COMPLETE: Glimpses of Italian society in the eighteenth century by Hester Lynch Piozzi -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

barbara2 wrote: May 21st, 2019, 4:32 am Pam, Section 15, Naples part 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/italiansociety_15_piozzi_128.mp3
M:S
20:00

Goethe was in Italy in for 2 years from 1786. His “Italian Journey" is currently being recorded in German for Librivox. I just discovered that W. H. Auden and Elizabeth Mayer translated it (so I ordered it). “Naples is a paradise" wrote Goethe "in it every one lives in a sort of intoxicated self-forgetfulness. It is even so with me: I scarcely know myself; I seem to myself quite an altered man. Yesterday I said to myself, ‘Either you have always been mad, or you are so now.’ ’’

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Too bad you can't record it in English, as the translation sounds too recent. I have always been interested in Goethe's Italienische Reise.

Section 15 is PL OK.

My best,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami wrote: May 21st, 2019, 6:46 am Hi Barbara,

Too bad you can't record it in English, as the translation sounds too recent. I have always been interested in Goethe's Italienische Reise.

Section 15 is PL OK.

My best,

Pam
Hi Pam, I'm up to p. 159. It's January 1787, Goethe is 5? years younger than Hester, but I don't think my authors' paths will cross. It seems to me so far that a person who, in Auden's words, "is one of the triumvirate who occupy the thrones of European Literature" is ...the word I am trying to avoid using is "humble". He is a few years younger than Hester and is trying to travel incognito - flatting modestly in Rome with some artists (one of whom is currently designing the famous portrait) and, while keeping his critical faculties, is open to all experiences now that he is "At last in the First City of the World!"

I hope I can keep reading him in tandem with Hester.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

I took a German class in college called "Goethe and Schiller," but I have to confess I never actually read it. Always meant to. I'll look up this translation. My professor friend recommends Thomas Mann's "Lotte in Weimar" about Goethe's literary lion days.

Reading these two travelogs in tandem-- sublime. And on the eve of the French Revolution, nothing could be better!

Ironically yours,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 6:18 am
My professor friend recommends Thomas Mann's "Lotte in Weimar" about Goethe's literary lion days.

Pam
I started that quite recently but didn't know enough to appreciate the satire(?). I am very familiar with much of Goethe's poetry because - Lieder!!

Tra la,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

My friend explained that in the novel Lotte comes to Weimar many years after a cherished acquaintanceship with Goethe, but the literary lion barely remembers her.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Hi Pam,

Section 16 - Naples Pt. 4
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/italiansociety_16_piozzi_128.mp3
16:28

Goethe shares Hester's enthusiasm for Naples. Vesuvius is a good deal quieter and he has climbed to the crater's very rim.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 16 is PL OK.

That Hester had such great adventures by defying convention and marrying an Italian.

And thank God she wrote them down!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 9:04 am Hi Barbara,

Section 16 is PL OK.

That Hester had such great adventures by defying convention and marrying an Italian.

And thank God she wrote them down!

Pam
Thanks, Pam, for the PL. Hester availed herself of all the opportunities that Piozzi's connections gave - if I remember Goethe correctly, a lot of the rich travellers were incurious and didn't venture enough out of their own circles.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

At last, Section 17 - Rome Revisited

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/italiansociety_17_piozzi_128.mp3
32:37

17th April 1786 and the Piozzis are heading home.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 17 is PL OK.

A pleasure to hear, as usual!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Section 18, Return to Milan (part 1):

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/italiansociety_18_piozzi_128.mp3
17:50

Hester gets philosophical...

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

I am looking forward to this!

Going to Boston today, so will listen when I get WiFi.

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 18 is PL OK.

Ever interesting!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Section 19, Pam, Return to Milan Part 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/italiansociety_19_piozzi_128.mp3
19:21

Hester remains reflective.

And you might be entertained by reading about the horror that is clear starching:

http://18thcenturylife.com/2016/research/the-laundrymaid-clear-starching/

Best,

Barbara