COMPLETE[PLAY]The Gay Lord Quex by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok I saw you posted your final act so I got back in the saddle and PLed this part as well. So Todd can edit the final act while I am sleeping :lol:
jonathanhartwell wrote: January 14th, 2019, 2:13 pmAs for the knight, I think that I am more like the bunny: don't underestimate me. I may be cute, but I'm deadly. :mrgreen:
the Killer Rabbit is a cult scene !!!!! :thumbs:
I included the part where Frayne sniffs the perfume bottle. I don't know if it was really necessary. Kind of loses something without the visuals. After a night of bacchanalian drinking, seems more like he's noticed that he's a little ripe! :P
haha yes I see what you mean. Well we have extensive stage directions in that place and I don't think these will get cut out, because they convey more of the visuals, but it was a nice touch. Maybe Todd will find a place to include it. As for the hiccup - this one sounds really life-like :mrgreen: yes Frayne good humour seems to have vanished, the champagne takes its toll. There's nothing he can find alluring anymore. But you played his hung-over grumpiness just as well. Good job and totally PL ok.
Please let me know if there's anything that needs amending! I just want to say: great first project to work on. Looking forward to many more! :D
oh wow and this was your very first play :shock: I completely forgot that again, but you're right. Well, you can be proud of this debut. And I see you over in the Country Wife. Different setting, different character ;) do your worst.

Todd: Act 4 ready to roll...

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 14th, 2019, 2:22 pm Todd: I finished listening to Act 2, it's the last thing I wanted to do tonight. :D Wonderful setting and wonderful dialogue combinations. The flirting scene with Sophy and Quex is absolute genius and then the duchess making Quex totally cringe only a moment later is a great contrasting scene.

In this scene nearly all of the actors are present and I marvel at how well they were all cast :thumbs:

Here a few suggestions for the cutting floor:

> at 23:40: SOPHY. [Faintly.] Yes.
> at 25:44: POLLITT. [Loftily.] My engagement-book is always full
> at 32:49: DUCHESS. [Intensely, in a low voice.] Harry, do you remember a particular evening at Stockholm?
> at 32:57: QUEX. [Hazily.] Stockholm?
> at 34:05: [Impressively.] It is in this very house.
> at 40:11: FRAYNE. [Alertly.] Where?
> at 41:18: MURIEL. [Calmly.] Yes?
> at 43:56: DUCHESS. [Sweetly.] You are delighted,
> at 44:24: DUCHESS. [Blandly.] Approve?
> at 47:03: SOPHY. [Modestly.] Oh, I never feel like Miss Fullgarney out of my business
> at 47:17: DUCHESS. [Hesitatingly.] Oh—oh, by all means

only one act left :9:

Sonia
I made all the changes as suggested.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Frayne is in Act 4 now. I need to listen and groom to the act - maybe it'll be ready by morning for final PL.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 14th, 2019, 3:02 pm I made all the changes as suggested.
:thumbs: PL ok, sounds great !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 4 ready for final PL!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 15th, 2019, 6:53 amAct 4 ready for final PL!
yay, I was hoping to still hear it this afternoon :9: awesome ending. I especially love Sophy when she totally loses her temper with Quex and Frayne :lol: And Muriel's tearful performance was wonderfully acted out as well. Guys, you were ALL brilliant !!!! I have the feeling I'm saying this at the end of each Pinero play but it's true, I think Pinero must simply bring out the best in all of us. :9:

You made drastic cuttings here on the stage directions, but I agree with all of them and would have a few more suggestions. I'm gonna have food now but I can Spot check this evening and then it's ready to archive :D

> at 24:58: SOPHY. [Indignantly.] Well, of all the liberties—!
> at 25:02: QUEX. [Angrily.] Frayne!
> at 28:59: SOPHY. [Significantly.] I know how she feels to-day

wonderful assembling job, Todd !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I like the suggestions and have taken them. Ready for spot PL.

And as Sonia says - wonderful job by all of you!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 15th, 2019, 8:15 am I like the suggestions and have taken them. Ready for spot PL.
aaaaand Spot PL ok. :clap: It's a wrap. Another wonderful addition to the catalogue.

I hope to hear you all in the next Pinero !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This project is complete. Audio files can be found in our catalog at: https://librivox.org/the-gay-lord-quex-by-arthur-wing-pinero/

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've listened through Act 2, and I have to agree with Sonia's comments. Casting worked out very well for this one. I love when that happens! I've enjoyed this one very much, both recording for it and now listening to us all together. There have been quite a few laugh out loud funny moments already. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest tomorrow. :9: Great job, everyone!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yay! I look forward to hearing it!