[COMPLETE] Troilus and Cressida by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The History of Troilus and Cressida (version 2) by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-history-of-troilus-and-cressida-version-2-by-william-shakespeare/
<I>The History of Troilus and Cressida</i> has long baffled critics and audiences alike for its inconsistent tone, which ranges from bawdy comedy to somber tragedy, as well as its decidedly unheroic and unsympathetic cast of characters. It is also a work with a multivalent focus, jumping between different subplots and locations so that even the titular characters become lost in the shuffle of warcraft, manipulation, betrayal, and thwarted machismo. Not only do we follow the young Trojan warrior Troilus on his quest to woo the noncommittal Cressida, but also the Greek leader Agamemnon and his plot to sway the proud Achilles into battle, as well as the scurrilous fool Thersites, who rails against the hypocrisy of everyone involved in a war born (and continued) out of vanity and a bunch of overactive libidos. It is a play that caustically skewers the romance and valour of the Trojan War, as told by the likes of Homer, Chaucer, and Lydgate, while experimenting with the dramatic form in such a way that modern resonances can be found even today.<br><br>And to perform it all? Three men (<a href="https://librivox.org/reader/11305">Craig Franklin</a>, <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10789">Tomas Peter</a>, and <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/9905">Brad "Hamlet" Filippone</a>) and one woman (<a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10179">Sonia</a>), determined to give you a performance of this peculiar "problem play" that you will never forget. You thought you knew your Shakespeare? Well, think again! ( Tomas Peter)
Pronunciation files are linked in the Magic Window.

The word Trojan will also be pronounced as "Tro-yan."

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1528
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per scene.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of The History of Troilus and Cressida by William Shakespeare. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      troilusandcressida_[role]_[#_#].mp3 (all lower-case) where the first # is the act number and the second # is the scene number (e.g. troilusandcressida_cressida_1_2.mp3)

For the final acts, save files as: troilusandcressida_[#]_shakespeare_128kb, where the # is the act number (e.g. troilusandcressida_1_shakespeare_128kb).

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by WiltedScribe on October 27th, 2018, 4:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tomas Peter
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Hector Thersites Diomedes Agamemnon Alexander Prologue Servant Third Soldier reporting for reading duties!

Brad
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Excited to start another round of Shakespeare with the quartet. :9:

Just waiting for Sonia to return, so the MW can be set up. Tomorrow or Wednesday, whenever she's ready. No rush!
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'm ba-ack :mrgreen: I really didn't think we would make it today...so much traffic, so hot and in the end a big thunderstorm with hailstones. Everything was out to prevent our returning home but we braved it all. I'm glad to be back safely. And bunny is feeling fine :9:

So here is your MW, Tomas. Do you really want 190 sections ? :shock: So I guess this time we use the "usual" drama layout ? Fine with me.

Let the fun begin !!!! Please post the name pronunciations as soon as you can, so I can start. But first I will finish my backlog PL jobs...though not tonight.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

WELCOME BACK, SONIA!!!!! :birthday: :birthday: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Sorry that the first thing you had to do on your return was launch a new MW with 190 sections... I had quite forgotten we used HTML and embedded the character files in the 'Notes' section. :oops: Forgive me for forgetting; King Lear was quite a while ago. On the plus side, I'll be able to embed the pronunciation files in the 'Title' sections. Whichever play we do next probably won't require such files, so we can return to the HTML method.

I will begin to fill out the MW soon.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: August 7th, 2018, 2:37 pmSorry that the first thing you had to do on your return was launch a new MW with 190 sections... I had quite forgotten we used HTML and embedded the character files in the 'Notes' section. :oops: Forgive me for forgetting
no problem, it's just I have to delete so many unused sections in the end, to only keep 5 acts :help: so the other version would have been easier.

