[COMPLETE]World's Story 4: Greece and Rome - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 3:58 pmHere is 67:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_67_tappan_128kb.mp3 15.23 KB
And I thought it was that his works were immoral, that he was a bad influence. :hmm:
haha indeed, this text portrays him like someone who cunningly spreads criticism about other people. He was probably needling the emperor a bit too much with his remarks. :lol:

Interesting text, written in the form of a historical letter. Nice reading, thanks. PL ok again.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

awww two wonderfully read stories, Colleen, thanks so much :9: The second one seems to be from a German novel, maybe this would even be a cool book to read in total for LV. :hmm: I have to see if I can track it down.

Both sections perfectly PL ok. Great.

Sonia
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks! I was wondering about that second section. It seemed to pick up and leave off in midstream of the story!

I plan to get the other two sections done in the next few days.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

Can I claim section 50 please? *gulp*

Nigel
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RufusNight wrote: October 4th, 2018, 12:47 amCan I claim section 50 please? *gulp*
hey :9: thanks for taking part here, Nigel ! Of course I can sign you up for this section. From what I heard so far from you, I'm looking very much forward to listening to it.

All the details for filenaming and intro/outro are to be found in the first post underneath the Magic Window. As you section is over 2 pages long, you'd have to need the full disclaimer.

Have fun !

Sonia
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

Kitty wrote: October 4th, 2018, 12:51 am hey :9: thanks for taking part here, Nigel ! Of course I can sign you up for this section. From what I heard so far from you, I'm looking very much forward to listening to it.

All the details for filenaming and intro/outro are to be found in the first post underneath the Magic Window. As you section is over 2 pages long, you'd have to need the full disclaimer.

Have fun !

Sonia
Well, I won't keep you waiting long then! https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_50_tappan_128kb.mp3 12:21

She's quite pro-Roman isn't she - not how a modern history would look at these things at all!

Nigel
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RufusNight wrote: October 4th, 2018, 2:32 am Well, I won't keep you waiting long then! https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_50_tappan_128kb.mp3 12:21
She's quite pro-Roman isn't she - not how a modern history would look at these things at all!
:shock: that was ultra-fast. Will have a listen to it as soon as I can ! Thanks.

Feedback coming shortly.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RufusNight wrote: October 4th, 2018, 2:32 amShe's quite pro-Roman isn't she - not how a modern history would look at these things at all!
:mrgreen: well to be fair, Tappan was often writing a "simplified" history for children, and this is probably an excerpt from one of her books, so the attitude is more "naive" in a way.

Anyway, your reading is excellent, I enjoyed it very much. :9: Intro and outro all perfect too, sound quality and technical settings all correct, no errors or omissions from the text. :thumbs:

I only have one tiny note to make:

> at 2:32: (p. 326): “beans, onions and other vegetables”: there’s a loud thump in this part which made me jump. Could you maybe re-record these five words or this sentence and replace it in your file ? (careful not to move the mic during recording ;) )

Please re-upload with the exact same filename, then the old file will get replaced by the new one.

Thanks for this great addition. :)

Sonia
eWinters

Post by eWinters »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

eWinters wrote: October 4th, 2018, 4:58 am Here is section 92. It's 27:44.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_04_92_tappan_128kb.mp3
thank you so much, and wow this was a long section. Brave of you to tackle such a length for one of your first sections. :thumbs: And everything beautifully read, you did a great job on the often tricky Latin names.

No noticeable textual errors, but I need to make some notes on the pause lengths between some sections. Sometimes you have more than 2 seconds and even over 3 seconds of silence in some parts. For a listener this long silence feels like an eternity even though you may not notice that while recording. ;) 1.5 or maximum 2 seconds is fully enough to give the listeners a bit of time to assimilate what they're hearing.

