COMPLETE: Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge - PO/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kri

Post by kri »

This project is now complete and closed. Files can be found in our catalogue at http://librivox.org/the-rime-of-the-ancient-mariner-by-samuel-taylor-coleridge/.

Following ChipDoc's example, I'm posting this in poetry & prose instead of going solo. I've actually already recorded the Ancient Mariner, I just need to edit now. That should take me a day or two, depending on when I sit down to do it.

Is there anything I'm missing, or should have done instead?

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Kri, this is perfect! ... and perfect timing as I was looking for a nice small project with which Gesine can practice while I train her in the world of Librivox Cataloging.

=)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kri

Post by kri »

It's about 35 min, without taking out the extra long pauses and mistakes. Should I break it into each of the seven parts, or keep it as one file? My guess is that once I edit, it will be 25-30 minutes long.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

One file is fine =)
~ Betsie
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hello kri

I'll be looking after your files. For now, I've added you to the Coming Soon section of the catalogue page.

When you're done, would you please send the file to: http://www.yousendit.com/?recipient=justgesine@yahoo.co.uk and also post the link here?

Finally, we'd be grateful if you could write a short summary of the Mariner for the catalogue page - a couple of sentences' description would be great. If you don't want to do this, please just tell me, it's no problem.

Thank you!

Gesine
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
kri

Post by kri »

I think I might be able to finnegle a summary out of my helpful fiance. He loves the Ancient Mariner, and he's a writer too!

I'm feeling frustrated because somehow Audacity mangled my recording of War of the Worlds, and the Ancient Mariner. Now I have a recording with the first half of War of the Worlds, and the second half Ancient Mariner. I'm going to be delayed a few days from when I thought this would be done to re-record the beginning. That's just kind of frustrating and weird.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Kri,

I can fully understand your frustration over Audacity's audacity with our recordings... I've had all sorts of trouble when my computer's memory (even just for the temp files) runs short... my files end up all skippy and I end up crying over them before I re-record.... this is the kind of stuff I don't discover until I've completed the recording...I try to convince myself that the reading gets better after every re-record.

Hang in there! You can do it! =)
~ Betsie
kri

Post by kri »

For some reason I'm finding myself a perfectionist on this one. I'm finding the need to re-do pieces that are really fine as they are, but wanting to do them better. I hope in the end it does justice to how awesome this poem is.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi kri

I'm sure it will be marvellous! :)

Don't be alarmed by the change in the subject of this thread - we have just introduced the 'meta coordinator' role, see new sticky in the forum.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
kri

Post by kri »

Finished!!! I can't tell you how excited I am to have this one finished. My fiance being the procrastinator he is, here's my description...

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is the story of an old mariner who takes aside an unwilling wedding guest. The voyage was a long one, to a far far land through ice and mist. The mariner kills an albatross that seemed to follow the ship. For this he and his crew are punished with drought and death, for all but the mariner. His life is won by LIFE-IN-DEATH; he must tell his tale to a particular person whenever the need comes on. In the end, one must learn that "all things great and small" are important.

If anyone can write better, please do!! I consider myself more a reader than a writer of literature.

The file: http://www.greenkri.com/librivox/ancient_mariner_coleridge_kll.mp3
Time: 31:06

Er....is there anything else that is needed?
kri

Post by kri »

Whoops, forgot to send through yousendit. I waited about ten minutes, and then I was directed to a page saying the connection timed out.

Forgive me, but I'm just not going to bother with it again. Perhaps I'll try again later, unless the file gets snagged from my site instead.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Actually the preferred way is to post it on your site and list the link to it in your post - just as you did! The yousendit.com thing is for those who don't have sites where they can post these things.

I like your rendition of Coleridge's magnum opus too!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kri

Post by kri »

Thank you for the compliment :) This one took me longer than normal.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

The funny thing is that the Poetic Voice in this piece is that of a grizzled old sea dog. To hear it being read by a bright-voiced young girl takes it to a totally different place. I really liked it a lot! Your performance made me see things I'd never considered when reading this poem before.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kri

Post by kri »

ChipDoc wrote:The funny thing is that the Poetic Voice in this piece is that of a grizzled old sea dog. To hear it being read by a bright-voiced young girl takes it to a totally different place.
Yeah, I noticed that right at the very beginning. I tried to read the other characters that arose in a different voice, or at least where they needed more clarification that it was a different person speaking.