[COMPLETE] K. by Mary Roberts Rinehart - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
MickyMe
Posts: 35
Joined: February 26th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Post by MickyMe » August 20th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Here is the revealing chapter 5:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/k_rinehart_128k.mp3
duration: 15:36

I think there was a annotation at 11:11, which I omitted.
The text given is:
"Sidney fell into the river. "

This was a demanding reading. Maybe it would be better if I stay with short stories for the moment.
LibriVox Baby

Elizabby
Posts: 9235
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » August 20th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Thanks - you're the first to submit your chapter, so don't sell yourself short! ;)

Also, this is why I put the word counts in the MW - chapters 8 and 24 are shorter ones, if you wanted to read something shorter?

linhmb
Posts: 2
Joined: August 21st, 2018, 9:45 am

Post by linhmb » August 21st, 2018, 9:32 pm

Could I read chapter 6?

Elizabby
Posts: 9235
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » August 21st, 2018, 10:22 pm

Chapter 6 is quite long for a first read, I'd suggest Chapter 8 as a better choice...

In any case before recording anything for a project please do your 1 min test as detailed in your welcome email or in the introductory forum and Wiki.

Once your test is OK, please come back here and confirm which chapter you would like to read. This is a long book, there will still be chapters for you! ;)

jenniferrd
Posts: 822
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » August 22nd, 2018, 4:21 am

MickyMe wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 11:34 pm
Here is the revealing chapter 5:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/k_rinehart_128k.mp3
duration: 15:36

I think there was a annotation at 11:11, which I omitted.
The text given is:
"Sidney fell into the river. "

This was a demanding reading. Maybe it would be better if I stay with short stories for the moment.
I think you read marvelously. Even with such a demanding read, I hope you will continue, as you have a great reading voice! There is just a few things to correct:

There are a few longer pauses, most are just under where I would mention them:
11:08, there is a 3.5 second pause that needs to be shortened. As a listener, it's can get confusing with longer pauses.
At 13:38, there is a double word that is not in the text - it reads "It occurred at one moment" and I heard "it occurred at....at one moment."

**Just a question for Elizabby, I notice you already have a note on the file name, but there is also not the chapter number, should he add it, so it's k_05_rinehart_128kb.mp3

Elizabby
Posts: 9235
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » August 22nd, 2018, 5:43 am

Yes please do add the "0" in front of the chapter number! It makes the chapters sort themselves correctly for any project with more than 10 chapters.

So the idea is that you (the reader) make the corrections on your original audio file, then you re-export and upload the new file with the new length (and corrected filename) for checking at the time stamps by the DPL. The file length is a quick way to tell if we are looking at the old file or the new one, as the filenames are usually the same, though in this case they won't be.

Hope all is clear - post here with any questions!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 31967
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » August 22nd, 2018, 6:45 am

Just a helpful hint - start making corrections from the end , that way the time stamps will be accurate which does make editing easier

MickyMe
Posts: 35
Joined: February 26th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Post by MickyMe » August 23rd, 2018, 12:52 am

Here is the revised chapter 5:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/k_05_rinehart_128kb.mp3
duration 15:13

correction 1
13:07 "So it occurred that at one moment..."

correction 2
remove one particular long silence, then truncate silence in most of the audio by 80% - an Audacity effect.

correction 3
name file properly: k_05_rinehart_128kb.mp3

Thank you all for your comments and kindness.
LibriVox Baby

Elizabby
Posts: 9235
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » August 23rd, 2018, 3:27 am

Thanks! This file is now in the MW for spot checking!

jenniferrd
Posts: 822
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » August 23rd, 2018, 3:59 am

MickyMe wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 12:52 am
Here is the revised chapter 5:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/k_05_rinehart_128kb.mp3
duration 15:13

correction 1
13:07 "So it occurred that at one moment..."

correction 2
remove one particular long silence, then truncate silence in most of the audio by 80% - an Audacity effect.

correction 3
name file properly: k_05_rinehart_128kb.mp3

Thank you all for your comments and kindness.
That was delightful! I listened to it again! Do consider taking another chapter!

Chapter 5 - Spot PL - OK!

jenniferrd
Posts: 822
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » August 23rd, 2018, 4:01 am

annise wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 6:45 am
Just a helpful hint - start making corrections from the end , that way the time stamps will be accurate which does make editing easier
Great advice!

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9284
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » August 26th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Chapter 3 recorded. This will be the first recording since I moved at the end of June - I think I have the room acoustics under control and avoided the worst of the cicada din.

Must edit.

Thanks, Todd

2839reader
Posts: 859
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Post by 2839reader » September 1st, 2018, 10:25 pm

Chapters 8-11 please to read.
Signature: KATHLEEN

Elizabby
Posts: 9235
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » September 1st, 2018, 11:29 pm

Lovely! Thanks!

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9284
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » September 4th, 2018, 7:36 am

ToddHW wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 12:36 pm
Chapter 3 recorded. This will be the first recording since I moved at the end of June - I think I have the room acoustics under control and avoided the worst of the cicada din.

Must edit.

Thanks, Todd
But now I have to add getting a new computer and new Audacity into the process as well....

Thanks, Todd

Post Reply