Section 40-44 are PL OK!
~Tiffany
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

45 and 46 are PL OK!
~Tiffany
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

Hi, I have finished recording, but still need to check levels, and upload.

I've enjoyed it very much, especially as it concerns the part of the country where I live, and which has changed relatively little over the centuries. It is still wild and beautiful, and rich in stories.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Wonderful, Judith. You progressed really nicely at a steady pace once the initial kinks where ironed out. :9:

So this last unused section, can I delete it ?

Now only a few corrections to make to the PL notes and then this is ready to catalogue. Maybe even ready for the March clean-up challenge.

Well done

Sonia
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

Sonia, I have learned so much from you and Tiffany. Thank you for your help.

I am concerned, however, about the quality of my recording. I listened to two sections last night, and was worried by interference caused by the plosives p and b. Covering the mic doesn't seem to have helped. I would like to listen to the whole book and re-record any sections I am unhappy with. Is that possible? I know it's a lot of work for you.

:( Judith
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jhiu wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 1:24 amI am concerned, however, about the quality of my recording. I listened to two sections last night, and was worried by interference caused by the plosives p and b. Covering the mic doesn't seem to have helped.
I find what helps (for me at least) is putting the microphone to the side of my head/mouth, so that I don't blow straight into it, but the air passes alongside it. That got rid of my plosives. Maybe you could try that once

On the other hand, Tiffany didn't flag any major plosives, so maybe you are too harsh and critical with yourself. We often hear things in our own recordings, that other people don't really notice or don't think it's bad.
I would like to listen to the whole book and re-record any sections I am unhappy with. Is that possible? I know it's a lot of work for you.
well it is not a lot of work for me, but Tiffany is the DPL :? so you would have to ask her. Usually it's not encouraged to tinker with sections that are already PL ok, otherwise the projects would never finish. We ask people to listen to their files before they upload and try to amend the things they find bad before the first PL. It's fair to the DPL, who spends a lot of time listening to it all.

If Tiffany doesn't mind and if you find a sentence that you really think is horrible, then I guess we can do it, but I wouldn't really encourage you to be too overcritical and to correct too much anymore. And if you do, make sure you note down every exact time-stamp of every sentence you re-did, so at least Tiffany only needs to do a punctual Spot PL.

But let's wait for her reply first.

Sonia
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

If you really want to I am willing to listen, but honestly I do not think you need to. I thought the quality was great, I Often pl with headphones so I can catch those more subtle background noises/pops etc. And I never heard anything bad enough for me to even think about pointing out.

As Sonia said, I would focus more on improvoing future projects. I have never heard of anyone who is really satisfied with thier first solo, and if you are anything like me by the time you fix half the pops you will find half a dozen other little things you want to chang and I think that would actually make the quality of the recording go down.

But whatever you decide I will be happy to help :thumbs:
~Tiffany
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

fiddlesticks wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 5:22 am by the time you fix half the pops you will find half a dozen other little things you want to chang and I think that would actually make the quality of the recording go down.
good point too, Tiffany, I forgot about that. She's right, often the re-recorded sentence may be slightly off in sound and volume from the previous recording, so you may even notice more discrepancy in the sound that if you hadn't changed anything.

All these things must be considered. Basically it's a lot of work, and often unnecessary.

Sonia
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

OK, both. Thank you for giving this so much thought. I always listen to my recordings before I submit them, and often do quite a lot of editing of pauses and levels. However, I have just been given a very keen pair of earphones that reveal disagreeable sounds in the recording that I was unable to hear when I listened before. I am going to submit section 50, but the last two really won't do, and I am going to record them again. I am going to check anything I haven't yet uploaded and correct accordingly. You are right about the rest. 'The perfect is the enemy of the good.'
Judith
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/storiesofthescottishborder_48_platt_128kb.mp3

I have listened with the new earphones to everything still to be submitted, and am going to re-record Sections 20, 47, 49, 50, 51 and 52. I will submit these asap.

I have learned a lot about recording: how important it is to record everything in the same place, using the same equipment, to keep one section in hand so that I can standardise my speed and tone by matching the current recording with the previous one, and establishing an fixed position for my mic. I just feel sorry that any listeners will have to bear the brunt of my learning process.

Once again, thanks for your help.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I have just been given a very keen pair of earphones that reveal disagreeable sounds in the recording that I was unable to hear when I listened before
I totally understand this, I also hear sounds with earphones that I don't hear in my normal computer loudspeakers. As a consolation, I think many of our listeners will be listening in the car, so they will probably not notice the noise as much as with earphones ;)
I have learned a lot about recording: how important it is to record everything in the same place, using the same equipment, to keep one section in hand so that I can standardise my speed and tone by matching the current recording with the previous one, and establishing an fixed position for my mic. I just feel sorry that any listeners will have to bear the brunt of my learning process.

I think we all have our "initial" projects that will sound to us dubious when we listen to them after a few years. Luckily I had this learning curve in group projects and not in a solo. I think that's one reason why we recommend to newbies to first practice in group projects ;)

I remember I once listened to my very first poems and drama roles and I thought, :shock: how could they accept that sound ! :lol: Now with a new microphone and with practice in editing I've come a long way. 8-) But I am still proud of my first endeavours and it was part of the process. We all had to crawl and stumble as kids before we run marathons.

Sonia
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/storiesofthescottishborder_51_platt_128kb.mp3

There is no reader name for this section on the Magic Window.