COMPLETE [ESSAYS] Twentieth Century Negro Literature-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
lubee930
Posts: 4525
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 15th, 2019, 11:08 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 11:01 pm
Thank you so much, Lucretia. This is a huge help!
You are most welcome--I know how real life sometimes intrudes upon all this fun! You will just have to update the MW for the sections that I PL. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

lubee930
Posts: 4525
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 16th, 2019, 6:43 pm

PhyllisV wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 7:07 am
Wow, this was a tough one. Much editing went on here, but I think it's now in pretty good shape -
Section 60
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_060_culp_128kb.mp3
43:31
Hi Phyllis--I am doing some PL'ing tonight. You did an excellent job on both of these sections! Thank you. :thumbs:

Section 60: PL OK
Section 61: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia

bhavya
Posts: 960
Joined: May 4th, 2018, 1:46 am
Location: Bangalore, India

Post by bhavya » July 16th, 2019, 9:57 pm


mightyfelix
Posts: 4015
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » July 17th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Thank you both! Section 98 is PL ok now. :)

lubee930
Posts: 4525
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 17th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Hi again Phyllis--Very nice work on all--thank you! :) Just one note for you:

Section 62:
----At ~18:52 I hear “…in India and Illinois” but it should be “…in Indiana and Illinois”

Section 63: PL OK
Section 64: PL OK
Section 65: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia

mightyfelix
Posts: 4015
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » July 17th, 2019, 7:22 pm

MW updated, thank you!

PhyllisV
Posts: 113
Joined: January 7th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Post by PhyllisV » July 18th, 2019, 8:50 am

lubee930 wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 7:20 pm
Hi again Phyllis--Very nice work on all--thank you! :) Just one note for you:

Section 62:
----At ~18:52 I hear “…in India and Illinois” but it should be “…in Indiana and Illinois”

Section 63: PL OK
Section 64: PL OK
Section 65: PL OK
Here is the corrected section 62 -

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_062_culp_128kb.mp3
20:48

mightyfelix
Posts: 4015
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » July 18th, 2019, 11:49 am

PhyllisV wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 8:50 am
Here is the corrected section 62 -

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_062_culp_128kb.mp3
20:48
PL ok now, thank you so much! :D

neecheelok70
Posts: 5776
Joined: April 4th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Post by neecheelok70 » July 18th, 2019, 4:37 pm

May I have 38 and 89. Jim

lubee930
Posts: 4525
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 18th, 2019, 4:54 pm

silverquill wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 9:36 pm
Here is Section 71
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_071_culp_128kb.mp3 11:42
This was a particularly interesting chapter hearing of Kerr's work in Haiti where I spend several years doing medical work. Still a desperately needy place.
I have the remainder of my sections recorded, so will try to squeeze in some editing time.
Thank you, Larry! :thumbs:

Section 71: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia

lubee930
Posts: 4525
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 18th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Mmemari wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 8:12 am
Hello,
I just uploaded:
Section 72; topic 21, 1st paper by Rev. J. H. Anderson
Duration: 00:09:28
Link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_072_culp_128.mp3
Mmemari wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 4:33 pm
Happy Fourth of July weekend! :clap:
I just uploaded section 73: Topic 21, 2nd Paper, by Prof. W.H. Councill, PHD.
Link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_073_culp_128.mp3
Duration: 00:18:25
-Mmemari
Hi Mari--Nice job on these sections--thank you! :)

Section 72: PL OK
Section 73: PL OK

I will mention that Section 72 was just on the lower edge of our acceptable volume at 86.1 dB--but it passed. So be careful not to go any quieter. (Section 73 was fine on the volume.)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

mightyfelix
Posts: 4015
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » July 18th, 2019, 5:11 pm

neecheelok70 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 4:37 pm
May I have 38 and 89. Jim
Thanks so much! All yours. For section 89, as the MW says, I would like the patent list included. I gave some specific instructions earlier in this thread about how to read this. Here it is again below, for your easy reference.
mightyfelix wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 11:20 am
Ok, so for the blank diagram, yes, go ahead and read that. The letter itself, I think, is enough context for people to understand what it is. So read the letter, then "Name" (pause) "Number" (pause) "Date" (pause) "Invention" (pause) Then continue with the next paragraph. They don't have to be long pauses, just enough to convey the idea of a fill-in-the-blank kind of thing.

