[COMPLETE] Old Fashioned Fairy Tales by Juliana Horatia Gatty Ewing-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
josephjones

Post by josephjones »

Old Fashioned Fairy Tales by Juliana Horatia Gatty Ewing (1841 - 1885).

SPECIAL NOTE
THIS PROJECT IS BEING UNDERTAKEN AS PART OF AN EAGLE SCOUT PROJECT AND ALL CHAPTERS ARE BEING RESERVED FOR THAT PROJECT SO WE DON'T NEED ANY OTHER READERS OR A DPL

Ogres, hillmen, and both fairies and fools abound by forest and town in this book by Juliana Horatia Gatty Ewing. Designed to cultivate imagination, character, and leave a strong moral when finished, she blends humor with short parables and rustic settings. This audiobook was completed by volunteers for an Eagle Scout project coordinated by Joseph Jones (summary by Joseph Jones)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15592
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: Bee8Xljz
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Juliana Horatia Gatty Ewing) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliana_Horatia_Ewing
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
      • Original publication date (if known):
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Old Fashioned Fairy Tales. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Old Fashioned Fairy Tales, by Juliana Horatia Gatty Ewing. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Old Fashioned Fairy Tales, by Juliana Horatia Gatty Ewing. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      oldfashionedfairytales_##_ewing_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. oldfashionedfairytales_01_ewing_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by josephjones on October 19th, 2018, 10:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just a reminder to any MC's - this in an Eagle Scout project and we need answers to a few things to be sure Joseph and all of us are not wasting time because of overlooked requirements viewtopic.php?p=1490616#p1490616 . We can't commit to "signing off" on things unless we know what those things are and whether we will know the answers

Anne
josephjones

Post by josephjones »

annise wrote: July 27th, 2018, 6:51 pm
josephjones wrote: July 27th, 2018, 4:26 pm I am working on my Eagle Scout Project and need a book coordinator’s help. I’m introducing people to Librivox and having them read a short collection of fairy tales by Juliana Horatia Ewing. The book is called “Old Fashioned Fairy Tales” and has 20 short fairy tales each 2-4 pages long. I’m a new reader and can't do it myself so I need someone with more experience to post this book.

The book can be found at https://www.gutenberg.org/files/15592/15592-h/15592-h.htm
Before anyone starts this, we need to know a few things . We've had a number of different people try to use LV as part of a volunteer requirement and it hasn't worked.
So we need to understand a few things
My understanding is that you need to show you can organise a project for someone and present them with a finished project- like building a fence for a children's park - you organise the materials and the group of volunteers and you finish the project.
So our role is to say yes you finished an audiobook and we can use it
Have you had the project approved ?
What have you told them you will do ? We can't sign off on it unless we know what you have proposed.

Are you planning to check your friends files and upload them all ?

You've made a really good start doing the test and finding out what is involved in reading , and I would be prepared to set it up for you depending on your answers

I want this to work , both for your sake and ours. And maybe for others that want to tread the path,

Anne

Thanks for affirming; I want this to work out, too. I really appreciate your offer to help me through this.
To answer your questions:

Has the project been approved?
Yes, the district Eagle Project counselor has approved my project but said I would need a signature from the Librivox coordinator who helped me through the project, and that signature could be in the form of a letter (sent by email) that I attached to my project workbook. I was planning on using the Librivox acceptance email, but if you would be willing to send me an email with the project booklet's exact wording, the Eagle Board would probably be happier. :) The letter just needs to say:

“This service project will provide significant benefit, and we will do all we can to see it through. We realize funding on our part is not required, but we have informed the Scout of the financial support (if any) that we have agreed to. We understand any fund raising he conducts will be in our name and that funds left over will come to us if we are allowed to accept them. We will provide receipts to donors as required. Our Eagle candidate has provided us a copy of “Navigating the Eagle Scout Service Project, Information for Project Beneficiaries.”

Signed,

I can send you a copy of the “Navigating the Eagle Scout Service Project, Information for Project Beneficiaries” to read. I will also need a letter at the end saying the project has been completed. There will be no fundraiser for this project.

