COMPLETE: Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge - PO/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Gesine

Post by Gesine » January 13th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Thanks, kri - how exciting! I won't have time today but will get this uploaded tomorrow. I'll grab the file now, though, and will let you know if there are any problems.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

kri

Post by kri » January 13th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Thanks, Gesine!

ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc » January 13th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Distinguishing between characters can be accomplished in two ways: by accent and by intensity. Though we like to think of ourselves as a classless society, it remains that there are differences between social strata. Even in your mind's ear, a ship's captain is simply going to sound different from a bo'suns mate, and both of them will be very different from a lady passenger. Intensity is the tool we generally use to distinguish between these characters; accent has its place, but it's best not to rely on it.

The real trouble comes up when you have a dialogue between two members of the same class. I was just reading A Tale Of Two Cities, Book 2, Chapter 5 - The Jackal. There's an extended dialogue between two members of the 18th century British bar. Distinguishing between two attorneys isn't an easy task, and I confess that I'm a little disappointed in my ability to render it. Logically they both have the same accent and the same intensity.

But as we keep reading aloud, we pick up on more and more nuances which enable us to distinguish characterization and practice will make us all better and better!
-Chip
[url]http://ChipDoc.com/LibriVox/[/url]
[i]The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.[/i]
~Mark Twain