COMPLETE[PLAY]The Gay Lord Quex by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TriciaG wrote: August 21st, 2018, 1:41 pm I was hoping to get away without it, but cannot.

How does one pronounce "Quex" :roll:
:lol: I am having the same hopes. But I was thinking like "quacks" if I have to do it.

Sonia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this has two renderings: a "quacks"-ish one, and one like the X is missing, a kind of "Kwuh". :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_ladyowbridge_2_128kb.mp3
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: August 21st, 2018, 1:41 pm I was hoping to get away without it, but cannot.

I second this!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

My vote is like "Checks".

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

How funny that we all have such different ideas! I was leaning towards "Kay." :lol:

I'll use "Checks."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 21st, 2018, 4:52 pmMy vote is like "Checks".
I find it unusual to turn a "qu" sound into a "ch" sound, but since you are "the man in question", I think I'll use that pronunciation too then. If ever I have to.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

For the recording I have already submitted I said "kw-ex" rhyming with "checks".
This has been PL OKed by Sonia.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 1:04 am For the recording I have already submitted I said "kw-ex" rhyming with "checks".
This has been PL OKed by Sonia.
don't worry, Alan, I predict there will be plenty of different pronunciations for his lordship's name here :lol: I remember a particular Pinero play where we ended up with at least 5 or 6 different pronunciations for the name Imogen :mrgreen: I didn't even know one could pronounce it that many ways.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TriciaG wrote: August 21st, 2018, 1:52 pm OK, this has two renderings: a "quacks"-ish one, and one like the X is missing, a kind of "Kwuh". :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_ladyowbridge_2_128kb.mp3
great job on the second act as well, Tricia :thumbs: All PL ok and the dear old lady is really growing on me. She is a bit prim, but she means well. :mrgreen: I like the way you portray her.

Meanwhile I have finished recording my remaining acts, and I didn't have to say Quex one single time :lol: The 4th act is already finished, I only had a short final farewell scene (bitter-sweet :cry: )

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_duchess_strood_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 0:53 min.

The romantic in me is hoping that this is not going to be the final chapter for Quex and Sidonia.

Need to edit the 3rd act still, that was a bit more... a wonderful scene though. :9:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 12:10 am
I find it unusual to turn a "qu" sound into a "ch" sound, but since you are "the man in question", I think I'll use that pronunciation too then. If ever I have to.

Sonia
No! I did not mean for the "ch" sound in the actual name - I was just trying to explain the "-ecks" with a recognizable word. I think that "Kwecks" is the right phonetics.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 5:15 am No! I did not mean for the "ch" sound in the actual name - I was just trying to explain the "-ecks" with a recognizable word. I think that "Kwecks" is the right phonetics.
oh ok :lol: I totally had a blackout there. Of course, it makes much more sense that way.

Thanks for clarification, and yes, Kwecks was my first choice as well. Alas...I didn't get to say it.

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 5:15 am
Kitty wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 12:10 am

Sonia
No! I did not mean for the "ch" sound in the actual name - I was just trying to explain the "-ecks" with a recognizable word. I think that "Kwecks" is the right phonetics.

Thanks, Todd
:thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TriciaG wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 7:25 amFinal file for Lady Owbridge: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_ladyowbridge_4_128kb.mp3
also PL ok. Wonderful, the first role to be completed :clap: Excellent job, Tricia. Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here's what the Duchess was hoping to be her romantic last evening with Quex. How bitterly she has been disappointed. I really enjoyed reading for this role :9: I hope it is to your liking, Todd.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_duchess_strood_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 12:46 min.

Now looking forward to all the rest coming in :)

Sonia