[COMPLETE]Venus Boy by Lee Sutton - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Venus Boy by Lee Sutton (1916 - 1978).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/venus-boy-by-lee-sutton/

If you ever make a trip to the green planet of Venus, the first thing you'll see will be the fifty-foot high statue of Venus' greatest hero. It stands on the very top of towering New Plymouth Rock at the edge of the old colony of New Plymouth. Even from the rocket cradle, anyone can tell that the statue is of a twelve-year-old boy smiling up at the Venusian jewel bear perched on his shoulder. Cut into the huge rock below the statue are the words,

"Virgil Dare (Johnny) Watson
And the Marva, Baba.
May their Friendship Endure!"

Virgil Dare Watson, called Johnny by his friends, was the first human being born on Venus. He was named after Virginia Dare, the first pioneer child born in North America, and for a long time he was the only child on all Venus. And that would have been a lonely thing to be if it had not been for Baba. Baba, the bear, was not only Johnny's pet, but his best friend, too, and the only one who knew about his three secrets.

Because of these secrets, Johnny got himself, his jewel bear, Baba, and the whole colony of New Plymouth into desperate trouble. And because of these secrets, he also became a hero worthy of a statue—Venus' greatest hero. (Preface) ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/50702
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: Qv8JChhe

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Lee Sutton) : n/a

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 17
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known):
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Vénus, colonies, first human

============================================[/size]

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Venus Boy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Venus Boy, by Lee Sutton. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Venus Boy by Lee Sutton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Venus Boy, by Lee Sutton. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename venusboy_##_sutton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. venusboy_01_sutton_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Lee Sutton
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Venus Boy

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Readers Wanted!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I could do Sections 1, 2 and 3
Russ Bruno
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Shasta wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:30 pm I could do Sections 1, 2 and 3

They are yours, thanks Russ!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Thank you. Are we not reading the introductory piece entitled A Hero of Venice? If we are, I could read it and, if so, what would it be entitled?
Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I volunteer to do the whole book. Tell me when it has to be finished. If I don't think I can finish by then, I'll back off and let you know. Will that work?
Russ Bruno
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

The book is yours! I don't have a deadline for this project, so whenever you get it done is fine with me. Since you want to read the introductory piece, you could title it "Introduction of Venus Boy by Lee Sutton." Then add the rest of the normal LV intro. I will move us over to Going Solo. One question, have you done a solo project yet? If you have not, you can use the shorter solo intro for sections 1-18, but use the longer one for the introduction section (which I will add right now). Let me know if you have or not, then I can give you the shorter intro.

Moving on to Going Solo! :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

First of all, there is a problem calling up this site. I ordinarily call up these sites by clicking on the title in My LV catalog. But when I click in this title MY LV catalog just comes up again instead of this page. Not true for the other MY LV catalog titles. So then I have been going to Readers Wanted Books and clicking on the title there and that has worked but now that readers are no longer wanted for this book it is not listed there. I finally got here by doing a "search". Is there some way you can activate the title under MY LV catalog so that it brings me here when I click on it or point me to a quick and easy way to get here?

No, I have never done a solo before. I need more specificity regarding what you mean about the intros. Perhaps you could show me exactly what you mean in another post.
Russ Bruno
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, I fixed the link for this project, so that when you click it on your catalog page, it will come here.

Now, for the shortened intro, here is my current solo project. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=69392 You will find what I am talking about in the usual spot where we tell you what you are supposed to say for the intro. I will also paste it here.

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
"Chapter [number] of The Lives of the Queens of England, Volume 8. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
Say:
"The Lives of the Queens of England, Volume 8, by Agnes and Elizabeth Strickland. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
"Chapter [number] of The Lives of the Queens of England, Volume 8 by Agnes and Elizabeth Strickland. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"

It is not required that you use the shorter intro, but most soloists do use it because saying the full intro gets a little old.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Thanks for your very effective help. Clicking here went beautifully.

And for intro guidance. I will indeed use the shorter version for later chapters. Probably won't get going until Saturday.

Met with my favorite orthopedist today. Will be having right knee joint replacement in a month or so. Maybe on my 93rd birthday on September 22. Lots of funs. :?:
Russ Bruno
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Shasta wrote: August 9th, 2018, 9:20 pm Thanks for your very effective help. Clicking here went beautifully.

And for intro guidance. I will indeed use the shorter version for later chapters. Probably won't get going until Saturday.

Met with my favorite orthopedist today. Will be having right knee joint replacement in a month or so. Maybe on my 93rd birthday on September 22. Lots of funs. :?:

Nice birthday present, I think!?! Maybe he can wait until September 23 or 24, at least you could enjoy your birthday, before going through the pain and torture!

I think what I will do for you is to make the first post into a solo project post instead of the group project one. That way, you will have exactly what you need for the intros.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here is the Introduction.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/venusboy_introductionofvenusboy_sutton_128kb.mp3 Time: 2:48

As it turns out my knee operation will be October 2nd, the first available date.
Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I just discovered an editing error, so ignore the Introduction I just uploaded. I have corrected the error and will now upload the corrected version.
Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here is the corrected version of the Introduction.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/venusboy_introductiontovenusboy_sutton_128kb.mp3 Time: Same as for the one with the error.
Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno