Post by tovarisch »

Section 4 is ready for PL.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tovarisch wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 7:58 amSection 3 is ready for PL.
:shock: you are fast ! Already two chapters recorded. Wow. :9: Thank you so much.

I had a listen to the poor wolf just now. The good news is that you speak very clearly and not too fast for me to follow along. 8-) So I was able to check it all with the text and your narrative is soooo lively and interesting, with the different voices you're doing. Excellent and lovely to listen to.

Didn't find any errors. I see you have included the footnote, that's up to you, if you think it's interesting to include. But it's optional as far as I am concerned.

Section 3 is PL ok. A great start. And since I haven't heard back from the initial DPL, I will put myself in for the job now. This will give me some more listening practice and I love to hear your beautiful language narrated to me, even if I don't understand it all. :9:

Will try to PL Section 4 later on.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Thank you Sonia for your kind words. :)

It has been a very long while since I read Saltykov-Schedrin, and I find this tales very easy to read and quite engaging. I wonder if he's been translated to English...
tovarisch
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tovarisch wrote: February 24th, 2020, 7:03 amI wonder if he's been translated to English...
that would be cool. If I knew the storyline in English first, I would probably even understand more while listening. If you find any source, please let me know.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tovarisch wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 11:28 amSection 4 is ready for PL.
aha, now I learnt a few more words for different kinds of fish. I had to look up the title already. :lol:

What does "фофан" mean ? He mentioned it so often and I didn't find it anywhere. I have the feeling it was an insult, maybe something like "idiot" ?

A great section again, rather philosophical, from what I gather, but I won't pretend to claim that I understood it all. :?

I found a small difference with the text. Now I will mention everything when I find something that is different, I hope that is ok with you. I don't feel confident enough with the vocabulary to decide which is important and which we can "let slip". I rather prefer you check it out and if you think it's not changing the meaning, then you can decide to leave it like that.

> at 8:35: (p. 16) "надо, по малой мере" – I think you say "крайной"

The rest is absolutely fine :)

Thank you, and looking forward to the next story. :9:

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Kitty wrote: February 25th, 2020, 3:13 am What does "фофан" mean ? He mentioned it so often and I didn't find it anywhere. I have the feeling it was an insult, maybe something like "idiot" ?
I think it is less offensive, similar to "simpleton" (see wiktionary, for instance). If it's an insult, it's a very mild one.
Kitty wrote: February 25th, 2020, 3:13 am > at 8:35: (p. 16) "надо, по малой мере" – I think you say "крайной"
Thank you, I'll fix it. There is a slight difference in meaning, and besides, I like to be word-perfect when classics are concerned. I am surprised that I missed it twice (I do prooflisten the entire text while editing).
tovarisch
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tovarisch wrote: February 25th, 2020, 6:49 amI think it is less offensive, similar to "simpleton" (see wiktionary, for instance). If it's an insult, it's a very mild one.
:oops: Now I feel like a фофан myself, I didn't think about looking in the Russian wiktionary, I looked up the English site :lol: thanks, yes I understand глупый
Thank you, I'll fix it. There is a slight difference in meaning, and besides, I like to be word-perfect when classics are concerned.
oh ok, good to know, well I will mention if I find differences and you can decide.
I am surprised that I missed it twice (I do prooflisten the entire text while editing).
yes I do the same, I always check with the text in my first editing phase. But I know that it is hard to find one's own mistakes ;) Happens to me sometimes too. That's why we have a DPL. :mrgreen:

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Section 4 has been re-uploaded, please do a spot-check.

The form "по малой мере" is not common in Russian. Mostly the two forms "по меньшей мере" or "по крайней мере" are in use. And the latter is more common than the former, that's probably why I confused the text. To check this assertion I went to Google to look for Ngrams of the three phrases, and got this.
tovarisch
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Section 4 has been re-uploaded, please do a spot-check.
great edit and now PL ok :)
The form "по малой мере" is not common in Russian. Mostly the two forms "по меньшей мере" or "по крайней мере" are in use. And the latter is more common than the former, that's probably why I confused the text.
yes I understand, if it's an unfamiliar expression, it's normal your eyes would simply gloss over and use the word that is more common to you.
To check this assertion I went to Google to look for Ngrams of the three phrases
wow what a cool research tool. Never knew about that. And yes, I can see that this expression is barely non existent in literature :lol: probably a quirk of the author.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Section 6 is ready for PL.
tovarisch
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tovarisch wrote: February 29th, 2020, 4:27 pmSection 6 is ready for PL.
ah another excellently narrated section. And I learnt some new words again. :9: Thank you so much, Victor, this project is progressing so nicely right now. Section 5 (not 6 :wink: ) is PL ok :)

Have a good start in the new week.

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Section 6 (really this time :) ) is ready for PL.
tovarisch
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aha, another Russian section for today. I just PLed one from Mark's project :lol: well, it gives me practice. And this one was really short, I love very short sections, I can concentrate better on those.

This one started very funny. How can anyone be so naive ? :hmm: This is probably a society-critical fable.

Funnily narrated and almost word perfect. I found a small deviation, but I think it doesn't matter much. I let you decide:

> at 4:36: (p. 28) "стали цыдулки посылать" - you say "начали"

Thank you so much, Victor, and wishing you a nice weekend

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Thanks, Sonia. I will fix it tonight. Stay tuned.
tovarisch
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I've uploaded the corrected section 6. Please check.
tovarisch