2) What have I told them I would do?
Here is my project description:
“My project is an audio recording of a book that is in the public domain so that it is available for blind people to listen to. This also makes it available free of charge to anyone who wishes to listen to it. I will be organizing adults and youth who will volunteer to read sections of the books, and I will be overseeing recording so that it is good quality.”

Volunteers for my project create their own accounts on Librivox. They can read, PL, Edit, whichsoever meets their fancy. I'm just getting them started and being there to help in person. Anyone on the Librivox forum can help record “Old Fashioned Fairy Tales” though they need to be okay with being listed as a volunteer in my project.

3) Am I planning to check my friends files and upload them all?
No, the end goal is to have each volunteer be able to do that themselves. If they need help along the way I can assist in editing and uploading.

The main thing I’m doing to benefit Librivox is bringing new volunteers in and recording a short story.

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

Sincerely awaiting your reply,

Joseph Jones
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

Anne,

I know this isn't fully resolved yet, but when it is, I'd like to volunteer as DPL. As a former Scout Leader who has a niece and nephew who both achieved this level, its a project near and dear to my heart. I have no trouble being listed as a volunteer on the formal paperwork. I can serve as DPL, or if Joseph prefers to use a friend, I can take a step back and supervise a new PLer in the role. Whatever works best for all involved. I can also promise a fast turnaround on the work as I know he needs to get this accomplished in a timely manner.

I wait to hear from ya'll.

Thanks,
T
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The following is my personal opinion, and not necessarily the opinion of the other admins.

I have serious reservations about this project.

From what I understand, not having any personal experience, an Eagle Project is supposed to be a significant project, taking a good amount of time and work to accomplish. Coordinating a collection of fairy tales as a group project, with the experienced readers that will volunteer, will take comparatively little time and effort on the BC's part.

Regarding the "permission" letter, I take issue with this portion: "and we will do all we can to see it through." What does this mean? We often have people come here to coordinate a school project, or volunteer projects of other sorts, and they disappear after their deadline has passed (the school year ended, etc.) with the project left uncompleted. I, personally, would not "do all I can" to see such projects through to completion.

Also, we are not in a position to submit signed letters to organizations certifying things about projects. We are volunteers from all over the world; we don't have any kind of central office to certify these things. And if you need any kind of certification as to how much time you've spent working on it, we simply cannot know that. Usually one could go by the amount of time in a finished recording, but that leaves out a lot - and coordinating a project that others record means that there is absolutely no objective metric for how much time is spent.

I would not want to be responsible for saying that a coordinator successfully set up a project, assigned readers, and did the fairly easy administrative work of accepting the finished sections. What is "success" in this instance? As you're brand new to recording and coordinating, you'll require guidance and help. At what point are we doing your project for you?

The benefit you are offering to us (new volunteers and recording a short story) isn't really of that great benefit. Dollars to donuts that your friends/family that record for you will not go on to record more for us, so aside from getting another book of fairy tales into the catalog, there's not much benefit to us.

I could be wrong about all this. You could perhaps have some readers lined up, for which you will make sure their technical settings are OK and that the file meets our tech qualifications before they upload them. And maybe they'll stick around to be prolific contributors. But my gut is telling me that what you propose is not what the BSA has in mind for an Eagle Scout project. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

Okay, I understand I'm basically new, I'm not an admin, and I'm sticking my nose in; however, I do have experience with the process. I've been involved with 2 BSA Eagle Applications and 10 GSA Gold Level Applications (the GSA equiv of Eagle), as well as having been a Troop Leader for over a decade.

I'm getting involved because I see a misnomer approaching and in the spirit of informed consent. The Eagle Project itself doesn't have to be involved or complex. What Mr. Jones is proposing, the role of BC, is acceptable under the terms and guidelines. Also, from what he's said, he's already gotten approval at the district level for this project. Generally, this means he's already gotten 3-4 levels of approval before approaching LibriVox, Project Coach, Troop Leader, Troop Committee, District Counselor.

