[COMPLETE][Group/humorous essays] Hints to Pilgrims by Charles S. Brooks - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Announcement: As I haven't heard back from new reader nidhivox336 (my PM was not opened) and no test was made since the day the section was claimed, I will re-open Section 16 again for another interested reader. :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is Section 10.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/hintstopilgrims_10_brooks_128kb.mp3

length 22:14

Thanks, Todd

(Hope we can find more of his books!!)
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

I'd be happy to pick up Section 16.
Anita
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Anitazz wrote: October 15th, 2019, 9:16 am I'd be happy to pick up Section 16.
thank you, Anita :9: that sends us back to Readers Found !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: October 15th, 2019, 7:39 am Here is Section 10.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/hintstopilgrims_10_brooks_128kb.mp3
Todd !! Mercy, pleeeeaaaase !!! :lol: My belly is hurting after this performance. I was literally rolling on the couch here laughing, couldn't help it. Already I thought the Treasure Island plot with Robinson Crusoe and Oliver Twist was hilarious but then you gave me the coup de grace with this final paragraph. (those car noises !!!!) I couldn't hold it together anymore. This was sooooo funny. :lol: I am so happy that you read this chapter, because you seem to have been predestined for it. It actually reminds me a bit of the narrator in the frightful comedies, his style is extremely similar here in this chapter. Loved it !

I defy anyone to listen to this till the end without laughing.

Oh and PL ok, now that I can breathe again normally. :mrgreen:
(Hope we can find more of his books!!)
There are still two more essay compilations in Gutenberg and I found a third on archive.org and I also found a novel ! After this success we should definitely launch those as well. :9:

Thank you so much for this exquisite comedy performance.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Glad you liked that. It was fun to read.

Maybe, after that, I should go read some Pinero. Or some Moliere. ennie meanie.... (Pinero won - In Chancery - wherein I commit trigonometry with three women!)

Thanks, Todd
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Anitazz wrote: October 19th, 2019, 9:17 am Ok! I've uploaded chapter 16:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/hintstopilgrims_16_brooks_128kb.mp3 (10:54)
thank you so much Anita :) looking forward to this, but I have quite some backlog PL jobs right now, so not sure if I can manage this weekend still.

Sonia
sunnygoswami

Post by sunnygoswami »

Hi Sonia,

I have recorded Chapter 7. Please find link below:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/hintstopilgrims_07_brooks_128kb.mp3
Duration: 6;24.

I hope it is ok but if not please feel free to tell me to re-record. I have dared to record in day time so not sure of the technical quality. And I am finding that I breathe while reading which is a problem. Do you have any tips/guidance/books/tutorials to suggest on how to improve on that? I would prefer to continue to breathe just don't want it in the recording. :)

Kind regards,
Sunny
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Anita this was a brilliant chapter again and so engagingly narrated. I had a smile all throughout listening. :9: And I was imagining myself on this curb, throwing off inhibitions and joining the fun. The author is right, we should hold back less and be more ourselves. It's a good moral.

Thank you for another PL ok section !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sunnygoswami wrote: October 20th, 2019, 6:09 amI have recorded Chapter 7. Please find link below:

I hope it is ok but if not please feel free to tell me to re-record. I have dared to record in day time so not sure of the technical quality. And I am finding that I breathe while reading which is a problem. Do you have any tips/guidance/books/tutorials to suggest on how to improve on that? I would prefer to continue to breathe just don't want it in the recording. :)
Sunny, this was a fast turn-around, thank you so much. 8-) As for background noise, yes I heard a bit here and there, but it is not too disturbing and most importantly it doesn't mar your voice and everything is still clearly understandable. So in my opinion you can continue to dare record in the daytime. :mrgreen:

About breathing, yes please continue doing that :lol: otherwise your recording time will be short-lived ;) Only robots don't breathe, so it's a good sign for a listener to hear some breaths in between sentences. I understand what you mean though, you think some breaths are too loud maybe ? Well I didn't hear anything too annoying, but if you listen back to your recording and you find that one particular breath is just too loud for comfort, you cann zoom in (you use Audacity, right ?) and you can highlight that one breath and decrease the volume by -10 dB, then you can still hear the breathing but it's not loud at all. I do that in my recordings when some parts are too loud. It takes a bit of careful fiddling but it gets the job done and the outcome is quite nice. :)

What you could do as well is slow down a bit on your reading, you are quite fast ;) If you read a bit slower and leave more space between the sentences, then you have time to take an intake of breath before continuing to read. Even if that intake is very loud, you could later on cut it out completely, and there is still space between the sentences so you don't rush through the text. But cutting out breath entirely is not as good an idea as decreasing the volume a bit on them. Because then you will still sound human :mrgreen:

So bottom line: the text is flawlessly narrated, I enjoyed it very much. I'll definitely mark it PL ok. Thank you so much.

