COMPLETE[PLAY]The Gay Lord Quex by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 3 ready for spot PL. I think your suggestions improve it nicely.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 30th, 2018, 10:26 am Act 3 ready for spot PL. I think your suggestions improve it nicely.
totally PL ok now. And the servants are a lot better now. :thumbs: Yes now the pacing is quicker in some crucial parts, I think it was the right call to sacrifice those stage directions.

Cool, one act finished. :9:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have act 4 assembled now, but not ready for PL until Frayne is done and inserted.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have act 2 assembled except for Frayne.

Starting on Act 1.

Thanks, Todd
jonathanhartwell

Post by jonathanhartwell »

Hi! Here is Act 1 of Sir Chichester Frayne's lines. The file is 6:14 in length. Thanks so much!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_[frayne]_[1]_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jonathanhartwell wrote: January 7th, 2019, 12:34 pm Hi! Here is Act 1 of Sir Chichester Frayne's lines. The file is 6:14 in length. Thanks so much!
and there was great rejoicing throughout the land :mrgreen: thanks, Jonathan. I will PL it soon, to let you know feedback. With a bit of luck everything is fine on the first go and then Todd can finish assembling the act while I'm sleeping :lol:

stay tuned !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jonathanhartwell wrote: January 7th, 2019, 12:34 pm Hi! Here is Act 1 of Sir Chichester Frayne's lines. The file is 6:14 in length. Thanks so much!

and I listened to Frayne, and this was an absolutely brilliant performance :thumbs: Your snobbish, but languishing best buddy has a touch of Rupert Everett, which is not at all a bad choice. 8-) I loved the hand kissing and the little chuckles and tuts. Wonderful job for your first drama role. Already I'm looking forward to the next act. :9:

Only one thing needs correcting:

> for the voice credit, can you please say the entire description as stated in the MW ? "Sir Chichester Frayne, Governor of Uumbos, West Coast of Africa, read by Jonathan Hartwell". That way we don't need to insert the narrator into your voice credit.

No need to reupload this act, simply add it to Act 2 :) This one is then PL ok.

oh and for the file naming, you don't need the brackets, that was only for the template ;) simply: gaylordquex_frayne_1_128kb will be good. It's not that important for drama, as your file will be deleted once Todd has assembled it all, but careful for the other projects.

Thank you for this excellent contribution.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am so excited to be ready to listen to this and cut it into the master Act 1 file tonight (or tomorrow, I suppose).

Great.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Missing a Valma line from near the end of Act 1:

Valma. May I?

Separate file, please.

Thanks, Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 1 ready for final PL except for Frayne voice credit. You'all sound great together!!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 7th, 2019, 7:08 pmAct 1 ready for final PL except for Frayne voice credit. You'all sound great together!!
I totally second this statement :9: a wonderfully assembled first act !!!! I marvel again at how well the voices are fitting to the respective characters. The wooing scene between Tomas and Devorah was really an excellent highlight in this act, but I liked every minute of it. :thumbs: Crafty merging of voices at the end, Todd.

I see you have cut some stage directions already and I agree with all of them. Moreover, I have a few more cutting suggestions here again :mrgreen: Again here, mainly the pace of some of the dialogues is greatly improved if we cut the stage interruptions here:

> at 0:29: missing voice credit for Frayne

> at 28:45: QUEX. [Dryly.] Yes. – your “Yes” definitely is dry enough to cut this ;)

> at 30:09: QUEX. Came to town by the first train in the morning – I’m sorry I missed this detail in the initial PL. :oops: This probably happened because I was listening to it all out of context. You said “first train this morning” which is completely wrong considering the timeline. This wooing has been going on for quite some time already. Only a few lines later Quex will say that within a month he was engaged, so it can’t be that he only asked his aunt for help this morning. Maybe it’s trivial and probably optional, but if you would like to quickly correct this sentence, that might be less confusing :?

> at 32:12: QUEX. [A little impatiently.] Naturally.

> at 33:14: QUEX. [Rather irritably.] I say, all of them.

> at 34:13: QUEX. [Shortly.] Perhaps.

> at 34:18: QUEX. [With dignity.] Yes, I do – would be best that you really fall into his speech and cut him off

> at 40:45: SOPHY. [Impatiently.] Oh! pooh!

> at 42:35: MURIEL. [Haughtily. Towards you and your—!

> at 42.42: SOPHY. [In hot scorn.] His rank! – this dialogue definitely will gain tempo without the narrator

> at 42:52: MURIEL. [In horror.] Sophy!

> at 43:10: SOPHY. [Hastily.] No, no, no. – also here, Sophy cutting off Muriel abruptly would be better

> at 43:36: MURIEL. [Imperatively.] Sophy!

> at 43:39: SOPHY. [Reluctantly.] Oh, well—

these are my suggestions. I'll wait for Frayne's voice credit before I Spot PL it once more.

Thanks

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks. I will fix these, including rerecording the words at 30:09 - they do confuse. (How will I get the rotten audio quality I had before the new mic?)

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 8th, 2019, 5:41 am(How will I get the rotten audio quality I had before the new mic?)
:lol: I was thinking almost the same thing (I didn't use the word "rotten" though) but I thought now with the Blue Yeti, your audio will be highly improved. Maybe re-read the entire "chunk" at this point, then it won't be too noticeable.

Sonia