I would suggest cutting down the following pauses:

> at 0:29: after the title and before the intro text there are over 3 seconds
> at 1:19: after the intro-text and before the core text
> at 3:55: before “this hall derived its name...”
> at 4:29: before “the cupola of the hall...”
> at 7:21: before “he is never to be found...”
> at 27:35: almost 10 seconds of silence at the end, should be cut down to the standard 5

A good idea is to start at the end of the recording to cut, because that way the time stamps will stay the same and you'll find them easily enough ;)

Thank you again, really great reading, and the silences are only cosmetics, and easy to correct.

Sonia
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

Kitty wrote: October 4th, 2018, 3:09 am :mrgreen: well to be fair, Tappan was often writing a "simplified" history for children, and this is probably an excerpt from one of her books, so the attitude is more "naive" in a way.

Anyway, your reading is excellent, I enjoyed it very much. :9: Intro and outro all perfect too, sound quality and technical settings all correct, no errors or omissions from the text. :thumbs:

I only have one tiny note to make:

> at 2:32: (p. 326): “beans, onions and other vegetables”: there’s a loud thump in this part which made me jump. Could you maybe re-record these five words or this sentence and replace it in your file ? (careful not to move the mic during recording ;) )

Please re-upload with the exact same filename, then the old file will get replaced by the new one.

Thanks for this great addition. :)

Sonia
Missed that when listening back, now fixed and hopefully the join isn't too noticeable! Noting your advice to the other new contributor I shaved half a second or so here and there from some 2s+ pauses and trimmed my final silence down to 5s from 8s :)

Nigel
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RufusNight wrote: October 4th, 2018, 7:16 amNoting your advice to the other new contributor I shaved half a second or so here and there from some 2s+ pauses and trimmed my final silence down to 5s from 8s :)
:hmm: no you didn't have 8 seconds at the end or I would have noted it down. To be sure, I re-checked the old file just now and you only had 4.5 seconds, which I let pass (we're not that picky LOL) and now that you trimmed it down, you only have 2 seconds left :( you need to put 3 more in again.

As for lengthy breaks in your section, I think I only noticed one that was around the 2 seconds mark and I let it pass, the rest was fine. There was nothing that needed trimming. Also, if you change anything, even the smallest thing in your file that I did not mention in my PL notes, pleeeeease note the exact time stamps down for me to check. After corrections, the prooflistener only needs to make a Spot PL of the time stamps that were noted in the PL notes. Now when you change something else, in order to make sure that you did not cut out part of the sentence by mistake, I need to listen to the whole file again :? This is then unnecessary time spent which could be avoided with the exact time-stamps.

I will do that tomorrow, as I'm a bit pressed for time this evening. In case you know the time stamps where you changed things please let me know, but to be on the safe side I probably will listen to it all again. But you could already reupload with the 5 seconds at the end ;)

thanks

Sonia
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

Kitty wrote: October 4th, 2018, 8:21 am
RufusNight wrote: October 4th, 2018, 7:16 amNoting your advice to the other new contributor I shaved half a second or so here and there from some 2s+ pauses and trimmed my final silence down to 5s from 8s :)
:hmm: no you didn't have 8 seconds at the end or I would have noted it down. To be sure, I re-checked the old file just now and you only had 4.5 seconds, which I let pass (we're not that picky LOL) and now that you trimmed it down, you only have 2 seconds left :( you need to put 3 more in again.

As for lengthy breaks in your section, I think I only noticed one that was around the 2 seconds mark and I let it pass, the rest was fine. There was nothing that needed trimming. Also, if you change anything, even the smallest thing in you file that I did not mention in my PL notes, pleeeeease note the exact time stamps down for me to check. After corrections, the prooflistener only needs to make a Spot PL of the time stamps that were noted in the PL notes. Now when you change something else, in order to make sure that you did not cut out part of the sentence by mistake, I need to listen to the whole file again :? This is then unnecessary time spent which could be avoided with the exact time-stamps.

I will do that tomorrow, as I'm a bit pressed for time this evening. In case you know the time stamps where you changed things please let me know, but to be on the safe side I probably will listen to it all again. But you could already reupload with the 5 seconds at the end ;)

thanks

Sonia
OOps I must have mis-read something else as seconds, sorry! I will get on this...
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

Uploaded an amended version.

Nigel