The letter he is asking for is negotiable as to terminology if some phrase or passage is objected to. Basically, it needs to state LibriVox gave him "every opportunity to succeed independently without direct supervision." LibriVox is not allowed to do the project at all, but, rather, to provide someone to answer questions so he can do it himself and to say whether its finished or not. Further, it should state that he "met ...reasonable expectations" as to the task agreed upon, and that the finished project is approved. The rest of it is legalese to acknowledge that LibriVox knows he can't raise funds outside of what is needed to execute the project, in this case nothing, and he gave us the paperwork detailing these points. (Available online.)

Before he begins recording, Mr. Jones has to post (email, snailmail, etc.) his project plan so the MC can read it over and know exactly what is agreed to. (Plan Review) Changes can be made if needed at that time.

Overall, all the project really does is show Mr. Jones has learned leadership skills over his time as a scout. It is a small part of the whole application for Eagle Rank that he's worked toward for a number of years. He needs at least 21 merit badges as well. That plus all the paperwork around the project (screen shots of all his posts, etc.), the "project is complete" approval letter from LibriVox, a number of recommendation letters, his scout transcripts, two or more written life statements, at least 6 months in a troop leadership position, and various and sundry other pieces form the actual application. And that still just gets him started. There's more to come, up to and including National Office approval.

Also, Mr. Jones MUST complete the whole process BEFORE his 18th birthday, or it all becomes a mute point.

Like I said, I know I'm butting in, but I've found there's often misunderstanding concerning what these projects do and don't include, so I just wanted to clarify. I'm not recommending one way or another.

Thanks,
T
Sandmjones

Post by Sandmjones »

This is Joseph's mom.
Terrybenn, thanks for your comments. :thumbs:
TriciaG, I understand your concerns and would like to offer my viewpoint. I have six sons (Joseph being the fourth). The three older boys have already completed their Eagle Scout projects and earned their Eagle Award, and Joseph and his two younger brothers are currently working on theirs.
TriciaG wrote: September 7th, 2018, 9:34 am From what I understand, not having any personal experience, an Eagle Project is supposed to be a significant project, taking a good amount of time and work to accomplish. Coordinating a collection of fairy tales as a group project, with the experienced readers that will volunteer, will take comparatively little time and effort on the BC's part.
I can say without reservation that this is THE MOST SIGNIFICANT project any of our boys has done. It may not seem like it from an experienced reader's standpoint; but Joseph has already taken a LOT of time and effort to become acquainted with the whole process involved in becoming a reader and has recorded a story so he can mentor others through the process. Advertising the project, collecting and training volunteers, and coordinating the reading of the book through to completion will give him plenty of leadership experience and will be more durable and lasting than the raptors nest that one son put up that was then taken down because neighbors complained it obstructed their view, or the 64 baby blankets that have been made and donated to the local children's hospital that will be used seven times each and then discarded, or a park bench (which is a common project). This project is requiring more coordination and leadership because Joseph is mentoring approximately twenty people who have expressed an interest in what Librivox is doing but are completely unfamiliar with the project. Most of these people are not friends and family but people from our community.
TriciaG wrote: September 7th, 2018, 9:34 am Regarding the "permission" letter, I take issue with this portion: "and we will do all we can to see it through." What does this mean? We often have people come here to coordinate a school project, or volunteer projects of other sorts, and they disappear after their deadline has passed (the school year ended, etc.) with the project left uncompleted. I, personally, would not "do all I can" to see such projects through to completion.
"We will do all we can to see it through" in this case just means answering questions that Joseph has as he goes through the process, offering help as needed and sending the two necessary letters. So far, the Librivox community has been fantastic about helping him over any hurdles he has encountered in the reading and coordinating process. Somebody has always stepped up to help him. What a great community!
As far as seeing the project through to completion...I think that's a risk you take with any new reader or coordinator, isn't it? But you don't have to worry...Joseph will see the project through. He's just that kind of young man. This is probably a good time to note that Joseph chose this project because he likes reading and enjoys listening to audiobooks on Librivox. He is completing the project for its intrinsic worth, NOT just to get his Eagle Scout Award. If it were just to get the award, we would have encouraged him to choose an easier project. I'm getting old and tired. :lol:
TriciaG wrote: September 7th, 2018, 9:34 am Also, we are not in a position to submit signed letters to organizations certifying things about projects. We are volunteers from all over the world; we don't have any kind of central office to certify these things. And if you need any kind of certification as to how much time you've spent working on it, we simply cannot know that. Usually one could go by the amount of time in a finished recording, but that leaves out a lot - and coordinating a project that others record means that there is absolutely no objective metric for how much time is spent.
The letters don't have to come from a central office. It can be from whomever supervises Joseph in the project and can just be sent by email. You don't have to certify how much time he spent working on the project. Each scout reports the approximate time he and his volunteers spent working on the project, and the Eagle Board trusts each scout to be honest about the time he spent. And there is not a set amount of time that has to be spent like there used to be. BSA just wants to be able to report how many volunteer hours their organization has achieved for the year.
TriciaG wrote: September 7th, 2018, 9:34 am I would not want to be responsible for saying that a coordinator successfully set up a project, assigned readers, and did the fairly easy administrative work of accepting the finished sections. What is "success" in this instance? As you're brand new to recording and coordinating, you'll require guidance and help. At what point are we doing your project for you?
Joseph will have to explain the steps he took and the lessons he learned in the Eagle Board of Review. The board will determine whether or not the project was a success.
TriciaG wrote: September 7th, 2018, 9:34 am The benefit you are offering to us (new volunteers and recording a short story) isn't really of that great benefit. Dollars to donuts that your friends/family that record for you will not go on to record more for us, so aside from getting another book of fairy tales into the catalog, there's not much benefit to us.
This community is built on volunteers...some do a lot; some do a little; but everybody's contribution is beneficial. I could compare it to a beehive, but this letter is already too long. Who knows what ripple effects Joseph's project will have in the lives of the volunteers he has recruited to help. One older man in our community speaks German and was excited at the thought of being able to record books in German for Librivox. Another man is experienced in digital recording and has a sound booth in his home. He was very excited to learn about Librivox. Perhaps the majority of his readers won't ever do another project, but perhaps they will. And I think they will all be excited to tell their family and friends about their recording. And family and friends will be excited to listen to their recording. Thanks for listening.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks, Joseph's Mum. I was a bit concerned when he didn't answer my post - not only for our benefit but his. It would be really sad if after working on it we were unable to sign off what he needed so we like to get it all "in writing" so we know. I think Eagle Scouts are same as our Queen scouts
I'll set it up and come back to give Joseph what he needs, and he can ask questions if I miss something, just remember I'm in a different time zone so the answers may be delayed

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We now have a magic window As BC you'll need to be able to edit it
Now that you are a BC (book coordinator). That means that you will enter the links to your recordings into the Magic Window (MW) (the scrolling window in the first post). Here is a document that explains how to get into the MW the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

And here is another document that explains how to keep the MW up to date etc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
So you'll need to enter the titles - I've done a couple to show what we want.

Ask if it's not clear. I have entered a reader just so there is room for your "newbies"

Anne

And also - if you send an email to info@librivox.org I'll be able to send what you need for your application - say Eagle Scout somewhere just in case, there is a fair amount of emails come daily
josephjones

Post by josephjones »

I'm not sure the system has me as BC for this project. I can get onto the Librivox Management Dashboard, but when I try to access Old Fashioned Fairy Tales it says I don't have permission for that area. The same thing happens when I try to click on the BC Admin link under the magic window or search and click on it in the Section Compiler.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Are you logged in? You may need to logout and login again - remember the password may be different for the workflow compared with the forum. See Anne's linked document above.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Try again now, and see what happens - I'd had trouble adding you and meant to go back and check.

Anne
josephjones

Post by josephjones »

Thanks! That did it!

Joseph
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sorry about that, I needed to add you to the BC database but it was very slow and I got tired of watching nothing happening, so I went on to the next steps, meaning to return later
Anne
MelanieV

Post by MelanieV »

I’d like to read 15, The Magic Jar. This is my first recording. Please list it under Melanie Valderrama.