For the list (which I know is super long, and I applaud your bravery in being willing to tackle it), omit the number, but include everything else. So it will start out: "Abrams, W. B. Hame Attachment. Apr, 14, 1891. Allen, C. W. Self-Leveling Table Nov. 1, 1898. Allen, J. B. Clothes Line Support Dec. 10, 1895." And so forth.
And we are now fully claimed once more! :D

lubee930
Posts: 4525
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 18th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Shasta wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Here are Sections 074 through 077
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_074_culp_128kb.mp3 Time: 21:05
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_075_culp_128kb.mp3 Time: 19:46
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_076_culp_128kb.mp3 Time: 18:11
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_077_culp_128kb.mp3 Time: 24:36
This has probably the most interesting of the books chapters of which I have recorded, reflecting the "Negro" view of things at the turn into the 20th century. My grandfather was an infantryman in the 114th Regiment, New York Volunteers, but I am pretty sure he volunteered to preserve "The Union" and not out of a passion to free the slaves.
Hi Russ--I've listened to two of these sections this evening, and I'll try to get to the other two tomorrow.

Section 74: PL OK
Section 75:
--The volume is fine in the first part of the recording, but beginning at ~9:42, the volume really drops off all the way to the end of the track. Could you please highlight that quiet portion (not the whole track--just the quiet portion), and then amplify by 6 dB--? If you are using Audacity to record: You can place the cursor at 9:42 in the track, then hold down the Shift key and hit the letter "K" to quickly highlight that quiet part of the track all the way to the end. Then do the amplification. It will be easier for all of our listeners if the volume is fairly consistent throughout the recording.

Let us know if you have any questions or need some help. And thanks for all of your hard work on this project! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

lubee930
Posts: 4525
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 19th, 2019, 9:38 pm

lubee930 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 9:28 pm
Shasta wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Here are Sections 074 through 077
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_074_culp_128kb.mp3 Time: 21:05
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_075_culp_128kb.mp3 Time: 19:46
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_076_culp_128kb.mp3 Time: 18:11
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_077_culp_128kb.mp3 Time: 24:36
This has probably the most interesting of the books chapters of which I have recorded, reflecting the "Negro" view of things at the turn into the 20th century. My grandfather was an infantryman in the 114th Regiment, New York Volunteers, but I am pretty sure he volunteered to preserve "The Union" and not out of a passion to free the slaves.
Hi Russ--I've listened to two of these sections this evening, and I'll try to get to the other two tomorrow.
Section 74: PL OK
Section 75:
--The volume is fine in the first part of the recording, but beginning at ~9:42, the volume really drops off all the way to the end of the track. Could you please highlight that quiet portion (not the whole track--just the quiet portion), and then amplify by 6 dB--? If you are using Audacity to record: You can place the cursor at 9:42 in the track, then hold down the Shift key and hit the letter "K" to quickly highlight that quiet part of the track all the way to the end. Then do the amplification. It will be easier for all of our listeners if the volume is fairly consistent throughout the recording.
Let us know if you have any questions or need some help. And thanks for all of your hard work on this project! :)
Hi again, Russ--I listened to the other two sections. Just one note for you--

Section 76:
--At ~13:39 I hear “…industrial attainment is not possible without such a limitation” but it should be “…industrial attainment is not possible with such a limitation”

Section 77: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia

lubee930
Posts: 4525
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 19th, 2019, 9:58 pm

neecheelok70 wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 11:31 am
Here is 79:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_079_culp_128kb.mp3 6.84 KB
7:17
Jim
neecheelok70 wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 12:40 pm
And here is #80:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_080_culp_128kb.mp3 16.18 KB
17:15
Jim
Hi Jim--I downloaded Sections 78, 79, and 80, and I think that Section 79 and Section 80 are identical files. it appears to me that you may have accidentally uploaded the Section 80 file to both Section 79 and Section 80. Could you check to see if you agree, and if yes--then could you please upload the correct file to Section 79--? I'll be doing more PL'ing tomorrow, so I look forward to hearing your sections then. Thanks! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

Post Reply