[COMPLETE]World's Story 4: Greece and Rome - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

starting in the order in which they were uploaded:
woah this second section with the fall and execution of Sejanus was a bit hard to swallow in the early morning. :? And the Fall of Veii really showed the Romans in a nasty light. :evil: what cunning devils to bring destruction to other nations.

Nevertheless, the stories were both interesting and excellently recorded. No errors found, so PL ok.

Thanks again

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

next in line: Colleen
wonderfully read again, thank you Colleen, but again two war-sections, people hurling their children from walls. :? I am really not spared from gruesome details this morning.

Still, interesting texts. I remember this English poem "Thanatos, thanatos" (the sea, the sea) which was about this incident as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Section 24 is already PL ok.

Two PL notes form Section 25 though:

> at 0:01: you missed the beginning of the full intro: “Section 25 of Greece and Rome. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org

> at 15:45: (p. 176) stumble and repeat “on which they laid a number of” – can be cut out once

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I found this enumeration of the 12 Caesars and a short synopsis of their reigns highly interesting 8-) Two wonderfully narrated and PL ok sections yet again.

Thank you, Jo :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: October 14th, 2018, 5:36 pm I have fixed and reuploaded section 52. New runtime: 2:45
And here is section 73 about Pompeii:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_73_tappan_128kb.mp3
I was hoping for something less poetic and a bit more factual. But I guess with a mere 6:32, that's all he could do... :lol:
and last but not least, your two sections are also PL ok now, Ava. Thank you so much, and I found Dickens' scenery quite interesting too. I was trying to remember our trip to Pompeii but I was too young then to really remember much apart from what I see on the photos we took. We went to Herculaneum a few years ago though and that place is well worth a visit too, highly recommendable.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia. Yeah, hooks and dragging bodies about is a bit unseemly. Jim
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read The Seventh Customer in The Sale of the Philosophers"?

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: October 15th, 2018, 6:21 am May I read The Seventh Customer in The Sale of the Philosophers"?
thank you Todd :9: you'll be perfect in that role. (I knew it :mrgreen: )

Details on how to say the voice credit, here: viewtopic.php?p=1499738#p1499738

one role left, we're getting there !

Sonia
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Kitty wrote: October 15th, 2018, 1:16 am

Still, interesting texts. I remember this English poem "Thanatos, thanatos" (the sea, the sea) which was about this incident as well, if I'm not mistaken.
That made me interested enough to google the title and I found this, which is a very cool poem:

The Sea! The Sea!
by Dowell O'Reilly

" The Sea! The Sea! " loud shout ten thousand men,
Dark Persia's weary sands they heed no more,
But down the steep to where the surges roar,
In weeping crowds they rush past Xenophon.
Love's sharp cry thrilled them to the ocean, when
The waves — that oft perchance had lapped before
In caves soft murmuring on the Attic shore
— Sobbed in the hearts of Attic exiles then.

So with Life's serried ranks I struggle through
The sterile wilderness of things that be
Till clear in front lies Death's unfathomed blue,
With tears of love I shout " The Sea! The Sea! "
And listening — hold my breath — to catch the true
Deep breaking thunders of Eternity.

https://www.poetrynook.com/poem/sea-sea-2

He was Australian, 1865-1923 so SHOULD be safely in PD for anyone wanting to record the poem. Unfortunately, his books published in his lifetime are quite rare -- he was disappointed with sales of his two poetry volumes and apparently destroyed most of the copies! Nothing on PG or Hathi Trust that includes his poems (short stories, tho) and only a 1924 "collected works" that includes this poem on Internet Archive -- so that won't be PD for 2 more years in the US!

Not sure if Poetry Nook is acceptable as a source. Since he died in 1923 I'm very sure the poem was published somewhere before that, but the only text in a known-to-be-accepted source is that 1924 collected works book on IA.

But as I understand it, none of this matters in life +50/70 year countries and it's totally PD for y'all, right?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Kitty wrote: October 15th, 2018, 1:16 am next in line: Colleen
wonderfully read again, thank you Colleen, but again two war-sections, people hurling their children from walls. :? I am really not spared from gruesome details this morning.

Section 24 is already PL ok.

Two PL notes form Section 25 though:

> at 0:01: you missed the beginning of the full intro: “Section 25 of Greece and Rome. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org

> at 15:45: (p. 176) stumble and repeat “on which the laid a number of” – can be cut out once

Sonia

Wow I know I recorded that opening disclaimer, I must have cut it somehow by accident when editing...anyway here is version with both corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_25_tappan_128kb.mp3

Updated time: 16:50
Colleen McMahon

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ColleenMc wrote: October 15th, 2018, 6:49 am That made me interested enough to google the title and I found this, which is a very cool poem:

The Sea! The Sea!
by Dowell O'Reilly
indeed a very beautiful poem.

And to my shame I misquoted the title of the poem I meant. It wasn't "thanatos" which means "death" but "thalatta" which means "sea" :oops: I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote it.

this is the one I meant: https://www.bartleby.com/400/poem/1648.html

Thalatta! Thalatta!
By Joseph Brownlee Brown (1824–1888)
CRY OF THE TEN THOUSAND.

I STAND upon the summit of my life:
Behind, the camp, the court, the field, the grove,
The battle and the burden; vast, afar,
Beyond these weary ways, Behold! the Sea!
The sea o’erswept by clouds and winds and wings,
By thoughts and wishes manifold, whose breath
Is freshness and whose mighty pulse is peace.
Palter no question of the horizon dim,—
Cut loose the bark; such voyage itself is rest,
Majestic motion, unimpeded scope,
A widening heaven, a current without care,
Eternity!—deliverance, promise, course!
Time-tired souls salute thee from the shore.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ColleenMc wrote: October 15th, 2018, 7:14 am Wow I know I recorded that opening disclaimer, I must have cut it somehow by accident when editing...anyway here is version with both corrections:
I nearly missed this one...it's PL ok now, thanks ! And I see you hopefully in the next project. :)

Sonia
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thank you!

And how cool that there are multiple poems referencing that moment in Xenophon...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Section 30 has been opened up again, since I have not heard back from the new reader. For those interested in Apelles and his studio, now's your chance. :mrgreen:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is the 7th customer for the Philosopher Slave Market.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_33_seventhcustomer_tappan_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Todd
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Can I claim 6th customer please.