COMPLETE [ESSAYS] Twentieth Century Negro Literature-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I am currently editing Topic VI, First paper. It runs to almost an hour. In numerous places, the author quotes, verbatim, from a number of sources. My question is should I introduce these quotes with the word "quote" and end them with "unquote" or "end of quote." Personally, I think I should.
Russ Bruno
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Shasta wrote: April 5th, 2019, 4:29 pm I am currently editing Topic VI, First paper. It runs to almost an hour. In numerous places, the author quotes, verbatim, from a number of sources. My question is should I introduce these quotes with the word "quote" and end them with "unquote" or "end of quote." Personally, I think I should.
It's totally up to you. If you feel more comfortable saying it that way, feel free. Personally, I don't usually, but sometimes I will introduce and close quotes this way. It depends on what I'm reading. But it's really a reader decision.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

drandall wrote: March 31st, 2019, 8:40 pm Hi mightyfelix,

Topic 9, 4th Paper, Do you want me to read the following list of publications...if so in what way?

"In the following list of some of the principal publications of Prof. Turner, those marked with an asterisk are contributions to biology.

*Morphology of the Avian Brain; "Jour. of Comp. Neur." (1891), 100 pp. 8 pls.

*A Few Characteristics of the Avian Brain. "Science" (1891).

*Psychological Notes on the Gallery Spider. "Jour. of Comp. Neur." (1892).

*Notes on the Clodocera, Ostracoda and Rotifera of Cincinnati. "Bull. Sci. Lab. of Den. Univ." (1892), 17 pp., 2 pls.

*Additional Notes on the Clodocera and Ostracoda of Cincinnati, 18 pp., (1893), 2 pls. Ibid.

*Notes on the American Ostracoda. Ibid, 11 pp., 2 pls.

...etc, etc....
Ok, thanks so much for your patience while I was gone! I've given it some thought and done a bit of digging, and I'd like the list included, with the year and the name of the journals, but we can omit page numbers. The one journal that gave me some trouble was "Bull. Sci. Lab. of Den. Univ." :roll: But I eventually found it. I'd also like you to actually say the word "asterisk" where an asterisk appears, since the text does indicate a specific meaning attached to that. The entire list (to make things easy for you) should be about as follows:
*Morphology of the Avian Brain; "The Journal of Comparative Neurology" (1891)

*A Few Characteristics of the Avian Brain. "Science" (1891)

*Psychological Notes on the Gallery Spider. "The Journal of Comparative Neurology" (1892).

*Notes on the Clodocera, Ostracoda and Rotifera of Cincinnati. "Bulletin of the Scientific Laboratories of Denison University" (1892)

*Additional Notes on the Clodocera and Ostracoda of Cincinnati. "Bulletin of the Scientific Laboratories of Denison University" (1893)

*Notes on the American Ostracoda. "Bulletin of the Scientific Laboratories of Denison University" (1893)

*Preliminary Note on the Nervous System of the Genus Cypris. "The Journal of Comparative Neurology" (1893)

*Morphology of the Nervous System of Cypris. "The Journal of Comparative Neurology" (1896)

*Synopsis of the Entomostraca of Minnesota, etc., C. L. Herrick and C. H. Turner (1895) [C. H. Turner is only part author of this.]

Numerous abstracts and translations from German and French published in the Journal of Comparative Neurology

Reason for Teaching Biology in Negro Schools. "Southwestern Christian Advocate" (1897)

Object of Negro Memorial Day (1899)

New Year Thoughts About the Negro. "Southwestern Christian Advocate" (1899)

*Notes on the Mushroom Bodies of the Invertebrates. "Zoological Bulletin" (1899)

*A Male Erpetocypris Barbatus, Forbes. "Zoological Bulletin" (1899)

*Synopsis of North American Invertebrates: Fresh-Water Ostracoda. "The American Naturalist" (1899)

Living Dust. "Southwestern Christian Advocate" (1901)

*The Mushroom Bodies of the Crayfish and their Histological Environment. "The Journal of Comparative Neurology" (1901)
There are a few jaw-breakers in there, but just do your best on the scientific pronunciations. Most people won't know if you're right or wrong anyway. And don't forget to say "asterisk" each time you see one. :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

And I believe the MW is all up to date for this project! Thanks so much for all of the sections you've all turned in. It will take me some time to work through the PL backlog that built up while I was gone, so I'll ask for your continued patience as I try to catch up. :)

Let me know if I've missed something.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

drandall

Post by drandall »

mightyfelix wrote: April 9th, 2019, 10:31 pm
drandall wrote: March 31st, 2019, 8:40 pm Hi mightyfelix,

Topic 9, 4th Paper, Do you want me to read the following list of publications...if so in what way?

"In the following list of some of the principal publications of Prof. Turner, those marked with an asterisk are contributions to biology.

*Morphology of the Avian Brain; "Jour. of Comp. Neur." (1891), 100 pp. 8 pls.

*A Few Characteristics of the Avian Brain. "Science" (1891).

*Psychological Notes on the Gallery Spider. "Jour. of Comp. Neur." (1892).

*Notes on the Clodocera, Ostracoda and Rotifera of Cincinnati. "Bull. Sci. Lab. of Den. Univ." (1892), 17 pp., 2 pls.