Sonia
sunnygoswami

Post by sunnygoswami »

Kitty wrote: October 20th, 2019, 6:53 am
sunnygoswami wrote: October 20th, 2019, 6:09 amI have recorded Chapter 7. Please find link below:

Sunny, this was a fast turn-around, thank you so much. 8-) As for background noise, yes I heard a bit here and there, but it is not too disturbing and most importantly it doesn't mar your voice and everything is still clearly understandable. So in my opinion you can continue to dare record in the daytime. :mrgreen:

About breathing, yes please continue doing that :lol: otherwise your recording time will be short-lived ;) Only robots don't breathe, so it's a good sign for a listener to hear some breaths in between sentences. I understand what you mean though, you think some breaths are too loud maybe ? Well I didn't hear anything too annoying, but if you listen back to your recording and you find that one particular breath is just too loud for comfort, you cann zoom in (you use Audacity, right ?) and you can highlight that one breath and decrease the volume by -10 dB, then you can still hear the breathing but it's not loud at all. I do that in my recordings when some parts are too loud. It takes a bit of careful fiddling but it gets the job done and the outcome is quite nice. :)

What you could do as well is slow down a bit on your reading, you are quite fast ;) If you read a bit slower and leave more space between the sentences, then you have time to take an intake of breath before continuing to read. Even if that intake is very loud, you could later on cut it out completely, and there is still space between the sentences so you don't rush through the text. But cutting out breath entirely is not as good an idea as decreasing the volume a bit on them. Because then you will still sound human :mrgreen:

So bottom line: the text is flawlessly narrated, I enjoyed it very much. I'll definitely mark it PL ok. Thank you so much.

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I am glad it worked because it gives me more flexibility in recording time. Where I lived before I had to wait for late night to record and try to hit that sweet spot before feeling too tired to record.

That's great advice about breathing noises, thank you for that. I had cut out all breathing noises from this chapter before uploading but I feel that that makes it sound a bit rushed and unnatural because, as you say, it won't sound human. I will work on reducing the volume in the future, that does sound the best balance between the two.

Sorry about the speed, I am working on it. I don't know why I am finding it so hard to slow down. I will keep trying and maybe in the next 3-4 recordings I may succeed in hitting a more comfortable pace.

I am glad this project is going well. I will keep an eye out in case anything gets orphaned and try to chip in.

Hope to work with you more soon.

Kind regards,
Sunny
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sunnygoswami wrote: October 20th, 2019, 7:24 amSorry about the speed, I am working on it. I don't know why I am finding it so hard to slow down. I will keep trying and maybe in the next 3-4 recordings I may succeed in hitting a more comfortable pace.
it's ok, and you know, "speed" is very relative for everybody, it's a temperament thing. And just because I feel a section is a bit rushed, many other listeners may just like this exact pacing and those will think that my own readings are wayyyy tooooo slooow :lol: You can never please them all, so the best course is to read as you feel comfortable. Of course slowing a bit down is always a good thing, also for your breathing ;)
I am glad this project is going well. I will keep an eye out in case anything gets orphaned and try to chip in.
we are only waiting for one last section, and I hope I hear back from the reader soon. But the good news it, I detected more essay books by this writer, so I will launch the next one soon :mrgreen: I'll post the link here, so stay bookmarked, then you get notified

Sonia
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

Kitty wrote: October 20th, 2019, 6:42 am
Anita this was a brilliant chapter again and so engagingly narrated. I had a smile all throughout listening. :9: And I was imagining myself on this curb, throwing off inhibitions and joining the fun. The author is right, we should hold back less and be more ourselves. It's a good moral.

Thank you for another PL ok section !

Sonia
===================================
Truly, my pleasure! What a fun author!
Anita
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Announcement: as I haven't heard back from the initial claimant, I am orphaning Section 3 again. It's the last section to record, so grab it while it's hot :mrgreen:

Sonia