[COMPLETE] The New Republic by William H Mallock - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

I've finally worked through my editing backlog and uploaded the last two sections! Now on to fixing the PL notes :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Foon wrote: January 10th, 2019, 3:32 am I somehow get this sharp breath on the /t/, which sounds like a "ch". I'm going to try saying it without making that sound, or otherwise, I might try to edit out the "ch" sound.
Foon, I’d suggest that in the instance of words like bit/wit/fit, you employ a common American pronunciation and not voice the ‘t’ at all. Instead, try to create a voiceless stop by placing the tip of your tongue firmly on the hard palate just behind your front teeth. It sounds like you’re already doing that when you prounce “that,” but maybe you’re more tempted to voice the ‘t’ in “bit” because it comes at the end of the phrase. I’d avoid that in those instances where you tend to aspirate the final consonant. Instead, try to end the sentence with the occlusion, without any release of air, i.e. [that” bit”].
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: January 10th, 2019, 6:43 am
Foon wrote: January 10th, 2019, 3:32 am I somehow get this sharp breath on the /t/, which sounds like a "ch". I'm going to try saying it without making that sound, or otherwise, I might try to edit out the "ch" sound.
Foon, I’d suggest that in the instance of words like bit/wit/fit, you employ a common American pronunciation and not voice the ‘t’ at all. Instead, try to create a voiceless stop by placing the tip of your tongue firmly on the hard palate just behind your front teeth. It sounds like you’re already doing that when you prounce “that,” but maybe you’re more tempted to voice the ‘t’ in “bit” because it comes at the end of the phrase. I’d avoid that in those instances where you tend to aspirate the final consonant. Instead, try to end the sentence with the occlusion, without any release of air, i.e. [that” bit”].
Thanks, that's helpful! I hope to get at least some of the PL notes fixed today :) EDIT: Ok, not today :( Hopefully tomorrow!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: December 5th, 2018, 3:08 pm Section 8:

Only one correction. At 16:12, you pronounce "snobbish" with an [sh] sound at the beginning (sounds like 'shnobbish.')
PL note addressed and uploaded, ready for spot PL!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: December 8th, 2018, 8:38 am PL notes for Section 9:

24:34 - "soliloquy" - You mispronounced the "qu" as a hard [k] sound.
25:42 - Repeated "the facts of the life about us" twice (I think you probably meant to delete the first one)
27:50 - "compassed about" - The stress in the word "compassed" should be on the first syllable.
28:08 - "scarcely" - For the reasons previously mentioned.
37:18 - "scarcely" - [sigh...…]
PL notes addressed and uploaded, ready for spot PL!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: December 23rd, 2018, 6:21 pm PL notes for Section 10:

10:35 - 10:37: There is a pause of about two seconds with a banging noise in the background. This could probably be deleted.

12:20: It sounds like the word "Nay" got partially cut off or skipped.

18:46: "bewilders" - The 'i' in this word should be pronounced as a short vowel, like in the word "tilde." It is not a long vowel as in "wild." Please see below:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bewilder

18:55: "bewilderment" - Same as above.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bewilderment
PL notes addressed and uploaded, ready for spot PL!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: January 9th, 2019, 8:42 pm PL notes for Section 11:

3:39 – “courteousness” – Although this word is technically derived from the word court, this derivation happened so long ago that the pronunciation has had plenty of time to change, and the word no longer sounds anything like court. Also, just to keep things complicated, for some unknown reason, elision does not occur in this word as it does in almost every other English word with a consonant/vowel combination like ‘teous’ (e.g., righteous). So, the bottom line is, this is a four-syllable word with no elision, which gets pronounced [KUR-tee-uhs-nes].
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/courteous

8:39 – “unleavened” – This three-syllable word consists only of short vowels. There is no long vowel sound as is found in the verb to leave. The reason why leaven sounds nothing like leave is because the verb to leave is derived from Old English (leafe/laefan), whereas the verb to leaven actually comes from Latin (levare/levamen).
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/unleavened

9:46 – “Filioque” – This ecclesiastical Latin word is a proper noun, and therefore keeps its ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation whenever it appears in written English; which is to say, it’s pronunciation has nothing in common with French-derived words such as toque and baroque. The syllables are all long vowels of equal duration, and the stress should be on the penultimate syllable. [fee-lee-OH-kwey]
(I’m actually an Orthodox Deacon and studied theology, so I will claim special expertise on this one! :) )

22:42 – "compass" – As stated above.

22:48 – "compassing" – As stated above.

