COMPLETE Studies in Love and in Terror by Marie Lowndes -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Skweeky

Post by Skweeky »

I'll retract my claim on 4 and 5 in that case, always better for consistency! And I won't have to flounder about in my schoolgirl French
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Dear Melissa,
No need whatsoever to have any embarrassment on that minor mistake.
This is a complex piece, we can never entirely correctly edit our own recording, as we cannot with our own writing and besides, if we were all perfect, there would be no need for DPLs ... and how sad that would make me!
*Smile*
~Angelique
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all :thumbs:
Carolin
FIftikhar123

Post by FIftikhar123 »

Hi,
Here is a link to section 13:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/studies_13_lowndes_128kb.mp3

It is 34 minutes and 51 seconds.

Regards,
Farrah
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello, Farrah!

Thank you so much for your contribution; the long sections are not easy, especially during first recordings, and you did great!

A few technical notes for you:

Volume for this is at 88, which is right in range!

Background noise though is at 45.4, which is a little high.
If someone is listening via headphones, that level can be distracting ... it is the same decible level as that of quiet conversation in a library ... all through the recording.
No need to change this now, but for future recordings, please run a noise reduction effect.

A few links that might help you:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker is a handy tool by which you may check and correct your own tech specs.
When you download it, under validation, change to "strict" for most full information.

Information on noise cleaning can be found here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning

This link has all KINDS of goodies to explore! https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

If you have questions about technical aspects of recording, please feel free to ask in the "HELP" forum.
While I'm always happy to help as much as possible, other LV members are MUCH more adept at providing assistance in that way.

In so far as the reading aspect is concerned:

At 7:06, there is a noted stumble:
Text: "sit by him?"
I hear "(pause) s-s-sit by him?"
It will be best to re-record the line, extract the stutter and insert the correction.

There are a few instances where it sounds as if papers are shuffling.
Most are not so distracting as to require redo, but from my listening notes, I have
11:16 Background noise, as if something shuffling, then falling off the desk?
I had a brief flash of concern for you, but then you continued, so all seemed well. *Smile*

These are not HUGE issues, Farrah, but I believe your recording will greatly benefit from changing those two instances.
I'll be happy to spot check them, at your convenience.

Thank you again for adding to this work!
Please let us know if we can help you.

Best,
~Angelique
FIftikhar123

Post by FIftikhar123 »

Hi,
Thank you for your advice. I'll be honest, that noise at 11:16, I don't have a clue where it came from!
Also, I had been applying noise reduction using audacity but it was making my voice sound muffled. However, I have tried it again and it seems okay this time around. So let me know what you think:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/studies_13_lowndes_128kb.mp3

Regards,
Farrah
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thank you for your re-work Farrah!
The background noise is now beautifully done, coming in at 32.7, with no change to your voice.
The stutter/stumble was well edited as well.
I still hear the *Thunk* at ~11:16, but will let that pass on this round, given that it's one of your initial recordings.
Please be aware though that listeners on earphones will suddenly hear a close crash noise; I only note those things which will be of distraction to readers. I never want someone to pass by your work for minor instances.

Again, thank you for your contribution to this book. I look forward to hearing more from you.
~Angelique
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
Falassewen

Post by Falassewen »

Skweeky wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 6:05 pm I'll retract my claim on 4 and 5 in that case, always better for consistency! And I won't have to flounder about in my schoolgirl French
Oops! I didn't mean to butt in line. I'm so sorry to snatch these sections out from under you. (Don't shy away from school girl French; Angelique is very gracious when it comes to mine :P )

If you'd still like them please let Carolin know, otherwise I'll be home to record them on Monday!!!
"My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Practical Magic

-Melissa Green
Falassewen

Post by Falassewen »

Section 3 with edit:
32:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/studies_03_lowndes_128kb.mp3

Thanks for the spot check!
"My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Practical Magic

-Melissa Green
Falassewen

Post by Falassewen »

-Melissa Green
Falassewen

Post by Falassewen »

-Melissa Green
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Very, very nicely done, Melissa of edit and IV. All PL okay!

I'm a lil sad that the story is almost at an end ... Soap Opera ! ...

Yet, can hardly wait to hear the Last Chapter. *Smile*

Be back with you in just a bit.
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Section 5 is perfectly okay! *Smile*

And nuh Unh. No way could I listen to that entire story and have it end on a note which I did not understand.
We just can't HAVE that, so:

From Wikipedia:
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori is a line from the Roman lyrical poet Horace's Odes (III.2.13).
The line is usually translated as: "It is sweet and proper to die for one's country."

*Smile*

Thanks so much, as always for your contributions, Melissa.

A True Pleasure,
~Angelique
Falassewen

Post by Falassewen »

I also had to look it up! Sort of an unfortunate way to end a recording as the Latin wraps it up so nicely. On things like that do you ever consider requesting a translation line be added just after the original text?

Carolin, any input? Far be it from me to suggest editing the original text.....but there's also so much missing in the wrap up if you're not Latin fluent.....

Anywho, thanks again for another fun project ladies!

-Melissa Green