Ago</em>; words by Bernard Reynolds (b. 1850); music by George Currie Martin (1865-1937).<br />
<em>Noel</em>; words traditional French; music by Ezwa.<br />
<em>O Come, O Come Emmanuael</em>; words traditional Latin, English translation by John Mason Neale (1818-1866); music traditional.<br />
<em>See Amid the Winter Snow</em>; words by John Goss (1800-1880); music by Romano.<br />
<em>Silent Night</em>; words in German by Joseph Mohr (1792-1848); English translation by John F. Young (1820-1885); music by Franz Xaver Gruber.<br />
<em>Sois Bénis</em>; words traditional French; music by Ezwa.< br />
<em>There's a Song in the Air</em>; words by Josiah Gilbert Holland (1819-1881); tune by Karl P. Harrington (1861-1953).<br />
<em>Auld Lang Syne</em>; words by Robert Burns (1759-1796); music traditional.<br /><br />
Note: The <em>Silent Night</em> chorus consists of 57 LibriVox singers, organized and edited by Twinkle88.< br /><br />
I have to go to a group meeting at my church from 7:30 to 9:30. I'll check in when I get back. If I've messed up the formatting of the summary, or need to change anything in the MW for Silent Night, I'll take care of it then. (I have the cover ready to go, except for the final running time.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We can put it in as Multilingual. :)

I think it's fine to put Mohr as the main author. We can put the rest of the info in the summary, including the link to the German text.

I'll work on cataloging this, and will play with adding the info to the summary.

One other thing: the validator and Archive will sort these by file name. If we want Auld Lang Syne at the end, we'll have to change its name to force it into the end position. Right now it sorts to the very top! :lol: I'll rename it zauldlangsyne in the file name. :roll:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Or wait. I'm going to hold off until you get back from your meeting.

I think you had the carols in order by title, excluding the leading article. (At least, that's the order your description is in. I didn't look before I started moving things around.) Do you want me to use that order by removing the leading article in the file names? Or is the order that they're in right now in the MW okay (assuming I rearrange your description list to match)?

Picture preview of catalog description:
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thank you for helping get this sorted out, Tricia.

Yes, we did want to put Auld Lang Syne last in the order. If you can make that happen by putting a z in the file name, that's great!

As to the rest of the carols, I was trying to alphabetize them, but I didn't realize they were sorted by file name. I don't suppose it matters what order the rest of the list ends up in, whatever is easiest for you is fine with me.

I didn't notice that "Multilingual" was one of the language options, either -- I'll go check that out now! (EDITED TO ADD: I see you have already changed it -- Thank you!)

Thank you for making the links to the German and English sources appear clickable in the summary, that is excellent! The "preview" of the summary looks good.