SOLO The Lost Kafoozalum by Pauline Ashwell - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

The Lost Kafoozalum by Pauline Ashwell (1928 - 2015).

This project can now be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-lost-kafoozalum-by-pauline-ashwell/
"Lizzie" Lee and her best friend "B" have just finished their finals in Cultural Engineering at Russett College and are enjoying a well-earned break on a Pacific Island when they are kidnapped by their professor and dragged half-way across the galaxy in an attempt to avert a nuclear war on the backwater planet, Incognita. Accompanied by some of their classmates; their professor and two strangers, they have just days to come up with and implement a solution to avoid millions of deaths. One of the beautiful things about a delusion is that no matter how mad someone gets at it ... he can't do it any harm. Therefore a delusion can be a fine thing for prodding angry belligerents.... ( Nigel Fisher)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30427
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: SgcTwgVI
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Pauline Ashwell) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Ashwell
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 5
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known): 1960
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Nigel Fisher Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Lost Kafoozalum. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Lost Kafoozalum, by Pauline Ashwell. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Lost Kafoozalum by Pauline Ashwell. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Lost Kafoozalum, by Pauline Ashwell. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename lostkafoozalum_##_ashwell_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lostkafoozalum_01_ashwell_128kb.mp3)

Don't need to add ID3 tags.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)

• You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by RufusNight on October 11th, 2018, 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will set this up for you. it looks like a good and funny SF story.!! :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

philchenevert wrote: October 7th, 2018, 2:09 pm I will set this up for you. it looks like a good and funny SF story.!! :thumbs:
Awesome, keen to get started. It is actually just a single novella which I have nominally split into 5 x 20-odd minutes "chapters". I thought I would stick with the chapter naming convention as that seemed to be the rule here and I didn't want to record it as a single 100-minute MP3

Nigel
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RufusNight wrote: October 8th, 2018, 1:57 am
philchenevert wrote: October 7th, 2018, 2:09 pm I will set this up for you. it looks like a good and funny SF story.!! :thumbs:
Awesome, keen to get started. It is actually just a single novella which I have nominally split into 5 x 20-odd minutes "chapters". I thought I would stick with the chapter naming convention as that seemed to be the rule here and I didn't want to record it as a single 100-minute MP3

Nigel
I recommend calling them 'parts' instead of chapters. Chapters implies that the author made the divisions whereas when I split up something into chuncs to make recording easier I call them parts. Not necessary, just something I do.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will set you up as BC (Book Coordinator) later today. As BC you are responsible for updating the MW (Magic Window) and keeping everything spiffy. Let me know if this is your first go as a soloist and therefore your own BC. Have fun and ask if anything is confusing.
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

philchenevert wrote: October 8th, 2018, 6:42 am I will set you up as BC (Book Coordinator) later today. As BC you are responsible for updating the MW (Magic Window) and keeping everything spiffy. Let me know if this is your first go as a soloist and therefore your own BC. Have fun and ask if anything is confusing.
Yes this is my first go so any hints welcome :)

Nigel
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Nigel,
Do you need a DPL? If so, I'm glad to help out.
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

linny wrote: October 8th, 2018, 8:19 am Hi Nigel,
Do you need a DPL? If so, I'm glad to help out.
That would be awesome please linny

Nigel
linny

Post by linny »

Great! I'm looking forward to the project.

Do you know how to get into the MW? I got you started but as Phil said, as soloist you are your own BC.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Here is a video on getting into the magic window.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cDPSmlTjGM&index=13&list=PLD623ECF357234509 It shows basically getting your password (and as a BONUS you get to listen to ME drone on and on.... how cool is that?)
Once you have your password and can talk more about posting stuff there. Let me know. I probably have a video somewhere but can't find it now.
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

philchenevert wrote: October 8th, 2018, 3:38 pm Here is a video on getting into the magic window.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cDPSmlTjGM&index=13&list=PLD623ECF357234509 It shows basically getting your password (and as a BONUS you get to listen to ME drone on and on.... how cool is that?)
Once you have your password and can talk more about posting stuff there. Let me know. I probably have a video somewhere but can't find it now.
Unfortunately I have fallen at the first hurdle and need some help. I put in my user name and blank password; click "Forgot Password" and it returns me to the login with the message "E-mail Sent" but I get no e-mail (and yes, I checked my junk folder). Any thoughts?

*edit* Ahem somehow I had blocked the Librivox domain. Sorted now :oops:

Nigel
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

OK linny, you're up, part 1 and 2 are uploaded...

Nigel
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

And........he's over the first hurdle and hit his pace ...... far ahead of the pack now ..... Yay!!! Good going Nigel. :thumbs:
linny

Post by linny »

Nigel,
I have listened to section 1. Nice stopping point in the story. Certainly leaves the listener hanging.

Notes:
Intro and ending: I thought you had decided to use "part" instead of "chapter". I'm hearing chapter.

Did you noise clean the entire section? There is background in the first 16 minutes. It's not distracting and won't change the PL status if you don't clean it but my ear was relieved when it went away.

I'm enjoying the story and your reading style.
Last edited by linny on October 9th, 2018, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
linny

Post by linny »

Part 2 notes:
Intro / ending use 'chapter' instead of 'part'

1:20 missing text - Be seeing you Lizzie girl, your affectionate Dad
J. X. Lee.
Dear old Dad,