29:14 – “hymns” – The ‘n’ in this word is silent, so hymn is pronounced just like the adjective him, and the plural, hymns, should be pronounces [himz]. You pronounced it with what sounds to me like an ‘n’ sound at the end, which I'm hearing as [hinz]. This may not seem like a big deal, but even after listening 10+ times, I still could not understand what you were saying until I found the word in the text. Adding, perhaps, to the confusion is the fact that the word hymn is no longer used as a verb in modern English; so, this one really needs to be pronounced precisely in order to be understood.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hymn

41:19 – "that bit" – The text reads "that bit," but you read "That bitch!!" Sorry! I listened many, many times, and then let my wife listen, and all here are in agreement. If you don't believe me, just listen for yourself! :D

Aaaaand the last ones, also edited and uploaded! (I figured I'd post your notes again, that might save you some digging through the thread.)

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Foon, for Section 8, you patched from 16:00 to 16:15, and you fixed the pronunciation, but it seems like you forgot to do the noise reduction on this part, so there is a hissing noise in the background. Did you want to fix that? It's not terribly loud or distracting, so its PL OK as is, but I thought maybe you wanted to do this and just forgot.
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Section 9 is PL OK.
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

In Section 10, you forgot to fix the word "Nay," which is now at 12:19. I think you will just have to erase the partial word at this location, and re-record the word "Nay" there. Also, you may want to do noise reduction in the two places where you patched the words bewilders and bewilderment (again, I'd say the noise reduction is optional, because the hiss is noticeable but not distracting). The pronunciation is now correct!
Last edited by hdcn on January 12th, 2019, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Section 11 is now PL OK... even that" bit" at the end!
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: January 12th, 2019, 5:14 pm Foon, for Section 8, you patched from 16:00 to 16:15, and you fixed the pronunciation, but it seems like you forgot to do the noise reduction on this part, so there is a hissing noise in the background. Did you want to fix that? It's not terribly loud or distracting, so its PL OK as is, but I thought maybe you wanted to do this and just forgot.
hdcn wrote: January 12th, 2019, 5:25 pm In Section 10, you forgot to fix the word "Nay," which is now at 12:19. I think you will just have to erase the partial word at this location, and re-record the word "Nay" there. Also, you may want to do noise reduction in the two places where you patched the words bewilders and bewilderment (again, I'd say the noise reduction is optional, because the hiss is noticeable but not distracting). The pronunciation is now correct!
Yes, sounds like I indeed forgot to do noise cleaning on it! :oops: I will edit that.
About the "Nay", I may have replaced the wrong occurrence (because I did record a new "nay" and thought I pasted it in) or forgotten to replace it altogether. :roll: I'll check it out tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: January 12th, 2019, 5:14 pm Foon, for Section 8, you patched from 16:00 to 16:15, and you fixed the pronunciation, but it seems like you forgot to do the noise reduction on this part, so there is a hissing noise in the background. Did you want to fix that? It's not terribly loud or distracting, so its PL OK as is, but I thought maybe you wanted to do this and just forgot.
I've had a chance to actually listen to it, and I don't hear the noise, nor can I find it in the track.. My voice does sound a bit different, so that makes it noticeable as a patch, but I simply can't emulate all the circumstances of the original recording... Since you said it could be PL OK as is, and I can't think of what I can do to fix it, can we leave this one? :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: January 12th, 2019, 5:25 pm In Section 10, you forgot to fix the word "Nay," which is now at 12:19. I think you will just have to erase the partial word at this location, and re-record the word "Nay" there. Also, you may want to do noise reduction in the two places where you patched the words bewilders and bewilderment (again, I'd say the noise reduction is optional, because the hiss is noticeable but not distracting). The pronunciation is now correct!
Same as above for the noise cleaning, I can't find it and don't know how to fix it if I don't know what I'm fixing :hmm:
But I did replace the "Nay" (I really do wonder what happened to the patch I did before, I'm a bit worried that I replaced a random other word with my new "Nay", as I distinctly remember patching it! :oops: )

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

I have marked those two sections as PL OK. I don't recall hearing any extraneous Nays, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Maybe the original correction just didn't get saved for some reason. I think I probably would have caught an extraneous word if it were there. Here are my suggested corrections for Section 12:

15:24 – azure – This word has a somewhat irregular pronunciation compared to how it is written, and it is always stressed on the first syllable. It is essentially pronounced [ˈă-zhər]. You can listen at this link:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/azure

23:39 – suavely – The ‘a’ in this word is pronounced as a long, open vowel (ah), like in the word father.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suavely

46:01 – remonstrance – This word should be stressed on the second syllable, with the ‘o’ again taking the pronunciation of the long, open ‘a’ sound in father. (Note: There are a number of three-syllable words where the stress gets shifted to the initial syllable in British English, but I’ve never heard this particular word pronounced that way. I spent a good deal of time looking online for alternate regional pronunciations, but I could find none. Please let me know if you’re aware of a variation, because it’s possible that it could exist somewhere.)
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/remonstrance

46:47 – “Damn it!!” – Based on the location in the recording, I think this may have been “scarcely”-related... :lol: