(6:50) 5.14 I heard: ἀναστρέφαιο Written: ἀναστρέφοιο

(10:43) 5.22 I heard: τοῦτον Written: τοῦτο

(14:38) 5.31 I heard: στρατηγοὶν Written: στρατηγοὶ

(19:21) 5.41 I heard: πέμψαντε Written:πέμψατε

(29:11) 6.23 Loud clicks at likely edit point
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Section 8 (33:07) ready for spot PL.

Fantastic job, Ariphron! Thank you very much! When it is convenient to you, could you please spot check the parts where you heard my mistakes? It should be OK now.
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Bedwere, it’s great to be your proof listener! Your recording of the Phillpotts adaptation is one that I have listened to in its entirety, much of it several times. I’ve long been in awe of how systematically you keep up with your projects, posting new installments week in, week out, often for years.

There were some points that I made notes of, but did not post, as they did not seem to be within the scope of standard proof-listening. Most of these were in categories that xenophontic has already pointed out:
Neutral vowels added to break up consonant clusters;
Rough breathing for smooth breathing;
vowel length.

If you would like me to include any of these categories in my notes, please let me know. I have followed the principle that if there are commonly used pronuciation systems that don’t distinguish certain sounds, I shouldn’t be picky about them.

If, in the interest of continuous improvement, there are adjustments you are trying to make to your pronunciation, let me know and I’ll skip ahead to PL your newest section with particular attention to what you’re working on. The adjustments that I would find most helpful are:
1. υ. According to the chart, you follow an Erasmian system with υ as /y/, but half the time it comes out as /u/. I don’t see any system behind when you prefer one pronunciation vs. the other. If you pronounce it more consistently as /y/, that would prevent confusion with ου. Should there be a nuanced rule you are trying to follow here, I’d like to know what it is. (I myself try to pronounce υ as /y/, except when it is short and adjacent to a back vowel, in which case it becomes /u/, as for example δύο.)
2. η. You usually make it short when unstressed. I would prefer it always long.

My current plan is to PL Book 4 next (because I’ve studied Geoffrey Steadman’s annotated edition of Books 1 and 4), and then get back to Book 3 afterwards. Are you aware of annotated student editions comparable to Steadman’s, or Jerram’s Book 2, for the other books?
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Section 8 Spot PL OK!
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Ariphron wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 11:30 pm Bedwere, it’s great to be your proof listener! Your recording of the Phillpotts adaptation is one that I have listened to in its entirety, much of it several times. I’ve long been in awe of how systematically you keep up with your projects, posting new installments week in, week out, often for years.

There were some points that I made notes of, but did not post, as they did not seem to be within the scope of standard proof-listening. Most of these were in categories that xenophontic has already pointed out:
Neutral vowels added to break up consonant clusters;
Rough breathing for smooth breathing;
vowel length.

If you would like me to include any of these categories in my notes, please let me know. I have followed the principle that if there are commonly used pronuciation systems that don’t distinguish certain sounds, I shouldn’t be picky about them.

If, in the interest of continuous improvement, there are adjustments you are trying to make to your pronunciation, let me know and I’ll skip ahead to PL your newest section with particular attention to what you’re working on. The adjustments that I would find most helpful are:
1. υ. According to the chart, you follow an Erasmian system with υ as /y/, but half the time it comes out as /u/. I don’t see any system behind when you prefer one pronunciation vs. the other. If you pronounce it more consistently as /y/, that would prevent confusion with ου. Should there be a nuanced rule you are trying to follow here, I’d like to know what it is. (I myself try to pronounce υ as /y/, except when it is short and adjacent to a back vowel, in which case it becomes /u/, as for example δύο.)
2. η. You usually make it short when unstressed. I would prefer it always long.

My current plan is to PL Book 4 next (because I’ve studied Geoffrey Steadman’s annotated edition of Books 1 and 4), and then get back to Book 3 afterwards. Are you aware of annotated student editions comparable to Steadman’s, or Jerram’s Book 2, for the other books?
Many thanks, Ariphron! The scope of your corrections is just perfect. I'm indeed aware of my limitations and I'm always striving for improvement. I'll try to follow up on your constructive criticism. Especially about the pronunciation of the υ, a vowel which doesn't exist in Italian (it exists in the dialect of Milan, but I'm from Ferrara!). Feel free to PL according to whatever order your prefer. I don't know about the annotated editions, sorry!
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Notes on Section 12:

(9:03) 1.19 I heard: καλώ τε ἀγαθὼ Written: καλώ τε καὶ ἀγαθὼ

(9:10) 1.20 I heard: ἀποκρίνετα Written: ἀποκρίνεται

(14:50) 2.4 I heard: ἐπαύσαντον Written: ἐπαύσαντο

(16:05) 2.7 I heard: ἐφθέγξαντο Written: ἐφθέγξατο

(18:26) Burst of noise
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Ariphron wrote: January 31st, 2019, 10:37 am Notes on Section 12:

(9:03) 1.19 I heard: καλώ τε ἀγαθὼ Written: καλώ τε καὶ ἀγαθὼ

(9:10) 1.20 I heard: ἀποκρίνετα Written: ἀποκρίνεται

(14:50) 2.4 I heard: ἐπαύσαντον Written: ἐπαύσαντο

(16:05) 2.7 I heard: ἐφθέγξαντο Written: ἐφθέγξατο

(18:26) Burst of noise
Many thanks, Ariphron. Section 12 is ready for spot PL. Cheers!
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Section 19 (28:28) is ready for PL. Cheers!
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Notes on Section 13:

Significant DC offset of roughly -0.08, beginning to 24:16, ending with sharp click

(6:31) 3.13 I heard: σπείσα Written: σπείσας

(6:41) Burst of noise

(7:19) 3.15 I heard: ἔτι ὀ ὑπομένειν Written: ἔτι ὑπομένειν

(8:33) 3.18 I heard: καὶ οὔπω Written: ἀλλ᾽οὔπω

(8:56) 3.20 I heard: ἀνέβαινε Written: ἐνέβαινε

(10:19) 3.23 I heard: Χειρίσοφο Written: Χειρίσοφος

(10:56) 3.24 I heard: ἀποχώρει Written: ἀπεχώρει

(13:07) 3.28 I heard: ἔνθε καὶ ἔνθεν Written: ἔνθεν καὶ ἔνθεν

(19:48) 4.11 I heard: ἐνταῦθαν ἐπιπίπτει Written: ἐνταῦθα ἐπιπίπτει

(23:23) 4.19 I heard: Σοφαίνετοι Written: Σοφαίνετον

(23:38) 4.20 I heard: κατατιδόντες Written: κατιδόντες

(24:41) 4.22 Click
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Many thanks! Section 13 hopefully corrected and ready for spot PL. Cheers!
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Section 12 Spot PL OK!
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Section 13 Spot PL OK!
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Section 20 (26:36) ready for PL. Cheers!
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Sec. 21 (26:29) is ready for PL. Cheers!
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Section 14 (IV 5-6) Notes

(2:06) 5.4 I heard: τριάχοντα Written: τριάκοντα

(6:40) 5.15 I heard: ὑπολείποντο Written: ὑπελείποντο

(11:17) 5.24 I heard: βασιλεῖς Written: βασιλεῖ

(11:39) 5.25 I heard: κατέγειοι Written: κατάγειοι

(11:41) 5.25 I heard: στόμαν Written: στόμα

I also noticed, but did not post notes for, an added nu that I would describe as an incorrect application of the movable-nu, some short bursts of static noise, and some background noises (children playing?). If you would like me to post notes in those categories going forward, please let me know.

Sorry about the delay since my last set of PL notes.