Human Nature and Conduct - Part 3, by John Dewey-philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 6:51 pm Just checking; is everything polished and ready to go? I will wait until tomorrow (Wednesday) to start validation of this Educational project just in case.
Well, if his name can't be changed retroactively to Part 1, then, I guess we need to stick with the original William Jones. I was hoping you could find out before making any changes. So sorry to be such a bother. It's just that there are dozens of other William Jones's that show up on IA -- both names are so common!

Can we wait to see if that is possible? There is no great rush to catalog.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 8:10 pm
philchenevert wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 6:51 pm Just checking; is everything polished and ready to go? I will wait until tomorrow (Wednesday) to start validation of this Educational project just in case.
Well, if his name can't be changed retroactively to Part 1, then, I guess we need to stick with the original William Jones. I was hoping you could find out before making any changes. So sorry to be such a bother. It's just that there are dozens of other William Jones's that show up on IA -- both names are so common!

Can we wait to see if that is possible? There is no great rush to catalog.
Sure. I will run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes. :D :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Good news about the name change. Changing a catalog name will change it for everything in our catalog so Vol I will be listed under Bills full name. On Internet ARchive the name will remain the same as before unless I go in and manually change it by magic; which I will do using my regulation magic wand today sometime! :D So the validation will start this afternoon.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

philchenevert wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 6:54 am Good news about the name change. Changing a catalog name will change it for everything in our catalog so Vol I will be listed under Bills full name. On Internet ARchive the name will remain the same as before unless I go in and manually change it by magic; which I will do using my regulation magic wand today sometime! :D So the validation will start this afternoon.
I didn't intend to cause so much trouble.
Thank you, Phil, for taking care of the maneuvering.

Ever since the dawn of Google I have been banished into anonymity due to my very common name.
A Google search for "William Jones" just now gave the following result:
About 242,000,000 results (0.82 seconds)
A search for "William Allan Jones" yields:
About 125,000,000 results (0.62 seconds)
117,000,000 fewer "hits"
In contrast, a search for a random name, say "Phil Chenevert" yields:
About 70,500 results (0.43 seconds)
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ah, but we only care about how many William Jones's on Internet Archive!!!!! :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

This project can now be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/human-nature-and-conduct-an-introduction-to-social-psychology-1922-part-3-by-john-dewey/

Kudos to Michele the BC and to the soloist, William Allan Jones :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Phil. Alas, I believe you used the original title and summary, not the amended ones. Also, Summary by William Jones, Soloist appears twice at the end.

Title should read: Human Nature and Conduct - Part 3, The Place of Intelligence In Conduct
OK, will fix that. I had trouble validating the project because the file name was too long and so was rejected by our software. It was apparently uploaded twice because of this probably causing these discrepancies. No problem fixing these things though.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Title fixed and duplication of soloist name in description fixed. The description or summary as shown in the first post is the one he wishes to use?
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: October 4th, 2018, 11:17 am Title fixed and duplication of soloist name in description fixed. The description or summary as shown in the first post is the one he wishes to use?
Here's the latest one (I added Allan to his name since I had the chance):

John Dewey, an early 20th Century American philosopher, psychologist, educational theorist, saw Social Psychology as much a physical science (with rules and predictive power) as Biology and Chemistry. This project encompasses Part 3 of 4 of his book Human Nature and Conduct. An Introduction to Social Psychology, published in 1922.
Dewey's uses the words "HABIT" and "Impulse" as a specialized catch-all words to describe how a person and his/her objective environment interact. This interaction is the basis for moral and ethical judgements. Dewey writes: "All habits are demands for certain kinds of activity; and they constitute the self.” In other places he also asserts that "Habits are Will." In this third part of the book, Dewey describes how we make ethical judgments (Dramatic Rehearsal), the occasions which call upon the exercise of intelligence, and the relationship among aims, goals, means and ends, and emotions. ~ Summary by William Allan Jones, Soloist
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

OK, the correct description should be showing up very soon in the catalog. Let me know if it doesn't.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Again: Thank you all for your efforts and encouragement!
:9:
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

:thumbs: :thumbs: Image