COMPLETE The Phantom Death and Other Stories by William Clark Russell -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

moving us back to readers wanted to see if we can find readers for our orphans!
Carolin
growlands

Post by growlands »

Hi,

Could I please take section 2? If there are no takers over the next week or so, I'd be happy to take section 6 also.

Gareth
growlands

Post by growlands »

Hi,

Just a quick note to any readers out there struggling with some of the poor scanning for these stories. Here's a link to what appears to be a better quality scan of the entire book from The University of Michigan:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015063953932;view=1up;seq=1

Hoping this helps.

Gareth
MorganLeFay

Post by MorganLeFay »

Howdy,

I would love to claim Chapter/Section 6 -- The Major's Commission

Thank you,
Jacqueline
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

growlands wrote: March 31st, 2019, 12:57 pm Hi,

Just a quick note to any readers out there struggling with some of the poor scanning for these stories. Here's a link to what appears to be a better quality scan of the entire book from The University of Michigan:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015063953932;view=1up;seq=1

Hoping this helps.

Gareth
Hi gareth, thanks for that. I didnt inspect each individual page but i looked at a fair amount of scanned pages before setting up the project and i disagree that the scan is poor quality. Apart from the illustrations, there does not seem to be much difference between the two. Please always read from only the text that is linked in the first post of a project thread in order to prevent issues regarding divergent editions and copyright. Thank you!
Carolin
growlands

Post by growlands »

Hi, Carolin,

I'm so sorry for giving the wrong impression in posting the link. In the version I looked at, there were a number of dubious / illegible words, so i was simply looking for corroboration of what they really were and thought others might find it useful.

Speaking of which, I know it's our policy to read "as is" from the text, but if i find an obvious instance of scanning error, is it OK to change it? I can provide some examples if you'd like?

Gareth
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

That depends :) the scans are usually nearly free of errors, as they are basically photographs of carefully typeset books. You might find one or two errors in a whole book, but usually not more. Maybe you looked at the txt version of the text? Thats a computer generated file of letters recognised on the scans, and usually full of errors, to the point of illegibility. Did you look at the latter?
Carolin
growlands

Post by growlands »

Ah, yes, that is exactly what I did, Carolin.

Looking at the original archive.org scan, you're absolutely right, it's a very clean copy. Sorry for the unnecessary linkage!

Gareth
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Section 9 is pl ok! Well done!
Carolin
growlands

Post by growlands »

Hi, all,

Just a quick note to say I haven't forgotten you! I'm hoping that I can knock out the chapter by the end of next week, allergies allowing. (I swear I never used to get allergies in the past.)

Thanks for being patient,

Gareth
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you gareth
Carolin
growlands

Post by growlands »

Finally!

Here's a link to Section 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/phantomdeath_02_russell_128kb.mp3

Length: 36:52

Sincere apologies for the extended delay. Between allergies and colds, Spring has not been pleasant in Chicago this year :(

I'm not completely happy with this recording due to the above; for example, the accent came out a bit rougher than intended for the sea captain. And if anyone can suggest a good mike that's not too expensive to pick up, I'd really appreciate it.

Gareth
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you!

I always recommend the Samson gomic. It is a very small device with good quality, costs like 40 dollars.
Carolin