*Additional Notes on the Clodocera and Ostracoda of Cincinnati, 18 pp., (1893), 2 pls. Ibid.

*Notes on the American Ostracoda. Ibid, 11 pp., 2 pls.

...etc, etc....
Ok, thanks so much for your patience while I was gone! I've given it some thought and done a bit of digging, and I'd like the list included, with the year and the name of the journals, but we can omit page numbers. The one journal that gave me some trouble was "Bull. Sci. Lab. of Den. Univ." :roll: But I eventually found it. I'd also like you to actually say the word "asterisk" where an asterisk appears, since the text does indicate a specific meaning attached to that. The entire list (to make things easy for you) should be about as follows:
*Morphology of the Avian Brain; "The Journal of Comparative Neurology" (1891)

*A Few Characteristics of the Avian Brain. "Science" (1891)

*Psychological Notes on the Gallery Spider. "The Journal of Comparative Neurology" (1892).

*Notes on the Clodocera, Ostracoda and Rotifera of Cincinnati. "Bulletin of the Scientific Laboratories of Denison University" (1892)

*Additional Notes on the Clodocera and Ostracoda of Cincinnati. "Bulletin of the Scientific Laboratories of Denison University" (1893)

*Notes on the American Ostracoda. "Bulletin of the Scientific Laboratories of Denison University" (1893)

*Preliminary Note on the Nervous System of the Genus Cypris. "The Journal of Comparative Neurology" (1893)

*Morphology of the Nervous System of Cypris. "The Journal of Comparative Neurology" (1896)

*Synopsis of the Entomostraca of Minnesota, etc., C. L. Herrick and C. H. Turner (1895) [C. H. Turner is only part author of this.]

Numerous abstracts and translations from German and French published in the Journal of Comparative Neurology

Reason for Teaching Biology in Negro Schools. "Southwestern Christian Advocate" (1897)

Object of Negro Memorial Day (1899)

New Year Thoughts About the Negro. "Southwestern Christian Advocate" (1899)

*Notes on the Mushroom Bodies of the Invertebrates. "Zoological Bulletin" (1899)

*A Male Erpetocypris Barbatus, Forbes. "Zoological Bulletin" (1899)

*Synopsis of North American Invertebrates: Fresh-Water Ostracoda. "The American Naturalist" (1899)

Living Dust. "Southwestern Christian Advocate" (1901)

*The Mushroom Bodies of the Crayfish and their Histological Environment. "The Journal of Comparative Neurology" (1901)
There are a few jaw-breakers in there, but just do your best on the scientific pronunciations. Most people won't know if you're right or wrong anyway. And don't forget to say "asterisk" each time you see one. :D
Will do :thumbs:
Thanks,
drandall
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, since everyone has been so wonderful in submitting your sections, and I have something like a dozen of them waiting for PL, I'm just going to go through in order of appearance in the book, rather than in order of submission. It makes things much easier for me. So I'm sorry for those of you who have sections towards the end of the book. I'm getting to you as fast as I can.

Phyllis, thank you for section 10! This was another surprising position to hear. Again, your clear and measured voice made it a pleasure to listen! I have a few notes for you, one of which is rather significant.

12:25 I hear "...the inhabitants were successfully termed Canaanites and Phoenicians..." This word should be successively. This is an optional edit, as it isn't really that noticeable, and doesn't have much bearing on the main point here.
I'm not sure what happened at 17:35, but there are several paragraphs missing. :? Everything in bold, below, needs to be inserted:
...the daughter of Pharaoh, King of Egypt.

In the sixty-eighth Psalm we have a prophecy which connects Egypt with Ethiopia, as follows: "Princes shall come out of Egypt. Ethiopia shall soon stretch forth her hands unto God."

Rollin, in speaking of the fact, that all callings in Egypt were honorable, gives this as a probable reason: "That as they all descended from Ham, their common father, the memory of their still recent origin, occurring to the minds of all in those first ages, established among them a kind of equality, and stamped in their opinion a nobility on every person descended from the common stock."

Again, treating of the history of the Kings of Egypt, Rollin says: "The ancient history of Egypt comprises two thousand one hundred and fifty-eight years; and is naturally divided into three periods. The first begins with the establishment of the Egyptian monarchy by Menes or Mizraim the son of Ham, in the year of the world 1816." On the next page he says of Ham: "He had four children, Cush, Mizraim, Phut and Canaan." After speaking of the settlements of the other sons he returns to Mizraim and says: "He is allowed to be the same as Menes, whom all historians declare to be the first king of Egypt."

In speaking of the sons of Ham...
21:44 I hear "But the limit allowed this article has not been reached." Text says, "But the limit allowed this article has been reached."
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I only have one note for section 13:

0:30 I hear "Topic 3, Second Paper." This is topic 3, third paper.

One word of caution, though. At times, there was a lot of unusual volume fluctuation in this recording, sometimes making you sound muffled or far off. You can hear it especially in the first three minutes or so. Everything was still intelligible, so no need to rerecord anything, but I wanted to mention it anyway. I'm not sure what would cause this. Perhaps you did some noise reduction or compression or something with an aggressive setting? If you have an idea of how to avoid this, that would be great. Otherwise, I won't worry about it unless it gets worse.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Section 15 PL ok! :D
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Can I have 74 to 80?
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

I'd like to claim sections 41 - 44. Thank you.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you both. MW updated.