But it's done now...I'll deal with the deleting in the end. :lol:

Sonia
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello!
Welcome back, Kitty!
I'm fascinated by this process and if I may have it, I'd very much like the part of Cassandra.
Though brief, she is intense, and I've long wished to give voice to her.
Of course, if this project is more for more practiced readers, I will certainly withdraw the askance. *Smile*

Hope you are well,
~Angelique
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I've finally populated the MW! Well, the roles, anyway. I'm driving home from my cottage soon, so I will link the pronunciation files when I get home. At least everyone can now see the relative spread of voices for each scene, and plan ahead as to how to differentiate them. I apologize in advance to Sonia for looking like she only has a cameo in many scenes, but I can assure her she has a very juicy role in Cressida (and, to a lesser extent, Cassandra).
BurgundyGrace wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:34 pm Hello!
Welcome back, Kitty!
I'm fascinated by this process and if I may have it, I'd very much like the part of Cassandra.
Though brief, she is intense, and I've long wished to give voice to her.
Of course, if this project is more for more practiced readers, I will certainly withdraw the askance. *Smile*

Hope you are well,
Hi Angelique! I'm afraid this project is already fully cast, as you can see by the [FULL] designation in the title. We've been doing Shakespeare quartets for a year now, and this is already the sixth entry in the "collection." There's always a possibility that someone will launch another group Shakespeare in the future, which would be open to all volunteers, so don't lose hope! And, who knows, maybe we will allow people to "cameo" in future projects, too. We still have plenty of Shakespeare left to cover! :)
Tomas Peter
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Wonderful!
Thank you, Sonia; it wasn't listed as [FULL] when I saw it, but I noticed it quickly after posting, so perhaps it was still in posting process.
No real idea of why that may be, but please know that I do look; I do not wish to create more difficulty for you or others who contribute so widely to LV, so I check through everything (Or at least such is my intention. :wink: . Your efforts are not in vain. *smile*
I'm certain that with your coordination, and many seasoned volunteers, this will be a fantastic project!
~Angelique
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Alright, guys, the pronunciation files are up. They are linked to the first scene in which each character appears, except for the non-speaking Antenor, whose file is linked below the catalog summary. Not every character has one, since some names have self-evident pronunciations.

We'll leave the slots for the edited scenes and acts unassigned for now, so that everyone can use their reader pages as guides as to how many sections need to be done. We will definitely go back to the more compact MW for the next play, however. For Sonia's sake, and mine. :lol:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BurgundyGrace wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:36 pm it wasn't listed as [FULL] when I saw it, but I noticed it quickly after posting, so perhaps it was still in posting process.
I'm sorry, Angelique, that we didn't immediately flag it as full. I also should have moved it to Readers Found immediately, but I was too tired yesterday to think straight. It's a wonder I didn't make more mistakes :lol:

But as Tomas said, this is a little quirky project where we do the Shakespeare plays in a very small group. It should give the flair back to when many stage roles had been played by the same actor and it gives us opportunity to change our voices (a lot :lol: )

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

So I hope Craig will find the link now, because I am going to move it to Readers Found !

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Kitty wrote: August 8th, 2018, 1:19 am So I hope Craig will find the link now, because I am going to move it to Readers Found !

Sonia
Hi Sonia
I found the link!!! :clap:
Hope you had a good holiday....
I'm on a short break in that country 'with a tree and cave', but looking forward to getting started properly when I get back.

I have been visiting a town called 'Hay on Wye', that is the book centre of the UK. I have picked up a couple of spare copies of various Shakespeare plays for my notes and....(you'll love this!) a copy of the BBC production of T&C.

Cheers
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: August 8th, 2018, 2:33 amI'm on a short break in that country 'with a tree and cave'
:lol: I see, well have fun. I hope you have good weather
I have been visiting a town called 'Hay on Wye', that is the book centre of the UK. I have picked up a couple of spare copies of various Shakespeare plays for my notes and....(you'll love this!) a copy of the BBC production of T&C.
aha, you can tell us if the names are pronounced the same way then ;)

Looking forward to starting this but first I will finish my backlog PL jobs. I started with 32 sections today....a few are down already.

Sonia
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Awww, Tomas and Sonia.

Thank you for your kindness; of course, I wasn't complaining. I'm simply confused ... as so often here on LV. :lol: BUT I do learn more every time I'm on so ... in about 20 years maybe I'll figure it out. :lol: In the meantime, your help is so great that I've encouraged others to learn the wonders of the offerings here.

In fact, if someone told me that I had to coordinate a 190 section project, I'd HAVE to say "Hm. Ya know what? I think I'd rather just go fight the Trojans. Or the Greeks. Or well, just about anything that would foreshorten the toil and puzzlement of THAT work.
Ohhh, a different knotted sail for me!" :lol:

Yes, yes. The application of voice dynamics ... one of the true marvels of our age!
I look forward to hearing more!

Best,
~Angelique