[COMPLETE] The New Republic by William H Mallock - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

I have a bad cold as well. It seems it’s been going around!
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

These are my PL notes for Section 6:

12:52 - "scarcely" - For the reasons stated above.
13:09 - "psalms" - This word can be pronounced as [salms], [saums], or [sahms], usually depending on the preference of the speaker and/or where the speaker is from, but the p is always going to be silent.

That's it for this section!

Also, this doesn't qualify, in my opinion, as a PL note, but I just wanted to make you aware of the standard English pronunciation of the names of these two Greek philosophers, for future reference only:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/aristotle
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/plato

Incidentally, if there is ever anything you'd like to ask about or practice via telephone or Skype or FaceTime (with regard to this book or any other), you can always PM me, and I'll be happy to help. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Jeff B.
Foon

Post by Foon »

I've uploaded new versions of sections 4, 5, and 6, with all the pronunciation changes you mentioned :)
I'm not 100% happy with the patches. I tried my best, but I couldn't really get my voice to match as I wanted it to :hmm: Let me know what you think?

The next chapter is recorded as well, I just need to edit it. EDIT: Section 7 is now uploaded :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Awesome! I will do all over the course of the weekend...
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Foon,

I just finished listening to the corrections for Section 5. Actually you're voice sounds much the same to me. The only thing that is making the corrections noticeable is the additional background noise or "hiss." Do you have the capability to do a spectral subtraction for only those parts that you spliced in, in order to get rid of the background noise? If you do that, then I think the corrections would become almost unnoticeable. (The only exception is a noticeable beeping sound after the word "heretics" which could be easily silenced.) If your software isn't able to isolate the corrections for spectral subtraction, then I could give it a try on my end and see if I can make it sound a little better. What do you think?

[I marked sections 4 and 6 as PL OK, as they did not seem to have this particular problem, and least not noticeably. I wonder what was causing the background noise when you were recording the corrections for section 5? :hmm: ]
Foon

Post by Foon »

Oh, I must have forgotten to noise clean those lines then! I tend to get some background noise from computer fans, but cleaning fixes it well. I should be able to get it out, will try tomorrow! And I'll have a listen to that beeping sound you mentioned!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Section 7 is totally PL OK. Both instances of the word "ennui" were perfectly pronounced! I'd say that you have totally mastered this word, and your "ennui" problems are now at an end.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Good to know! I had a really full weekend, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I think the issue with the patched line in section 4 might also be that I tried that line some 15 times before I somewhat matched my tone, inflection, talking speed, and all that ... so the meaning of what I was saying may have gotten a bit lost on me :lol: I'll leave section 4 as it is then! I'll try to find some time to fix section 5 tomorrow, and edit section 8 which is already recorded. :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

I've uploaded section 5 again, which the squeaky noise after "heretics" removed (I think that is actually my breathing, which got wonky because I played around with changing the pitch of my voice to make it fit :lol: ) and I tried my best to get rid of the background noise in the patches. I don't hear any anymore, but let me know if you hear differently. :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

I've uploaded the next chapter :)

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Section 5 is now PL OK. I’m currently on a cruise, so I may not be able to PL the new section until the beginning of December (but will listen during the cruise if I can get some quiet time!)
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you!
And no worries, take your time. :) Have fun on your cruise!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Jeff,
I've uploaded the next section (9).

How's the cruise? :D

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

I'm back in town, so I should PL these within the next day or two... thanks!

Jeff B.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Sounds good! Welcome back :D I have another chapter recorded as well, I just need to find some time for editing... National holiday coming up this weekend, and I got a lot of prep work to do!

Readers needed: