[COMPLETE]Tom Petrie's reminiscences of early Queensland - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Kathrine
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

kathrinee wrote: July 14th, 2020, 4:27 pm And section 22 (20:55) https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/reminiscences_22_petrie_128kb.mp3 Thank you! :thumbs:
Thanks, Kathrine.

No reply from Josh and he doesn't seem to have posted this year so I'm taking the last Section, 28, myself.

Best,

Barbara
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 22 PL OK
:D Cheryl
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Its up to you now, Barbara! :clap:
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

And here it is, Cheryl!

Section 28
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/reminisences_28_petrie_128kb.mp3
M:S
17:8

Best,

Barbara
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 28 PL OK
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: pages and pages of standing ovations!
Congratulations to all of us.
This is a wonderful book.
It certainly changed my understanding of how aboriginal Australians lived.
Cheryl
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

cherylstewart wrote: July 18th, 2020, 10:33 am Section 28 PL OK
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: pages and pages of standing ovations!
Congratulations to all of us.
This is a wonderful book.
It certainly changed my understanding of how aboriginal Australians lived.
Cheryl
Hasn't it been good! My hope has been that somebody of aboriginal descent might come across it and enjoy it as much as we have.

And thank you, Cheryl, for your great PLs and encouragement. Also, ahem, for gently prodding me to update the MW. And warm thanks to the other readers.

I guess annise will know that the project is finished without being told?

Best,

Barbara
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yep - I've been watching. Do you want any changes to the summary ?

Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

annise wrote: July 18th, 2020, 4:27 pm Yep - I've been watching. Do you want any changes to the summary ?

Anne

Hi annise! I think the summary is OK.

Thank you!

Barbara
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

I always look under "travel and geography" for this type of book. (It isn't travel to you, but you will find similar books about other places there.) :wink:
Cheryl
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

cherylstewart wrote: July 18th, 2020, 6:54 pm I always look under "travel and geography" for this type of book. (It isn't travel to you, but you will find similar books about other places there.) :wink:
Cheryl
OK. For all you aliens, I've added Travel & Geography. I think I edited the MW correctly. I put my trust in annise's eagle eye.

Best,

Barbara
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It has taken some time partly because there were some creative spelling of file names (note to self - never use reminiscences as a file name :D :D ) and because Archive was very busy and everything took longer.
What would you feel about adding comment to the summary about the content - the later parts have views which would be considered inappropriate if written today
I know I received complaints about the book of Aboriginal tales I BCed.
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

annise wrote: July 19th, 2020, 6:30 am It has taken some time partly because there were some creative spelling of file names (note to self - never use reminiscences as a file name :D :D ) and because Archive was very busy and everything took longer.
What would you feel about adding comment to the summary about the content - the later parts have views which would be considered inappropriate if written today
I know I received complaints about the book of Aboriginal tales I BCed.
Thanks annise.

Yes, I think there might be complaints because the Wikipedia entry for Tom Petrie seems to me to misrepresent or misinterpret some of his ideas and behaviour as recorded in this book. The hurt is deep.

I've lived with Tom Petrie now for 2 years and I was aware only of a feeling of fellowship with the aboriginal population in the sections that I read. I would also like the man's character to be revealed as it was and in the context of his time - namely, admirable.

I haven't yet listened to all of the sections I didn't personally record. What if I added the word "perceptions" - "The book includes a fascinating record of his perceptions of the life and customs of the aboriginal population, whose dialect he spoke and in whose activities he was invited to participate."

Or is there a more serious issue with some of the later sections?

Best,

Barbara
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

https://librivox.org/the-stone-axe-of-burkamukk-by-mary-grant-bruce/ was the one I was criticised over my summary. I didn't change it.
Let's just leave this as is - I was just a little shocked about one of the later chapters that I glanced at after I was hunting for images for the cover.

Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

annise wrote: July 19th, 2020, 5:36 pm https://librivox.org/the-stone-axe-of-burkamukk-by-mary-grant-bruce/ was the one I was criticised over my summary. I didn't change it.
Let's just leave this as is - I was just a little shocked about one of the later chapters that I glanced at after I was hunting for images for the cover.

Anne
OK. Your summary seemed fine to me but to people who still identified themselves with their tribal ancestors ....

I had a quick look and saw that Constance Petrie had included a long extract from her grandfather, Andrew Petrie's, diary that had a different, unpleasant, way of speaking of aborigines. Perhaps she included other such extracts? I will edit the description later today when I've had a chance to look more thoroughly.

Best,

Barbara